Does Anyone Use A Portable Light Weight Generator To Charge Up?

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Hi everyone so I do a lot of mileage on my bike and this summer Ill be doing a lot of camping fishing trips and want a small light weight reliable portable generator and because Ill be pulling a cargo trailer Ill be transporting it in that. Does anyone use one and if so what was your choice and why? And how does it preform? Obviously I want the lightest possible and don't want it too loud but weight and reliability are my main concern

Candpdoyle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 29, 2017
Waterford, Ireland
Hi everyone so I do a lot of mileage on my bike and this summer Ill be doing a lot of camping fishing trips and want a small light weight reliable portable generator and because Ill be pulling a cargo trailer Ill be transporting it in that. Does anyone use one and if so what was your choice and why? And how does it preform? Obviously I want the lightest possible and don't want it too loud but weight and reliability are my main concern
What about a light weight solar panel? 100w panel with a decent controller would probably be good and weigh a lot less than a genny

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

I've done it. I built a special trailer for mine. Note the exhaust extension out the back and the access for the starting handle. I could charge the spare battery while towing to save annoying people at the campsite. There's a lock on the lid to keep my stuff moderately safe when away from the camp-site.

The generator in the photo is a Kipor at 10kf, but I now have a Chinese one, which is quieter and only weighs 9kg - similar to this Clarkes one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarke-IG950-800W-Inverter-Generator-8877060/332492688396?epid=18004050560&hash=item4d6a1bcc0c:g:Ns4AAOSwDkVaOSrg

SANY0162.JPG SANY0164 (1).JPG

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
What about a light weight solar panel? 100w panel with a decent controller would probably be good and weigh a lot less than a genny

I've contemplated that but my wife will be going with me and she wants me to convert her a bike to electric so Ill have to charge two power packs up to twice day so solar just doesn't have the power I will need. Ill be biking there then need to charge then going out for the day so have to charge in the evening. Id also like to charge phones and camping lights so a generator would better suit my needs. I like the idea of solar but the cost and performance just doesn't seem good enough. I hear it can take 40 hours plus to charge a single battery on really sunny days

Candpdoyle

Dec 29, 2017
Waterford, Ireland
I've contemplated that but my wife will be going with me and she wants me to convert her a bike to electric so Ill have to charge two power packs up to twice day so solar just doesn't have the power I will need. Ill be biking there then need to charge then going out for the day so have to charge in the evening. Id also like to charge phones and camping lights so a generator would better suit my needs. I like the idea of solar but the cost and performance just doesn't seem good enough. I hear it can take 40 hours plus to charge a single battery on really sunny days
Fair enough [emoji106]been eyeing up some of the trailers on YouTube with mounted panels [emoji23] mount enough panels and you can power the bike direct [emoji2] not sure what happens on a rainy day though.

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
I've done it. I built a special trailer for mine. Note the exhaust extension out the back and the access for the starting handle. I could charge the spare battery while towing to save annoying people at the campsite. There's a lock on the lid to keep my stuff moderately safe when away from the camp-site.

The generator in the photo is a Kipor at 10kf, but I now have a Chinese one, which is quieter and only weighs 9kg - similar to this Clarkes one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarke-IG950-800W-Inverter-Generator-8877060/332492688396?epid=18004050560&hash=item4d6a1bcc0c:g:Ns4AAOSwDkVaOSrg

View attachment 24244 View attachment 24245
I was looking at the Clarke ones yesterday they do a few models but cant find any performance reviews on them so just wanted a few opinions. The Honda ones are supposed to be really reliable but the price is way more than some others

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I was looking at the Clarke ones yesterday they do a few models but cant find any performance reviews on them so just wanted a few opinions. The Honda ones are supposed to be really reliable but the price is way more than some others
I've been eying up the Honda EU series generators for years, but could never justify their price tag. Your post led me to take another look and it appears that you can pick up a used EU10i for anywhere between £3-450, which will likely give more service life than I'll certainly ever need.

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Fair enough
been eyeing up some of the trailers on YouTube with mounted panels
mount enough panels and you can power the bike direct
not sure what happens on a rainy day though.

I saw one bloke who got a small generator put it on a rear rack and charges his bike on the move. I wont be doing that but
I've been eying up the Honda EU series generators for years, but could never justify their price tag. Your post led me to take another look and it appears that you can pick up a used EU10i for anywhere between £3-450, which will likely give more service life than I'll certainly ever need.
This made me laugh it looks similar to the Clarke one

Last edited:

PeterCo

May 6, 2015
Most campsites will let you plug in and charge up your battery......usually for free when you ask nicely!

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
You could always simplify the process with one of these beauties! :D

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
You could always simplify the process with one of these beauties! :D

I don't think they are road legal in the UK without tax and insurance. They look fun though for off road use. I've never seen one in the UK but I've seen them on YouTube

Last edited:

Candpdoyle

Dec 29, 2017
Waterford, Ireland
I don't think they are road legal in the UK without tax and insurance. They look fun though for off road use
I have one of these, but it's currently with the garda...was stopped a few weeks ago and they confiscated it for testing [emoji44][emoji32] being waiting for ages to hear if they are going to prosecute or not..... I used mine for commuting for several months before being stopped.... which is why I bought my lecce bike [emoji23]

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
I have one of these, but it's currently with the garda...was stopped a few weeks ago and they confiscated it for testing [emoji44][emoji32] being waiting for ages to hear if they are going to prosecute or not..... I used mine for commuting for several months before being stopped.... which is why I bought my lecce bike [emoji23]

That's because there all taking it in turns to bomb it around the cop shop

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
50mph with rim brakes and no suspension means you're either stupid, mental or have balls the size of watermelons!
I've had 62mph out of my electric bike, Down hill mind you but I must have been in the zone that day because I didn't realise until 3 days later when I checked my top speed. but I have disk brakes and full suspention

Last edited: