Do ebikes take the fun out of cycling ?

flik9999

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2016
london
And im sure it feels great for an old or disable person who used to ride road bike but doesn't have the strength to power along at 10-15 mph uphill to be able to still do that with a little help from a little friend.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now my ebike is a stock legal one, it does however cut out at 18-19 mph maybe the manufacturer should look into that.
Not a legal design then, the legal assist speed limit at which motor cut out must occur is 15.5 mph.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

flik9999

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2016
london
give it ten years and the non electric bikes will be a thing of the past as the rate of development on them atm and huge sales still rising and now also in the us as well.

just look at the 26inc wheel and the jump to 27.5 for a example. and sram will no longer make a front mech as with 11/12 spd you only need one front chain ring.

they will just get more powerful and get batts that last a lot longer and smaller in size mostly down to tesla and Panasonic.
I really doubt that with our stupid regulations. Most ordinary people are not gonna pick a bike that is slower, heavier and requires charging and electrical maintenance. Over a cheap road bike that goes at the same speed.

We are happy to overclock, but dongles and some are happy to outright break the law and hope they dont get caught but I dont think your everyday, buy a bike to go around the city type is gonna want to do that.

In london most the bikes I see are either high end roadies, hybrids or old 10 speed racers.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
I would say the Ebike has put fun back into my cycling
at 62 a bit over weight but a reasonable fitness (ie can do 40 offroad miles in the yorkshire dale rides but only at my pace on the normal bike ) but like to ride with mates but they are younger and fitter .
I felt bad holding them up on the climbs ( no problem going down ) and if I tried to go quicker on the ups I would get knackered and not enjoy the ride .

So getting the ebike has nullified the fitness gap and it is great fun again going up the climbs .
in fact coming from a motorbike trials back ground I can attempt rough stuff on the ebike which is impossible for me on the regular bike . and am getting up stuff I could never clean in my younger days

Fun with added fun for me cant wait for spring and dry trails
this was when the fun hit home on a demo Ebike and was the deciding factor on me buying an Ebike

I still ride the normal bike to keep the fitness up but big days out with mates its the Fun-E-Bike for sure

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Unfortunately Reynaud's just gets worse with age, the temperature at which it operates rising. These days I can start to lose the circulation and feeling in fingers at as high as 15 degrees C.

Not too much of a problem in retirement though, since I can just choose when to go out and for how long.
Yes, that's the thing and a big part of life also to contend with, when we get older our natural healing system devices diminishes rapidly. Chickenpox had been passed on to me at a very late stage of my life and I have never been that jolly energetic person again.
This is why owning an ebike has really and truly transformed my life big time, so in that case flecc I exactly know where you are coming from.

MS.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
at 62 a bit over weight but a reasonable fitness (ie can do 40 offroad miles in the yorkshire dale rides but only at my pace on the normal bike ) but like to ride with mates but they are younger and fitter .
I felt bad holding them up on the climbs ( no problem going down ) and if I tried to go quicker on the ups I would get knackered and not enjoy the ride .

So getting the ebike has nullified the fitness gap and it is great fun again going up the climbs .
in fact coming from a motorbike trials back ground I can attempt rough stuff on the ebike which is impossible for me on the regular bike . and am getting up stuff I could never clean in my younger days

this was when the fun hit home on a demo Ebike and was the deciding factor on me buying an Ebike

I still ride the normal bike to keep the fitness up but big days out with mates its the Fun-E-Bike for sure

I do like the style of the fat bike, good looking machine

You will need some enormous mud guards or you are going to get covered in ship

• Agree

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch

That's a great video! :)

You're still working. But you can actually enjoy the views without blowing a gasket. I've subscribed to you on youtube in the hope that it won't be your last. So, please don't overdo it on your 'fatty bike'. :D

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012

Now, that's what I call real leg power.

MS.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
That's a great video! :)

You're still working. But you can actually enjoy the views without blowing a gasket. I've subscribed to you on youtube in the hope that it won't be your last. So, please don't overdo it on your 'fatty bike'. :D
Your right LeighPing, about blowing a gasket. Just looking at that under one minute video got me even huffing and puffing.

MS.

lovedoves

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 1, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne
I'm hoping having an ebike is going to put the fun back into cycling for me this summer.
Up to 4 years ago i used to live in the city and come spring would go for long evening rides (cycle tracks, i'm not a road cyclist unless i have to).

