Does having "Road Tax" on an e-bike make it go faster?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Yesterday whilst riding on a wide road in a 30 limit with bollards and other centrally constructed road furniture a white van managed to pass me on his third attempt by dodging oncoming cars and said road furiture. During the overtake he slowed down, rolled down the passenger widow and shouted "D1CK HEAD, GET SOME ROAD TAX!" Leaving asside the facts about there not being a road tax, and zero emission vehicles not paying it if there were, how would having road tax enable him to get around me quicker? It was laughable really, when he slowed down I expected some abuse, but not that! I chuckled about it all the way home.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
"I do pay road tax - and it's on a better car than yours."

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Yesterday whilst riding on a wide road in a 30 limit with bollards and other centrally constructed road furniture a white van managed to pass me on his third attempt by dodging oncoming cars and said road furiture. During the overtake he slowed down, rolled down the passenger widow and shouted "D1CK HEAD, GET SOME ROAD TAX!" Leaving asside the facts about there not being a road tax, and zero emission vehicles not paying it if there were, how would having road tax enable him to get around me quicker? It was laughable really, when he slowed down I expected some abuse, but not that! I chuckled about it all the way home.

You didn't say how fast you were traveling. The motorist could have been making the point about you doing motor cycle speeds without a motor cyclist tax and insurance. In other words that tax doesn't make you go faster, it just allows you to go faster.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
You didn't say how fast you were traveling. The motorist could have been making the point about you doing motor cycle speeds without a motor cyclist tax and insurance. In other words that tax doesn't make you go faster, it just allows you to go faster.
Nope. Old man with damaged knee and no dongle so not even doing the 15. Clearly I was in his way.. I expected a get out of my way you old bstd or some such, but he obviously was intelegent enough to know there was no logical critique he could offer.