Do You Wear Full Face Helmet?

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi all.I wouldn't even go to the local shop without a helmet on ?? I have had 2 accidents over the last few years which actually smashed my helmet so badly they came apart!! ( and no not cheap ones )and the last time it knocked me out and that was low speed on a cycle path.I think it is up to the individual as to weather they wear a helmet or not but if you don't wear one then you should think very hard as to the cost to your family who may have to look after someone who is totally dependent on them and also the huge cost to the nhs !!!! I no it's the worse case scenario and it won't happen to you ????.
Regards Steve

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Steve, I started cycling 68 years ago long before there was such a thing as a cycle helmet. I've never worn one and never will.

Hi all.I wouldn't even go to the local shop without a helmet on ?? I have had 2 accidents over the last few years which actually smashed my helmet.
I haven't had any such accidents, ever.

if you don't wear one then you should think very hard as to the cost to your family who may have to look after someone who is totally dependent on them
At 78 years I've outlived most of my family.

also the huge cost to the nhs !!!!
Being a cyclist has helped to keep me fit and I've cost the NHS hardly anything compared to most my age. Some of those I've outlived cost the NHS vast sums, perhaps if they'd exercised like me by cycling, with or without a helmet, they'd have cost the NHS far less.

I no it's the worse case scenario and it won't happen to you ????.
Well, my odds are looking pretty good don't you think?

You see Steve, it's all too easy to be blinkered about such a subject. As you see above on NHS costs, there's always many aspects to consider before reaching a conclusion. The country in the world with the most cycling, The Netherlands, has the least helmet wearing and the lowest cycling accident rates. That's because, like me, they ride sensibly knowing they have no special protection.

Reactions: Shane Kelly and D C

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I have had 2 accidents over the last few years which actually smashed my helmet so badly they came apart!!
I had a couple of accidents on the road when I was younger but I managed to roll with them and avoid banging my head. Now I'm older and wiser I seem to be able to avoid accidents situations. Sometimes I go out with a helmet, sometimes I don't. Even if I'm going off road and I know the route isn't too knarly I'll leave the helmet at home - just feels much nicer without one.

In fact, the only accident I've had recently was getting on my bike outside my house and I dislocated my knee and collapsed into a heap on the floor!

I think it is up to the individual as to weather they wear a helmet or not
+1

if you don't wear one then you should think very hard as to the cost to your family who may have to look after someone who is totally dependent on them
I don't work anymore so they'll be ok, especially with the hefty life insurance I have.

and also the huge cost to the nhs !!!!
It's ok, I've already paid enough in for that as well.

I no it's the worse case scenario and it won't happen to you ????.
If I worried about worst case scenarios I'd never get out of bed and avoid the myriad of other fun things I do as well besides cycling. I wouldn't drive a two seater sports car with no windscreen, no roof, no ABS, no traction control and no airbags for one!

Reactions: flecc

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
I am not keen on them, there uncomfortable, but I do wear one, nagging from her indoors, being an ex motorcyclist, dangerous car drivers, all this and more tells me I need to wear it. Its a cheap Lidl one, so no trendy name on it, hope its never needed ;-)... No its not full faced, cant see me ever wearing one of them on a bicycle.

Barry J

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2014
No. Didnt really want to wear one at all. capitulated under pressure and bought a stars and stripey Nutcase.