Do you leave your battery on the bike when you lock it?

Do you leave you battery on the bike whe you lock it?

• Yes most of the time.

Votes: 135 75.8%
  • No never.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • On rare occasions.

Votes: 19 10.7%

• Total voters

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I use a plastic coated curly steel rope lock that I permanently leave curled through my seat, my battery and my bike frame. I would strongly recommend this setup to everyone. That way everything's always locked to everything else. I also have the added bonus that if I'm leaving my bike somewhere a bit dodgy I can change it quickly so that it goes through my back wheel too. I then use a much stronger lock as my main lock to lock my front wheel and frame to anything handy.

I have a quick release seat and a battery + controller that clamps to the seat post so all it would take for someone to nick my battery and seat would be cutting the two wires that come out of the battery controller and lifting it off. Two seconds tops. So I was forced from the outset to take action.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As with all bike security, much depends on the length and pattern of parking.

If you leave a bike in the same place at the same time on the same days every week for the whole day, trouble is likely to head your way.

If the parking is like mine, at varying locations and times and usually for fairly short periods, the risks are very much lower and near zero, and even a single cable or chain lock for the bike only suffices.

There's no way I'm going to walk around the aisles in Sainsburys carrying my battery. If I had to do that I wouldn't bother e-biking.

alsmith

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2008
Northumberland
I suppose I could paint my post code on it, in some bright paint.
There is always the security kit with the bike registration stencil kit. Selectamark- stencil the number on the battery. They supply 2 stencils with the kit, and there is a transponder you fit into the bike.
I had heard my local police were giving free kits as awareness but the officer I asked didn't know anything about it.
:: Selectamark Security Systems Limited ::
the site shows a winter discount.
Welcome bike register

Anyone had experience of the kit wrt theft? I guess a big part is the visibility of the stickers and stenciled registration number which could put thieves off.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I think the design is also a big factor.

Some ebikes have batteries which are clearly difficult if not impossible to shift without the key (even if the locking mechanisms are basic); but for others as caph said it could be easy to nick the battery - and I expect this would be more of a risk with "DIY" bikes or conversions than proprietary battery models.

OTOH if the battery housing is left uncovered surely the connections are then vulnerable from weather or even idiots deliberately filling the space left with rubbish....

At least one advantage of a ebike (particularly a Powacycle or other SLA battery bike) is that without the key but with a heavy battery present it is not the sort of machine a thief could make a "fast getaway" on - unless they have a vehicle to haul away the bikes with, and in most cases this sort of organised criminal activity will eventually be noticed and stamped on by the bobbies..

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
unless they have a vehicle to haul away the bikes with, and in most cases this sort of organised criminal activity will eventually be noticed and stamped on by the bobbies..
Haha, no chance. That happens all the time with far heavier motorcycles and the police can't do much about it.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Haha, no chance. That happens all the time with far heavier motorcycles and the police can't do much about it.
depends on region I suppose - they certainly caught 'em here in East Anglia (where until recently cycles were even readily left unlocked!)

It of course took a fair few months for detectives to go through CCTV but it turned out to be a gang stealing bikes to "order" across the region (particularly from more "trusting" areas) and reselling them to students mostly in Cambridge. The warning to be more careful locking up bikes was given to all local media by an Area Commander (superintendent rank) rather than a mere bobby!

Last edited:

joanna

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2008
It of course took a fair few months for detectives to go through CCTV but it turned out to be a gang stealing bikes to "order" across the region (particularly from more "trusting" areas) and reselling them to students mostly in Cambridge.
Do they still have the annual cycle selling days in Cambridge? When I was a student the police used to sell off bikes they had confiscated and weren't claimed. You could get really good deals.

Both our Wisper and Powacycle that we have, have locks for the battery, so I leave them on, except when I am away for a long (more than 4 hours) time, or want to charge them (at work).

imellor

Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2006
I must admit, I have never given it a 2nd thought, I would have thought that if someone was keen enough to bypass the battery lock, they might as well just steal the whole bike.

Ian

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I must admit, I have never given it a 2nd thought, I would have thought that if someone was keen enough to bypass the battery lock, they might as well just steal the whole bike.

