Drivers could face minimum distance for overtaking cyclists

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Having read various articles saying that the law was going to be changed, I contacted the Government to find out how it would be enforced, after a van brushed my shoulder as it overtook me.

Here is the reply I received today.

"Thank you for your email of 7 January to the Department for Transport about passing distances between vehicles and cyclists. I have been asked to reply.

The Government has no plans to introduce a mandatory passing distance for motorists. On 29 March, the Department announced that we would be working with West Midlands Police to produce educational materials and support for police forces so that more drivers are made aware of the need to leave safe distances when overtaking cyclists. This builds on the success of the West Midlands Police “Operation Close Pass” initiative, and is in response to a strong message emerging from responses to the Cycling and Walking Investment Strategy Safety Review Call for Evidence, which closed on 1 June. This was a wide ranging consultation, looking at how to improve road safety for cyclists and pedestrians. Over 13,000 responses were received and these are currently being considered.

The Highway Code provides current guidance for motorists when overtaking cyclists. It is available online at: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code

On a narrow road, a cyclist may position themselves in the middle of the road to ensure they are not put at risk from overtaking cars, particularly if cycling in numbers. Although this may not be ideal for drivers being caught behind cyclists, they are doing this for their safety."

So no change & according to me local Police authority unless I am knocked off the bike AND this is observed by the Police there is no action they would be prepared to take.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I would expect. Unfortunately cyclists themselves are a part of the problem, particularly in cities. Often at speed they squeeze between kerb and vehicles on the nearside of moving traffic or between vehicles in lanes, even knocking mirrors etc.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Are 20 mph plus cyclists going to leave one and a half metres space and overtake on the correct side?

Reactions: therealvicz

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
There is already legislation which covers this and it's been around for decades.

Section 3 Road Traffic Act 1991 ( Previously RTA 1988, before that RTA 1968 )

Careless, and inconsiderate, driving.
If a person drives a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place, he is guilty of an offence.

In practice, you really need an independent witness , or video coverage, to bring a successful prosecution and of course the index number of the offender. Keep your original recording or notes of the offence and the offender, it may be used as an exhibit .

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Artstu

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
The "cycle lanes" painted on the roads round here actually encourage drivers to pass much too close : the marked lanes are a maximum of 1 metre wide and often considerably less (down to 0.6m in places).
For car drivers, so long as they are on the outside of the painted lines they think that they are OK and not causing any danger.

• Agree
Reactions: Tarka and flecc

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Get yourself one of those Aldi rear light camera combos, I've got one, luckily not had reason to provide the rozzers with close shave footage, but nice to know I can if needed. Dorset police have been running under cover ops on this recently and advising offenders who get too close to these undercover cop cyclists, so I think there is mounting awareness and potential action if footage is provided. At least a visit from the cops with a word should change white van man's attitude to cyclists and how much space they should give

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The "cycle lanes" painted on the roads round here actually encourage drivers to pass much too close : the marked lanes are a maximum of 1 metre wide and often considerably less (down to 0.6m in places).
For car drivers, so long as they are on the outside of the painted lines they think that they are OK and not causing any danger.
Absolutely. And just to make sure, they paint pictures of squashed bicycles on the road; and then claim lots of help to cyclists for giving them a cycle lane.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Some say take prime position when navigating narrow lanes but some drivers just don't get it . On a recent ride into skipton I had 2 in 100 yards, one nearly got me from behind and one from the front.
Having cameras is all very well but unless you have a big sign saying so they don't actually change anything.

Reactions: Daniel Chapman

therealvicz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 26, 2019
Telford
Yes but those pointless islands in the middle of the road are deadly - they should at least have a separate passing point for bikes.

Gadfly

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2018
Lincolnshire
Let's face it, the majority of these morons have little fear of harming a cyclist and even less fear of getting caught. When was the last time you saw a jam sandwich patrolling? When did you last hear of a cyclist killer receiving a worthwhile sentence?

Reactions: therealvicz

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Let's face it, the majority of these morons have little fear of harming a cyclist and even less fear of getting caught. When was the last time you saw a jam sandwich patrolling? When did you last hear of a cyclist killer receiving a worthwhile sentence?
It depends on how old the car is.. a new car owner will not want blood or scratches on their paintwork.