Does spending £300 more make a difference?

Jefner

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 15, 2015
I have been told that bikes under £1000 have poorer quality components, but that the motor and battery are likely to be ok. I'm wondering if I may as well buy a £700 bike if I can't jump up to the next bracket which seems to be £1500 (and £1k is my absolute max). I suppose I need to know what difference it would make buying a £1000 bike rather than a £700 bike?
How I will use the bike: I have fluctuating energy levels and want a bike that will get me up and down hills with my shopping when I am am flagging without me having to put much effort in. It will be used in a hilly area, but mileage will generally be low, at around 10 miles per trip. I will have to lug it around a wee bit, so bike weight is important. I am 5'7, 10stone.

Reactions: Perseus

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Jefner,actually the jump between £700 and £1000 is probably the biggest leap in type of component rather than quality,for example...
The motor may change from SWX to BPM,stronger hill climbing
The display may change from 790 to King,more features
The gears may go from Tourney to Deore,still Shimano
The brakes,may go from mechanical to hydraulic,less strain.
The frame,rims and tyres will often be the same
The battery is likely to be the same.
The higher value may have led lights,rack and mudguards.
But the simpler may suit you and maybe all the accessories may not be required.
Hope that helps.
KudosDave

Reactions: Perseus

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sometimes little or no difference,. the pricing can be more a matter of supplier policy then a precise measure of value.

Given your power needs the Woosh Big Bear crossbar bike for riders of 5' 8" or over or the Big Bear LS step-through for riders of 5' 4" or over fit what you need. They have the very powerful BPM motor which climbs much better than the average power hub motor.

Both at £849 are nicely in your price bracket.

If you fancy a crank drive motor e-bike the Woosh Krieger will climb anything, though at times a bit slower, and is suited to very hilly areas with steep climbs. That's at £889.

At these prices the components will be basic level but sound makes and will do the job ok.

An alternative supplier is Kudos who have posted above, and they have slightly dearer e-bikes with the powerful BPM motor, for example the Tornado at £1095 or £1130 with lights, mudguards and stand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perseus and Geebee

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
The only reason (almost) that I don't buy a Kreiger right now is that I would want to try it out and there is a long way to the nearest stockist. http://www.wooshbikes.co.uk/?krieger

(I personally prefer no quick release back wheel so I can fix and trailer hook, but I think there is a way around this.) Also I prefer hub gears, but that increases the price too much. It looks like a well thought out value for money machine, down to the road tyres which are thicker than normal.

Jefner

Nov 15, 2015
Jefner,actually the jump between £700 and £1000 is probably the biggest leap in type of component rather than quality,for example...
The motor may change from SWX to BPM,stronger hill climbing
The display may change from 790 to King,more features
The gears may go from Tourney to Deore,still Shimano
The brakes,may go from mechanical to hydraulic,less strain.
The frame,rims and tyres will often be the same
The battery is likely to be the same.
The higher value may have led lights,rack and mudguards.
But the simpler may suit you and maybe all the accessories may not be required.
Hope that helps.
KudosDave
That's very useful info. Thanks :)

Jefner

Nov 15, 2015
Sometimes little or no difference,. the pricing can be more a matter of supplier policy then a precise measure of value.

Given your power needs the Woosh Big Bear crossbar bike for riders of 5' 8" or over or the Big Bear LS step-through for riders of 5' 4" or over fit what you need. They have the very powerful BPM motor which climbs much better than the average power hub motor.

Both at £849 are nicely in your price bracket.

If you fancy a crank drive motor e-bike the Woosh Krieger will climb anything, though at times a bit slower, and is suited to very hilly areas with steep climbs. That's at £889.

At these prices the components will be basic level but sound makes and will do the job ok.

An alternative supplier is Kudos who have posted above, and they have slightly dearer e-bikes with the powerful BPM motor, for example the Tornado at £1095 or £1130 with lights, mudguards and stand.
I have been looking at Woosh bikes, and wondered if they were a reasonable buy, so that's useful info. Been looking at Juicy bikes as well.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
@Jefner

As ball park figures, assume that the electrics add £500 to a push bike.
You've got £500 left for your push bike.
For under £500, which push bike do you like most at present?
Then compare the specs of that push bike against ready made e-bikes up to £1500. You get the idea.

Last edited:

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
I have just been through your dilemma and I feel for you!

I am not in a position to honestly recommend a particular bike at the moment because I have only been up and down our lane on the bikes me and hubby have just bought.

I have test ridden a Juicy Classic however, and I did end up buying one! I am 5ft 3" and 10st and the Juicy Classic fits me well, but the seat is near the bottom of it's post so it has a few inches to go higher to take account of your height and should fit you OK.

I was personally blown away by the test ride and I can really recommend that if you are near a Juicy bike dealer, you should get along and try one. I saw Bob Whales in Disley, near Stockport and he gave us a great deal of his time and advice. He owns Juicy and I can't recommend him highly enough.

Saying that there are many more experienced members on here to whom you should listen, and who will give you lots of help and I am but a 'baby' e-rider.:)

Jefner

Nov 15, 2015
I have just been through your dilemma and I feel for you!

I am not in a position to honestly recommend a particular bike at the moment because I have only been up and down our lane on the bikes me and hubby have just bought.

I have test ridden a Juicy Classic however, and I did end up buying one! I am 5ft 3" and 10st and the Juicy Classic fits me well, but the seat is near the bottom of it's post so it has a few inches to go higher to take account of your height and should fit you OK.

I was personally blown away by the test ride and I can really recommend that if you are near a Juicy bike dealer, you should get along and try one. I saw Bob Whales in Disley, near Stockport and he gave us a great deal of his time and advice. He owns Juicy and I can't recommend him highly enough.