Ian
Usually the battery lock is pretty easy to pick compared to a proper cycle lock but it is still worth giving it some thought - see my previous post. In the end I think it is all down to location, length of stay etc. As Flecc points out it is fine to leave the battery when going to shops but I think you would be mad to leave it parked in a London street every day (especially at the same location) with the battery still on the bike.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
When out the bike is rarely left unattended for long (30 minutes max). If I were to leave it all day then I think I would take the battery with me, as the bike without the power from the battery is hard work to ride (has regeneration system in the motor) and they wouldn't get far if they had to ride it.

I usually loop the cable lock through the carry handle of the battery, so it acts as a second lock. However there’s nothing to stop someone with a screwdriver undoing the screws holding the handle to the battery and freeing it from the cable lock. If they can then work the battery lock then they could have it away. But the time needed to beat two locks greatly increases the chances of being seen or me coming back and catching them - bad news for them on both counts.

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Charging required

I never leave my battery (batteries) on my bike but this is mainly because I need to rechage all at the end of my journey. Working in Hackney I have resisted the temptation to stop at the many shops in Hackney on my route to work. I sometimes pop out again with one battery, but even then carry it with me in the shops or offices I visit, taking care to lock my bike to an immovable object and with additional cables through both wheels and the saddle.

Conal

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
One of the main advantages (disadvantages?) is that batteries aren't interchangable between different makes bikes, if there was a universal battery then the temptation for theives to move into taking electric bikes would be high & growing all the time.

The battery is locked into place on my Urban Mover UM36 (just spent £300 on having lots of bits replaced after 2 years & 4000+ miles; brake levers, gear lever, all cables, throttle, pedal sensor, cranks, pedals, bottom bracket, headset, tyres, innertubes) so haven't really worried about it getting nicked as I live in a pretty rural area - but doesn't mean bike theft doesn't exist - and don't often leave it locked up in a public place where there aren't people around. But saying that people don't give a toss when they see a bike being nicked - YouTube - How to steal a bike in NYC

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
But saying that people don't give a toss when they see a bike being nicked - YouTube - How to steal a bike in NYC
If I saw a bloke like that holding an easy weapon then there's a good chance I'd decide I didn't give a toss about someone elses bike. Though if I saw someone trying with a hacksaw I'd tell the police as there's a 50/50 chance they will get there in time. In reality thieves don't get all dressed up in safety gear and power their angle grinder from a street sign, nor do they use hacksaws or carry bolt croppers around for all to see. Much larger bolt croppers can by hidden in a coat and the other tool is an easilly hidden bottle jack, both work very quickly against many locks.

seeker

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2008
Security Bolts

Not convenient when bikes like some Wispers come without tilting saddles to release the battery from the frame.
I changed the QR saddle bolt on my wisper for a 'Pinhead Components' bolt. it comes with a special lever/handle a little bigger than a key so it can't be undone with spanner and is still almost as convienient as a QR.

Plus, on a wisper, it has the added advantage of being able to secure the battery in place. (not for me though, cos I'm too tall).

Regards,

Seeker

seeker

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2008
Wow!

That sounds good Seeker, I hadn't heard of those.
You mean I've managed to contribute something to the forum that you didn't already know!?!:eek:

How often does that happen;)

Of course I mean that in a respectful awe kind-of-way to your well earned guru status:D

regards

seeker

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Quite often in fact!

I have a folder of many files from which I copy and paste various links and items, and quite a few contain the name of the source member so I can credit them when I use the content.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

If I am in the countryfields I leave it open if I am outside bargain booze at the end of the council estate i lock it up and keep the door open in the shop to keep my eye on the vandals. One of them actually throw flour and eggs at me when i was unlocking. I like the lock on aggatu for quick get away.

Thx

Bob

seeker

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2008
Above and Beyond!

Hi

If I am in the countryfields I leave it open if I am outside bargain booze at the end of the council estate i lock it up and keep the door open in the shop to keep my eye on the vandals. One of them actually throw flour and eggs at me when i was unlocking. I like the lock on aggatu for quick get away.

Thx

Bob
Gosh Bob!!:eek:
Surely there's a safer way to get a drink?;)

Supermack

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2009
Greater London, HA3
I have been thinking about this for a while.

I asked my supplier, and the replacement value of a battery is £200..so it is definitely worth a form of security.

I think the current security that I rely on, is that of the mysterious image of pedelecs. I think a lot of people don't really know what that large block of battery is, let alone if it is valuable.

However, being bitten many times, I have come up with a solution to lock the battery.

Hope it works!

Last edited: