Dogs!

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Hi I'm not riled

Just stating FACT

15 MPH In a park with kids and dogs DONT mix

Frank
It's all a matter of respect, isn't it Frank? I wouldn't go belting through a park at that sort of speed - more like 8 or 9, and then with one hand always on the brake lever, as I don't want to run over any fellow being, hairy or not.

But I expect parents and dog-walkers to be as aware of my presence as I am of THEIRS, and a lot of the time that doesn't seem to be the case.

A.

nbmk

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2010
milton keynes
It's all a matter of respect, isn't it Frank? I wouldn't go belting through a park at that sort of speed - more like 8 or 9, and then with one hand always on the brake lever, as I don't want to run over any fellow being, hairy or not.

But I expect parents and dog-walkers to be as aware of my presence as I am of THEIRS, and a lot of the time that doesn't seem to be the case.

A.
This is what i feel aswell, in milton keynes most dog walkers and pedestrians seem to take no notice of other redway users and just take up the whole redway or allow their dog which is on the lead to straddle the WHOLE redway.:mad: I love dogs to death and have two of them, but when im out and about walking them i am very aware of whats around me.:D REDWAYS= Milton Keynes redway system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

This is what i feel aswell, in milton keynes most dog walkers and pedestrians seem to take no notice of other redway users and just take up the whole redway or allow their dog which is on the lead to straddle the WHOLE redway.:mad: I love dogs to death and have two of them, but when im out and about walking them i am very aware of whats around me.:D REDWAYS= Milton Keynes redway system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hi Nick,

Know exactly what you mean about dogs on the redways. I have one of these AirZound - Bike Horn, but not used it for a while. I'm not sure if it is a good idea to use it when dogs are around, it could either petrify or turn one into a raging monster.

My particular fear is what I term the status symbol Chav terrier dog, they fill me with dread.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Know what you mean. I have this notion that if ever attacked by such a hound, I'd profer my left leg, made as it is of titanium and plastics, to let the little git break its teeth.

Knowing my luck, said hound would probably ignore the outstretched phoney limb and go for my goolies instead.

A

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
We always take Tiny on the paths and cyclist just dont see him!:D

"I've really had it with my dog," said the first guy to his neighbor. "He'll chase anyone on a bicycle"

"Hmmm, that is a problem," said the neighbor. "What are you thinking of doing about it?"

"Guess the only answer is to confiscate his bike!"

Last edited:

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
When i had a 'mad farm dog' come flying out of the farm after me, i just dismounted on the opposite side and kept the bike between me and the dog, the dog then calmed down and trotted off back.

C

Cyclezee

We always take Tiny on the paths and cyclist just dont see him!:D
I love dogs like Tiny and I don't see them as huge problem, it is the yappy, disobedient and aggressive little things that I find annoying.

Does the young lady take the dog for walks or vice versa:D

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
This has come up before. My suggested solution was to mount a golf club in a holster on the front forks then use it in the manner of a polo player when the need arose. Oddly this wasn't taken all that seriously:confused:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

I spent Yesterday on a rescue run from Banbury to Hilton park J 11 M6 To meet a volunteer who had traveled from way up north To Bring 3 Dogs From 7 day Put to sleep notice we met 2 other volunteer and loaded up dogs and went to our versos destinations I was off to Swindon To Rescue Kennels then back to Banbury

I took A beautiful Brindle Lurcher Girl Jade Now up for Adoption

The Rescue run a NO destruction policy

Anybody interested in Greyhounds or saluki are lurchers

Lurcher Link :: Index

If you are looking for a dog this is a good link All breeds

Dogs for Adoption & Rescue - DogsBlog.com

If you are looking at taking you dogs on holiday with you

Follow the link that says pets stay free

http://www.welcomecottages.com/sites/welcomecottages/pages/home.aspx?clickcd=29200&gclid=CIa3xrS33acCFUFC4Qod8HnQ8g

Frank

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi Frank
Thanks for the lurcher link but FYI the 2nd one dogsblog has a bad threat which luckily my security managed to avoid.
Maybe a good idea to try it yourself and see what happens.
Right, off to try your 3rd link....wish me luck :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When i had a 'mad farm dog' come flying out of the farm after me, i just dismounted on the opposite side and kept the bike between me and the dog, the dog then calmed down and trotted off back.
That does invariably work and has done for me, but when remounting and cycling off the attack has resumed. I suppose the "running" action of a cyclist's legs and the speed of travel both suggest fleeing prey to a dog's mind, an instinct that needs to be trained out by a responsible owner.

In the case of the greyhound that was so troublesome to me, it was probably an ex-race dog trained to chase, so probably a lost cause for retraining after seven years of encouragement to do so.

Unlike the racecourse hare, I didn't have a tunnel to disappear into at the end of the chase. :(

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

I also think it might be the smell off sweat that the dog pick up on

NO reference to you sweating just general runners

May bey your next project to build a light weight tunnel the slides from the trailer over the bike Could use old aircraft canopy would cut down on wind resistance as well

Frank

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
woof

Hi woof woof wofedy woof de woof wofffffff woff

Just a small message for my four legged friends out there

Frank

woof

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
May bey your next project to build a light weight tunnel the slides from the trailer over the bike Could use old aircraft canopy would cut down on wind resistance as well

Frank
Nice idea, a stealth bike that vanishes from view! :D

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
This has come up before. My suggested solution was to mount a golf club in a holster on the front forks then use it in the manner of a polo player when the need arose. Oddly this wasn't taken all that seriously
I dont find cruel dog jokes funny.. and Im sure I am speaking for all the Pedelec dog owners.

Last edited: