Don`t leave home without one of these .

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Out of interest, are you getting punctures with those Gatorskins?
Rarely enough for me, maybe a once a year if that (approx 1000- 1500 miles/yr).
Prior to the ebike I've used them for about 5 years on a standard touring bike with few problems.
The punctures I've had are nearly all down to hedging detritus sprayed across the roads - hawthorn is the killer. Second only in hardness to diamond, I reckon. Ask any cow or sheep!

I rarely ride in town, so I can't say how they work on glass/metal crud, but the country roads round here have some pretty rough patching and potholes which you can't always dodge, and they seem to work OK there.

On the ebike (bought Apr/May) I've had one puncture - a 'snakebite' first time out, and that was all my own work for not pumping them up hard enough (keeping on-topic!), and then heading off down an offroad section near us. Since then and going up to 100psi (from 80psi) I've had no problems.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If we're talking just weight, a pair of Marathon Plus tyres weighs 1320g more than my tyres - that's 2 Xiaomi pumps-worth (Contental Gatorskins, with better puncture resistance than Marathon Plus). However, in the real world of pounds rather than grams, the true weight saving is to be found in the porky body astride my bike. :eek:

Back on pumps, my point on the Xiaomi is that it seems to offer no advantages (hand/wrist problems excepted), and several disadvantages - more space, more weight, no mounting kit, more dollar, useless if not charged up. Fun to use though, I'm sure!
You're misunderstanding me. I wouldn't have MPs on a road bike because they're too heavy. That's why I carry a pump.