Dual hub e-bikes

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Can't find any information here on having two hub motors?
I read they are popular but not much information online.
250w both front and back. Maybe even two 350w. Did find a guy on YouTube with dual 350w over volted and looked brilliant running off one battery.

Anyone built one? Guess you could say there is no advantage and not legal, but two wheel drive. Hum?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think saneagle owned one.
Personally, I wouldn't trust such an arrangement.
If the front motor pulls more than the rear motor, you can create an unexpected rotation and you don't want your handlebars to do that.

edit:
even if the front wheel pulls less than the rear wheel, if the front wheel plane and the rear wheel plane don't coincide, they create a force causing the bike to steer in a way you may not expect. So the bike is OK until you make a slight movement with the handlebars.

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
It's been done. Trouble is the legal motor limit is 250W. So unless you can find two 125W motors you are all too obviously breaking the law.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I don't see a point of doing it really.
I suggest you finish installing kit you have, buy a good helmet and enjoy what you have for some time. No need to overcomplicate things.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I don't see a point of doing it really.
I suggest you finish installing kit you have, buy a good helmet and enjoy what you have for some time. No need to overcomplicate things.
Yes. That's the plan.
Just asking questions and doing lot's off reading online.
Finding it all very interesting.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
The dual hub setup works great on hills. I have used an additional front xf07 front as a sort of booster motor with a yose 350 rear for steep hills. No steering problems. The xf07 when idle has practically no friction.
Its technically a very good and robust solution for steep hills. (imo) Its a pity its not legal.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Given the losses using 2 motors wouldn't you just be better off with a more powerful rear hub to get up these hills given 2 motors wattage exceeds legal limit anyway?

• Agree
Reactions: snafu

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Given the losses using 2 motors wouldn't you just be better off with a more powerful rear hub to get up these hills given 2 motors wattage exceeds legal limit anyway?
The losses with two smaller motors are not necessarily greater. But you are probably right in that if a single suitable hub motor that could supply the same torque as the two smaller motors was readily/easily available, then this would be a better option and would be less conspicuous. Can you recommend me a reliable 80nm rear hub for 135mm dropouts?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The dual hub setup works great on hills. I have used an additional front xf07 front as a sort of booster motor with a yose 350 rear for steep hills. No steering problems. The xf07 when idle has practically no friction.
Its technically a very good and robust solution for steep hills. (imo) Its a pity its not legal.
Did you use one or two batteries? While the second motor system isn't powered, the bike is simply carrying luggage, and therefore legal until you power the second 250w hub?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: PC2017

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: guerney

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think saneagle owned one.
Personally, I wouldn't trust such an arrangement.
If the front motor pulls more than the rear motor, you can create an unexpected rotation and you don't want your handlebars to do that.

edit:
even if the front wheel pulls less than the rear wheel, if the front wheel plane and the rear wheel plane don't coincide, they create a force causing the bike to steer in a way you may not expect. So the bike is OK until you make a slight movement with the handlebars.
Does all of that apply to front hub ebikes? The front motor is likely to pull more than the rear motor (rider).

Despite the disadvantages of front hub I've found it very effective on our tandem, and the two wheel drive aspect has often saved us from slipping on wet grass slight uphills. Of course, the tandem has better weight distribution between the wheels than a solo.

It's been done. Trouble is the legal motor limit is 250W. So unless you can find two 125W motors you are all too obviously breaking the law.
I think that two motors breaks the law even if they add up t0 250w or less.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
What kind of steep hills? Off road?
On road. The local cycling club put up a sign which claims its 15.7% max climb using 'strava' as shown on my avatar. Cyclotravel's (which I think uses the ordnance surveys 10 meter contour lines and may not be as accurate on short stretches) is as shown in photo below which roughly tallies with strava.
This hill is between where I live and an local adjacent village.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
They only pick Guy Martin to present these things because they know he's got a lot of form for falling off. A good crash = good viewing.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
So far my 250W front hub managed to climb all hills (off road is a complete different story).

In case of any problems I guess I would rather choose single more powerful motor rather than dual hub solution.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The losses with two smaller motors are not necessarily greater. But you are probably right in that if a single suitable hub motor that could supply the same torque as the two smaller motors was readily/easily available, then this would be a better option and would be less conspicuous. Can you recommend me a reliable 80nm rear hub for 135mm dropouts?
Two small motors are slightly more efficient than a single small one, and about the same as a single big one. Don't ask me why, but that's the result of the test I did over a couple of hilly rides, when I did lots of experimentation with two motors before deciding that one more powerful motor is better than two with less power because of other reasons, like expense and complicated installation. Basically, there are no tangible advantages to using two motors other than better grip on slippery surfaces.