Dropbar Road Bike Conversions

Aushiker

Pedelecer
Hi

I am thinking of converting a road bike (currently riding a recumbent with e-assist) and I note that most conversions that are of road bikes are of flat bar bikes and conversions of drop-bar bikes seem few and far between.

I am curious as to why flat-bar bikes seem to be more popular. I am guessing mounting a throttle comes in to play here. Other reasons?

Thanks
Andrew

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Yes, throttle position, if you have one mounted. Probably the big one is speed limit - most drop bar bikes cruise faster than the 15mph UK pedelec limit anyway, so the electric assist would only be of use on the hills.

Michael

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Flat bar is comfortable and used by the less dedicated cyclists.
Hard core lycra cyclists are faster than a legal e-bike over any real distance.
There was the BH race but that didn't sell particularly well against cheaper ebikes.
( I had two and loved them)
Note I can average 15 mph on my bent without assist so unless hills are an issue why go electric? Answer if my asthma is playing up.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
The main answer would be speed as D8ve said, you are carrying extra weight for little benefit, if legal.
The straight bar is more suited to the average commuter, recreational cyclist plus the ubiquitous MTB has helped make that the standard
There are numerous work arounds for the throttle.
Now if you were to fit a BBS01 and forget to limit the speed a drop bar bike might be worth conversion, I could see a cruise speed of 50 kph being viable, if some what naughty :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Speed has been mentioned however I would say drop bars are less favourable because of posture, esp as pedelecs tend to be used by the middle aged or elder rider. Like D8ve I have mild asthma and the pedelec is a boon also am able to get up to 45 kph with a tail wind and slight decline. I must be a little bit naughty then Geebee;)

Aushiker

Pedelecer
Interesting. My upright bikes are all drop-bar bikes and whilst my first bike was a flat-bar road bike I do prefer drop-bars. I might re-think my approach then as I can live without the throttle or possibly mount a thumb it for use when I am on the tops.

Thanks
Andrew

Aushiker

Pedelecer
Well I made my decision and a purchase today ... picked up a 2009 Giant Defy 1 for AU$475 which is about £250. My commute is 42 km each way and the return (and often the morning leg) is into serious headwinds so I feel that the dropbar will be the better option. I guess I will find out :)

All this leads to my second question ... mounting the battery, which in my case is a Samsung 36V 10S 6P 29E cells 16.5Ah frame pack battery from Paul at EM3EV.

I need access to water on my rides and my preferred option is to access the water bottle on the downtube which would mean mounting the above battery on the seat tube using the water bottle cage braze-ons (I assuming sufficient space at this point in time).

Would this be a good idea or a bad idea, e.g., to much weigh on the braze-ons and hence mounting at less of an angle on the downtube or staying with a rack mount. Thoughts?

Andrew

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Yes it is a frame mounted battery hence my question about the options. As to the bottle mounting, thanks for the suggestion but I am sorry but that is just not for me :)

Andrew
Years ago almost all water bottles were mounted like that. They even had plastic straws so you could drink without taking your hands off the bars.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Mmm - I share your concern about weight on the braze-ons, especially having seen the recent thread here by KirstenS where the lugs were torn out of the frame because of a small crash. Mounting the battery on the seat tube might be a bit risky, especially as you are using a 60 cell pack. It would be better on the down tube, but even there is a bit risky as KirstenS found out. That would mean you'd need to mount your water bottle on the seat tube, or other options (handlebars as already said, or behind the saddle).

A slightly off-the-wall option but how about mounting it below the downtube, leaving the downtube braze-ons free for your water bottle? Not sure how well that would work from the aesthetic perspective though.

Michael

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Speed has been mentioned however I would say drop bars are less favourable because of posture, esp as pedelecs tend to be used by the middle aged or elder rider. Like D8ve I have mild asthma and the pedelec is a boon also am able to get up to 45 kph with a tail wind and slight decline. I must be a little bit naughty then Geebee;)

I've always preferred the riding position of drop bars. But I did the vast majority of my riding with my hands on the top of the brake/gear levers. You have so many grip options with them and can change hand positions far more easily on a long ride or hills. It always seemed easier on the wrists because they are facing foward too.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
By the way, that's a heck of a commute! Well done! I'd be tempted (in fact I am tempted) to follow Geebee and D8ve into the recumbent arena for that sort of distance. My commute is only 35km each way.

Michael

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I tried to mount mine on the seat post of my hybrid but space was limited for the 09 type battery, ended up on the down tube and added two extra riv nut fixings for rigidity. How about water bottle in a back pack with a feed/drink tube over the shoulder.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
I tried to mount mine on the seat post of my hybrid but space was limited for the 09 type battery, ended up on the down tube and added two extra riv nut fixings for rigidity. How about water bottle in a back pack with a feed/drink tube over the shoulder.
How did you find drilling for the riv nut fittings? Are they located in reasonable thickness material, or is it coke-can type stuff?

Michael

Aushiker

Pedelecer
Years ago almost all water bottles were mounted like that. They even had plastic straws so you could drink without taking your hands off the bars.
Yep and it looks great on the bike in the photo, but that is not my bike and my bike is not a triathlon bike where it also done. I am not saying it is a bad idea, it is just not something I want to do in my situation.

Andrew

Aushiker

Pedelecer
Andrew, I dislike the idea of suspending that much weight off braze ons designed for 750g (bottle of water), if you go this route please fit at least a couple of hose clamps or similar.
One of the members dropped his bike in the wet recently and the braze ons holding his battery pulled out of the tube!
Found the thread http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bottle-battery-fall-and-frame-damage-repair.19493/#post-242774
This is what worries me. I might stick to a rack. That said I saw this review and photo of the battery mounted "upside down". I wonder but if it is bolted right through the frame.

The idea of hose clamps I hadn't considered but could be an option worth considering for sure.

Andrew

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How did you find drilling for the riv nut fittings? Are they located in reasonable thickness material, or is it coke-can type stuff?

Michael
My Norco frame is solid no thin ali.
For any one needing to tighten or fit new ones you will need a M5 bolt, a M6 nut or bigger and a washer.
Place the washer against the riv nut then the M6 nut then pass the M5 bolt through them and thread in to the riv nut, hold the M6 nut with a spanner and use an allen key to tighten the bolt which will compress the riv nut you will feel it tightening as you wind the allen key around.

Last edited:
Reactions: mfj197