Saying that there are many more experienced members on here to whom you should listen, and who will give you lots of help and I am but a 'baby' e-rider.:)
Thanks for the reassurance on Juicy bikes. I really like their ethos. I have to buy blind as I don't live anywhere near a dealer for any of the bikes I like. Not quite ready to decide yet, but Juicy classic lite is now at the top of the list :)

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Thanks for the reassurance on Juicy bikes. I really like their ethos. I have to buy blind as I don't live anywhere near a dealer for any of the bikes I like. Not quite ready to decide yet, but Juicy classic lite is now at the top of the list :)
Again, I can only advise as I see, but the Lite only has the choice of one colour - Olive. The Classic gives you more choice. It may be different with the 2016 range of colours and if you like olive, it's not a problem! It doesn't have the front suspension but that has come off the 2016 Classics anyway, to save weight. Juicy will still fit the front suspension on the Classic if you want it but I didn't bother.

My Classic ('Juicy Lucy') is a lovely metallic teal colour, which is not yet on the website but I can always put a picture on this forum if you want to see it. It seems well built to my untrained eye, very solid with nice weld joints. I personally fell for the swan neck style. 6 gears is plenty for me. It climbs hills very well and at the moment has the full throttle feature legally available (it's changing on 1st January 2016). Everything appears very solid and I know Juicy have a good reputation on here.
Bob of Juicy comes on the forum and he may be along to advise when he notices your interest.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi JN
Where in the country are you? We have some new stockists that aren't yet on our website and others thinking about joining.
Perhaps we might get lucky and can send a bike somewhere near you...

Reactions: newboater

Jefner

Nov 15, 2015
Again, I can only advise as I see, but the Lite only has the choice of one colour - Olive. The Classic gives you more choice. It may be different with the 2016 range of colours and if you like olive, it's not a problem! It doesn't have the front suspension but that has come off the 2016 Classics anyway, to save weight. Juicy will still fit the front suspension on the Classic if you want it but I didn't bother.

My Classic ('Juicy Lucy') is a lovely metallic teal colour, which is not yet on the website but I can always put a picture on this forum if you want to see it. It seems well built to my untrained eye, very solid with nice weld joints. I personally fell for the swan neck style. 6 gears is plenty for me. It climbs hills very well and at the moment has the full throttle feature legally available (it's changing on 1st January 2016). Everything appears very solid and I know Juicy have a good reputation on here.
Bob of Juicy comes on the forum and he may be along to advise when he notices your interest.
I'm not too keen on the olive colour and would love to be tempted by a piccy of your teal coloured Classic, but that's a pricier bike (not by much but I started off looking at the £700 mark so I'm already over budget with the Lite at £900). The only differences I can see between the 2 models is front suspension and different brakes (and colour choice!). What sort of hills have you tried with your bike, and how much effort do you need to put in? I will regularly be cycling uphill and need a bike which will do most of that work for me.

Jefner

Nov 15, 2015
Hi JN
Where in the country are you? We have some new stockists that aren't yet on our website and others thinking about joining.
Perhaps we might get lucky and can send a bike somewhere near you...
Hi. I live in Kirkcaldy (Fife, Scotland). I travel regularly to Edinburgh as well and would be happy to try a bike there.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi. I live in Kirkcaldy (Fife, Scotland). I travel regularly to Edinburgh as well and would be happy to try a bike there.
Okay got it.
I will need to make a call on Monday but hopefully will be able to get a bike near you next week.
We wern't planning to introduce the new colours until the London Bike Show in February but somehow the cat's out the bag now...

Reactions: Jefner

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Okay got it.
I will need to make a call on Monday but hopefully will be able to get a bike near you next week.
We wern't planning to introduce the new colours until the London Bike Show in February but somehow the cat's out the bag now...
:oops:.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
I'm not too keen on the olive colour and would love to be tempted by a piccy of your teal coloured Classic, but that's a pricier bike (not by much but I started off looking at the £700 mark so I'm already over budget with the Lite at £900). The only differences I can see between the 2 models is front suspension and different brakes (and colour choice!). What sort of hills have you tried with your bike, and how much effort do you need to put in? I will regularly be cycling uphill and need a bike which will do most of that work for me.
I wouldn't worry about the hills. I was worried sick about it because I live on a steep hill and our lane exits onto a 3 mile hill. When I test rode the Juicy it was on a really steep hill and I rode up it in 3rd gear with what seemed to me to be very little effort on my part. I am older than you, and smaller so I'd be surprised if you would have any problems. The bike goes up our lane easily, no problems at all.
If you can have a ride on one, all the better so I'd wait for Bob to get back to you.
Meanwhile I'll try and upload a piccy if I can manage it!!

Reactions: Jefner

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Okay got it.
:oops::oops: Sorry!

Reactions: JuicyBike

Jefner

Nov 15, 2015
  1. View attachment 12850 Here is a piccy of Juicy Lucy, in our garage so not such a good photo I'm afraid.
Ooh, thank you. What a gorgeous colour. I want one!! But I will be sensible and wait til I test ride one first especially since I have never ridden an electric bike before. BTW, you were right, Bob has been in touch and he is trying to organise a test ride up here :)

Reactions: Lancslass

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Ooh, thank you. What a gorgeous colour. I want one!! But I will be sensible and wait til I test ride one first especially since I have never ridden an electric bike before. BTW, you were right, Bob has been in touch and he is trying to organise a test ride up here :)
Pleased you like the colour.:)
Do let us know how you get on.