Do police even bother to check if an e-bike is legal?

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
"Own nothing and be happy" sounds like a good option when scenarios like this arise. Failing that there's always Bankruptcy.
Absolutely, if I had "nowt" then such individuals with the scruples I had the misfortune to encounter, would at best get "nowt".

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Only thing i am sure of is that as soon as i decide to push my chances and slap a bigger motor in/on a bike and hop on Plod will start to take a keen interest.. and a toddler will wander under my front wheel while a local yt influencer videos it..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

how can i make that go 150 mph and have a 30-50 mile range :D

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney and PC2017

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
His burping or farting might have altered his trajectory - if I had been crushed and possibly suffocated by this guy, a numberplate on his electric motorbike might have been useful. He'd have been protected by all that padding. It's the same for fat bouncers.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
His burping or farting might have altered his trajectory - if I had been crushed and possibly suffocated by this guy, a numberplate on his electric motorbike might have been useful. He'd have been protected by all that padding. It's the same for fat bouncers.

Stick a pin in the end of your right hand grip. Next time the guy comes so close, pop him with the pin so that he shrinks down to normal size, then, after that, he won't be such a danger to you anymore. It looks like there's quite a bit of pressure in him. Let's hope that he just goes down slowly rather than explode. According to this, you have to put Vaseline on the pin and aim for a dark spot to prevent popping:

• :D
Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You need one of those capsules Bond used in live and let die on the fatso black dude, he went bang not pop.

• :D
Reactions: guerney

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Well the chap running one of the friendliest bike shops i have visited is ridding about with a 1500w hub motor in his front wheel. and it looks as big as its rated.. His opinion is that as there are few youngsters taking the p^ss and causing trouble for the local plod so 'we' are not on their radar as yet?? Of course that may change..
And im pretty sure he is not ridding this 1500w powered ebike at silly speeds within the ring rd since an ebike is motorised and therefore unlike a pushbike Is obligated to follow speed limits.

Very nice bike tho,

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
And im pretty sure he is not ridding this 1500w powered ebike at silly speeds within the ring rd since an ebike is motorised and therefore unlike a pushbike Is obligated to follow speed limits.
I believe (but ???) that a legal pedelec ebike (250w/15.5mph) comes under exactly the same laws as a pushbike; including not being included in the speed limit laws (as long as unassisted at that speed of course).

Not that relevant in his case, he's probably breaking several other laws more important than the speed limit laws.

Reactions: thelarkbox

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
@sjpt thanks for the clarity, i only commented casually not intending to profess any expertise or special insight into the law.. I recently watched the utube linked somewhere in here iirc from 'Blackbelt Barrister' on cyclists and speeding.. That is the sum total of my pre comment in depth 'research'
In Depth Research

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I believe (but ???) that a legal pedelec ebike (250w/15.5mph) comes under exactly the same laws as a pushbike; including not being included in the speed limit laws (as long as unassisted at that speed of course).
That's correct in respect of the Road Traffic Acts speed limits, they are for motor vehicles.

However, local authority speed limits such as on promenades and those in enclosed private areas such as business depots and commercial estates do apply to everything, bicycles included.

manxcat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 20, 2021
I see people on blatantly illegal scooters and high power "bikes" all the time.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I see people on blatantly illegal scooters and high power "bikes" all the time.
Its rare that if I venture out onto the roads, either in my car or eBike, that I do not see a blatently illegal eBike as well as the normal illegal eScooters.

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell
There's a weird obsession on this forum about whether other Ebikes riders are legal or not.
Just ride your bike at the legal power/ speed limit if that's for you. But stop trying to police the rest of us who don't conform.

Imagine a car forum constantly going on about the top speed and power of everyone else's car and whether they are breaking the speed limits.

I have an illegal Ebike. I like assisted power over the 15mph limit and yes I am aware of the consequences.
However I am respectful for all vulnerable road and pavement users and probably even more so because I know I'm riding an illegal bike.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
But stop trying to police the rest of us who don't conform.
There is a rule of the forum, that you agreed to;.

"You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws."

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
There's a weird obsession on this forum about whether other Ebikes riders are legal or not.
Just ride your bike at the legal power/ speed limit if that's for you. But stop trying to police the rest of us who don't conform.

Imagine a car forum constantly going on about the top speed and power of everyone else's car and whether they are breaking the speed limits.

I have an illegal Ebike. I like assisted power over the 15mph limit and yes I am aware of the consequences.
However I am respectful for all vulnerable road and pavement users and probably even more so because I know I'm riding an illegal bike.
(When off road) is the simple addition to your statement required as lip service to keep all quiet wink wink ;)

since the evil inception of WWW2 moderators etc of forums and boards can be held liable for the idle gossip members can engage in so lets play the game and not put folk doing us a service at risk..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
(When off road) is the simple addition to your statement required as lip service to keep all quiet wink wink ;)

since the evil inception of WWW2 moderators etc of forums and boards can be held liable for the idle gossip members can engage in so lets play the game and not put folk doing us a service at risk..
moderators on here you on crack :p

i brake the speed limit the weed limit and the alcohol limit and then ride down the pub ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
been ten years pmsl plod round here gets mc Donald's delivered to there car windows from 1000w+ hub motors teams of them are out side most fast food take away :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
https://flic.kr/p/2jWP75v
that was a visit from cid, cider investigation debt imo about some missing money wakes me up at like 8am all 3 drops face masks when in house and has the bloody check to ask me to stop smoking i said feck off put ur mask back on then said is that weed yup :p

1 guy was more interested in my bike and where the dongle goes and where to get one from lmfao.