Then i moved to the countryside so i have a 20 mile daily commute, Since that time i had hardly used my bike for anything other than commuting as i feel like i need a rest from it at weekends.

I'm hoping since i got my ebike last October and am finding the commute so much easier,that this will encourage me to get out and about more when the summer comes.
I will probably use my non ebike for these rides but at least i will have some leg power and stamina spare.

Having my ebike has also meant that i have some energy left to go to the gym at work. The wife said a few months ago that my legs were much more toned than the rest of my body,so since then i have been determined to even things up a bit!
it's a win-win :cool:

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
I'm hoping having an ebike is going to put the fun back into cycling for me this summer.
Up to 4 years ago i used to live in the city and come spring would go for long evening rides (cycle tracks, i'm not a road cyclist unless i have to).

Then i moved to the countryside so i have a 20 mile daily commute, Since that time i had hardly used my bike for anything other than commuting as i feel like i need a rest from it at weekends.

I'm hoping since i got my ebike last October and am finding the commute so much easier,that this will encourage me to get out and about more when the summer comes.
I will probably use my non ebike for these rides but at least i will have some leg power and stamina spare.

Having my ebike has also meant that i have some energy left to go to the gym at work. The wife said a few months ago that my legs were much more toned than the rest of my body,so since then i have been determined to even things up a bit!

I was going to like this until I read the bit about the GYM !

You will love it.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

There are some parts of the body that even the gym cannot tone. Homework is necessary... Enjoy!

flik9999

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2016
london
Another thing that ebikes can be useful for is a re-entry into cycyling. Ride an ebike for a year try and push it so you can reach normal bike speeds.

After about a year you can switch over to a normal bike if thats your thing.
Even with the assistance you still have to work so you build muscle.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I have an ebike a Bafang mid drive converted bike. At first I was never off the bike but just recently I have had a tendency to ride my pedal powered bikes finding them to be more relaxing while also getting a bit more exercise. So do ebikes take the fun out of cycling what do you think ?
Definately NOT! Especially when you get older and have knackered knees. I can manage a regular bike on easy roads but the real fun, despite a restricted movement artificial knee, comes from using an ebike offroad and uphill.

• Agree

BillyBoy88

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2016
Paphos Cyprus

This is from youtube I thought it quite appropriate to this thread.

Is e-MTB lazy?

glenwatt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 5, 2017
London
I'm enjoying my 2nd week on my e-bike.

I'm now 53 and after getting my ankle fused and a broken / pinned shoulder, resulting in 4 ops over the last 3 years.
I can get out on my regular bikes, but it has been harder and harder to gain any fitness and loss some of the extra timber.

Finding I'm getting reasonable workout commuting the 26 mile round trip to work, but still have some energy left.
Did get called a cheat by a roadie at the lights yesterday, but only after he'd blown his guts out trying to catch up an old guy on an MTB before noticing the motor. :) How I laughed!

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Did get called a cheat by a roadie at the lights yesterday, but only after he'd blown his guts out trying to catch up an old guy on an MTB before noticing the motor. :) How I laughed!
Taking it to basics. There's a perfectly natural primal need, to show suffering, behind all this 'cheater' business. Working hard demonstrates and proves your ability to do your fair share of the workload, fight wars, and contribute to the hunt. To your fellow man. It shows that you're no shirker. We're tribal and competitive by nature after all.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.. :rolleyes:

Childhood.jpg

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
I wouldn't argue with your sentiment Leigh. We see it all the time. However some of us are oddballs. I have never wanted to compete against an individual. And as for tribal I've never even supported a team let alone been to a match.

A friend of mine took me to play squash for the first time in the 90s. After bashing it around a bit and me standing there mostly doing nothing. I reminded him once again that I had never played before . He apologised and pointed out that he was fiercely competitive. I had an inner smile at that . As I was a city trader with my own place. And he worked for the local council and lived at his mums.

I've always been relatively ambitious and had some so called high power jobs. Though not any more thank goodness . But I've never worried about 'beating' someone else. And frankly, someone trying to 'best' me on the road will either go unnoticed or get laughed at and waved by. I find it all a bit pointless. But realise I'm probably in the minority.