Does anyone ever have to get off their pedal assist on really big hills?

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Hi

Well I'm very pleased with my Raleigh Leeds Tour low step. It is a delight to ride, having adjusted it all to my comfort. I rode it home from the shop and although it was quite hard work compared with the throttle of the Ezee etc, I had every confidence when pulling away at junctions etc. It feels much lighter, and so much like a normal bike.

I'd say it was much improved on my earlier Giant Lafree, but having only been out on it twice, I find the hills are a challenge. I've managed to get up the ones I need to using 1st or 2nd gear, as I've discovered it is almost as easy to use the 2nd gear as to use the 1st, but my legs don't seem that strong at the moment, but will improve hopefully the more I use the bike. Uphill on the way out may be difficult, but at least it's downhill all the way home, especially if I do some shopping while I'm out. It's also an added issue that my roads/hills out of the village are narrow and one-way with parked cars, and when you have a bus or a lorry behind you, you just know they are wanting you to go faster, or get off and push so they can pass more safely !!

The bike is completely silent which is great. I can balance at almost stationary very easily. On the whole I'm very pleased with it. I do realise that maybe a higher assist level such as that on the Agutta being 1:2 (I believe) would maybe iron out the hills just that little bit more, I'm not sure what the Raleigh assist ratio is, however, I've made my choice and I did want the bike to cause me to exercise somewhat. I have geat peace of mind that I was able to get my bike through my usual local bike shop for obvious reasons.

My question is what is the ratio of assist with the Raleigh compared with others? And am I a weakling !! or is it a fact that at times others with pedal assist do sometimes have to push up the peak of a hill, or a long hill, especially before they became fitter/stronger?
Thanks.
Jeanette

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
There is a bit of a nack getting the best out of the 26v Panasonic drive when hill climbing. someone will be along soon to explain. You have gone from one of the most powerful hub bikes going, so it going to be a bit of a learning curve.

Like I said in your earlier post the latest 36v systems (Bosch/Panasonic/Impulse) are stronger.......

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure it is also 2 times in high power mode Jeanette. You've already found th best way to use it, don't change gear down too far and pedal fast, it's best to leave the gear for climbing a touch on the high side and pedal more slowly to get the maximum power from the unit. As Eddie says, it is a knack which you'll quickly master, and your fitness is bound to improve at the same time.

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Thanks Flecc and Eddieo

That makes sense, as I found out today when going up the hill in 2nd rather than 1st. Over the weekend I'll try concentrating on technique rather than expecting it to carry me up like the Ezee. I had considered standing but this didn't seem a good idea as I'd be a bit uneven finding my balance on the pedals this way (I thought).

I thought the 36v would be just that little bit more powerful, but would it be that much greater than the 25v as they both have a 250w motor? (you can tell I'm not electricaknowledgeableable).

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
You've discovered Jeanette that the Raleigh is a bicycle first and foremost with a little bit of electric assistance rather than a low-powered moped.

I get annoyed when inquisitive people imagine that my bike can go up hills without any input from me but those are folk who are familiar somehow with those ebikes which are really mopeds. There are times when I find it difficult on some hills but I always feel that I've achieved something when I manage it. If I can't, I stop for a minute then do the rest. I really don't want a bike with a throttle that'll go up hills without me pedalling.....that's just not cricket in my book.....it's not even cycling either, come to that!

Anyway, you will get fitter and you will adapt yourself to the Panasonic system so you get the best out of it.

Enjoy,
Indalo

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
You've discovered Jeanette that the Raleigh is a bicycle first and foremost with a little bit of electric assistance rather than a low-powered moped.
That's it exactly Indalo - now you have put it that way - I realise that is actually what I want, because I need the exercise and have recently been doing classes and treadmill at my gym, the bike is an added extra to get there - 6 miles away (with hills - hee hee !) and in particular it is not for a journey to work with a time limit for getting there - I used to commute to work on my Ezee a few years ago, but my life is very different now. Thank you for putting it so succinctly. I too enjoy havine my hands "free" as it were withouth the throttle, and the noise.

I should like to report that I have just been out for a further 10 miles - in the rain !! - practising on the hills that were troubling me - and concentrating on technique of relaxing the upper half of my body, ensuring firm even pedaling, and changing down gear later on the hill - I managed them pretty well, even with traffic behind me, so thanks for the advice Flecc. I also like the way the assist works on hill starts, it seems more controlled (to me) - just got to make sure the other foot is quick to reach the other pedal in time!

I'm soaking wet now tho' and because one of the roads was a true "country" road and a tractor had just been along it - I got my lovely new shiny bike christened with mud - so I've been outside cleaning it and me !!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Its just that the latest 36v crank drive bikes are more powerful and have more get up and go....

Deano

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 3, 2012
You need to be using the bike at least 3 times a week, at least. If you've had a lazy lifestyle then your legs will be a bit week. Once you start using them it takes six weeks for the muscles to build cells called mitacondria to burn the sugars so be a bit more patient.

Get the length of the pedal stroke right. When pedal fully down your leg should be near fully extended. Don't go to full extension cause your jar the joints on every end stroke. You'll deliver more power that way.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
:cool:Jeanette,
When we took on the BH Emotion range of bikes I tried both the Panasonic and Bosch crank drives,the Panasonic was very smooth but I felt it lacked the power on the hills. However,we took three Kudos bikes out for test recently-the BH Bosch powered Xenion 650,Neo Extreme Samsung 700 and Kudos Suzhou Bafang hub drive. The Bosch allowed you to be a lazy rider,it had low speed torque which allowed you to go up hills in low gear using minimal effort but not necessarily fast. The Neo Extreme had amazing rapid low speed acceleration but once up to 5mph it felt like most hub drives,the kick in of the power was instant making it ideal for off road type usage. I expected the Kudos Eco to be outclassed by the others,for there is over £1k difference in the cost but it pulled up the hills the equal of the others. However I have recently changed my riding technique on these hub drive bikes,it is better to be in a higher gear and go up the hills faster,this initially feels like more effort but you soon realise that the hub motor is working more efficiently at the higher speed and the overal effort to climb the hill is less.
On the flat I prefer hub drive,or more precisely I prefer speed sensor as opposed to torque sensor,it seems much easier to sustain a cruise mode-the action of rotating the pedals keeps the power on but with the torque sensor of the Bosch system it is necessary to maintain some pressure on the pedals to maintain power.
So in conclusion,if my cycling was primarily flat or with gentle inclines with only the occassional hill and I was averagely fit I would save the £1k and go hub drive
If my cycling was mainly steep hills and I lacked the fitness to maintain a good speed up hills then the Bosch crank drive would be a good investment.
If my cycling was mainly off road then the Neo Extreme with it's rapid acceleration would be a good choice.
If you have the horrible hill that is really easier to push the bike up, the Auto mode on the PAS is not always understood,it really is a mode that allows you to ghost along the flat at 4 mph without pedalling,it is also useful to use the motor to power the bike up very steep hills when walking alongside,at least you don't have to push the bike up a hill-not sure if your Raleigh has that facility but would be good to check.
All my personal opinions but I was with 2 other Kudos guys,both more experienced cyclists than me,and both younger and fitter than me,but we all reached similar conclusions.
The Kudos London 'try an e-bike' on May 27 at the Redbridge Cycling Centre will have all these bikes for test rides,I will be very interested in others opinions.
Dave
KudosCycles

Last edited:

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
When I tried several bikes out I preferred a crank driven bike to get me up hills. I live in a very hilly area. If I haven't ridden it for a while I notice how unfit I've become and it takes extra effort to get up the hill (more puffed out) but I never have to get off.

Hope this helps