Does anyone ride a moped?

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
After a close pass this morning I wondered if having a rear number plate would cause the idiot few drivers who like to overtake on the same side of the road to actually follow the highway code guidance for passing distance.

The last time I rode a moped was in the 1970s & I think driving habits have changed a lot since then.

My thought was if car drivers etc give more room to mopeds/motorbikes then I could stick a made up number plate on the back of the cycle.

Any thoughts?

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
After a close pass this morning I wondered if having a rear number plate would cause the idiot few drivers who like to overtake on the same side of the road to actually follow the highway code guidance for passing distance.

The last time I rode a moped was in the 1970s & I think driving habits have changed a lot since then.

My thought was if car drivers etc give more room to mopeds/motorbikes then I could stick a made up number plate on the back of the cycle.

Any thoughts?
Does any one ride a moped?

NOBODY IS GONG TO ADMIT TO THAT!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Any thoughts?
Trouble is you'd probably get stopped by the traffic police thinking you were L1e-A/B registered and not wearing a m/c helmet, or having a false number plate and/or having no insurance.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Stick some pointy Boudica titanium trafficators on ya bike.....

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Yes one of my powered machines is a Moped . I bought the Suzuki CS50DZ `Roadie`new in 1982 and it has done just over 11,000 miles or once around the clock plus a bit . It`s always passed the MOT`s too ! A bit slow at 30 mph and only 2.4 hp when new . My other Suzuki is a 1982 X7 250 , considerably faster . I wouldn`t bother with a number plate , it might attract the wrong attention .

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes one of my powered machines is a Moped . I bought the Suzuki CS50DZ `Roadie`new in 1982 and it has done just over 11,000 miles or once around the clock plus a bit . It`s always passed the MOT`s too ! A bit slow at 30 mph and only 2.4 hp when new . My other Suzuki is a 1982 X7 250 , considerably faster . I wouldn`t bother with a number plate , it might attract the wrong attention .
You've had it all that time and still not taken the washer out of the exhaust header?

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Must be pre-washer time as I have never seen one . The machine is a 3 Speed Auto and gear changes can only be slightly encouraged by judicious use of the throttle . A tyre change from 3.00x10 to 3.50x10 to gain a bit of higher cruising speed in top didn`t work as the power is not there . A slope and following wind is much more useful or if no-one is looking adopting a prone position gains a few miles per hour . If a large truck appears in the single rear view mirror a convenient layby is handy . Yes in 1982 only a RH rear view mirror was fitted .

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I'd much rather ride an e-bike than a 30 mph moped, I think they're really dangerous with being so slow.
IMG_20190831_174733 - Copy.jpg

Reactions: MontyPAS

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Did you take the exhaust off and look. It's like a cup washer pressed into the exhaust header. You lever it out with a screwdriver.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I'd much rather ride an e-bike than a 30 mph moped, I think they're really dangerous with being so slow.
View attachment 39133
There's loads of tuning stuff for the DAX. You can go up to 175cc engine or there's a race twin cam 125cc. There are upside down forks, disc brake wheels, gas suspension, exhausts and everything.

I had one before all this stuff was available. I put in an older engine (70CC), which has much bigger exhaust and inlet ports plus an extra 20cc, then changed the carb to one off the SS50 5-speed, and it would run straight up to 55 mph, and kept wheelieing. Pre- conversion, I did a lap of the TT circuit on mad Sunday with my mate on the back - 12 mph up the mountain was a bit hairy with people coming from behind at 150 mph. The ones below are examples, not mine,

Last edited:
Reactions: Artstu

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
There's loads of tuning stuff for the DAX. you can go up to a twin cam 175cc engine. there are upside down forks, disc brake wheels, gas suspension, exhausts and everything.

I had one before all this stuff was available. I put in an older engine (70CC), which has much bigger exhaust and inlet ports plus an extra 20cc, then changed the carb to one off the SS50 5-speed, and it would run straight up to 55 mph, and kept wheelieing. Pre- conversion, I did a lap of the TT circuit on mad Sunday with my mate on the back - 12 mph up the mountain was a bit hairy with people coming from behind at 150 mph. The ones below are examples, not mine,

Yes I should have said mine is modded now, does about 70 now, it has ZZR1400 owners saying things like this :)

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020

Any thoughts?

The only thing I've found to stop close overtakes is to fit a traffic boom (post #16 for pics):

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
The only thing I've found to stop close overtakes is to fit a traffic boom (post #16 for pics):

Cheers
I did think about these, but whilst they would work for me on the main road with fast traffic overtaking me continuously within two miles I come to a village with multiple traffic lights, so I then undertake all of those vehicles that have just passed me, but on narrow urban streets, only just wide enough for the width of the bike.
I fear it would be dangerous to lean over & release the boom, whilst moving in heavy traffic.
Has anyone made an automatic version that pops out & back powered by electricity?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Cheers
I did think about these, but whilst they would work for me on the main road with fast traffic overtaking me continuously within two miles I come to a village with multiple traffic lights, so I then undertake all of those vehicles that have just passed me, but on narrow urban streets, only just wide enough for the width of the bike.
I fear it would be dangerous to lean over & release the boom, whilst moving in heavy traffic.
Has anyone made an automatic version that pops out & back powered by electricity?
The hinge point is just below the handle bars, so you don't have to lean over to do anything. I quite often fold it and unfold it as I filter through traffic.

However, it would be possible to make an automatic version. You could have an ultrasonic rangefinder on the front of the bike and when it detects obstacles ahead it triggers a microcontroller, which activates a servo to fold the boom automatically. Then when the obstacles are out of the way, it could unfold the boom again.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
The hinge point is just below the handle bars, so you don't have to lean over to do anything. I quite often fold it and unfold it as I filter through traffic.

However, it would be possible to make an automatic version. You could have an ultrasonic rangefinder on the front of the bike and when it detects obstacles ahead it triggers a microcontroller, which activates a servo to fold the boom automatically. Then when the obstacles are out of the way, it could unfold the boom again.
Cheers

I'll have a closer look at your pictures to see how the hinge works, as it needs to be stiff enough to withstand air pressure at cruising speed but release with finger pressure

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Cheers

I'll have a closer look at your pictures to see how the hinge works, as it needs to be stiff enough to withstand air pressure at cruising speed but release with finger pressure
Yes, I used a Nylock nut to help set the tension just right, which took a bit of experimentation. With a bit of development, you could make a locking release catch, so you push a button before it folds.

Or you could even put a servo on the boom, controlled by a two position push button on the handlebars.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk