Dumb Question - Abus Wheel Lock

levelgaze

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 10, 2008
I have just taken delivery of an Agattu. What a lovely thing - I found myself giggling with pleasure when riding it, which was probably disturbing for passers-by.

I am puzzled by the Abus lock on the rear wheel - how on earth does it work? I assume that the key (if that's what it is - the sticky-out bit) slides round the curve and then is removed? But it doesn't seem to move much, even when pushed in / pulled out / etc.

It must be something so obvious that no Manual/Google answer is required - because I am the first person ever to be find it difficult...

Jim

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
If it is the same as i had,turn key towards the floor a slight amount and engage the lever through the wheel, the key can only be removed when locked,when unlocking hold the lever to prevent the spring loaded mechanism crashing back into place.

levelgaze

Aug 10, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion, fishingpaul. There doesn't seem to be any space for the key to turn - assuming the black triangular thing is the grip of a key. A minimalist diagram on said grip seems to suggest that you push it in and slide it down, but it neither pushes in nor seems willing to slide.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The key is in the lock and it sticks out on the right hand side of the top.

To operate the lock, twist and hold the key against it's spring action with one hand, then use the other hand to press the rotating handle around the arc to insert the curved steel rod through the wheel, at the same time letting the right hand key spring back. You can then remove the key and take it with you.

In the photo below, the key with a chrome ring through it is sticking out to the right of the Abus name. If the key is missing it must have been snapped off since they cannot be removed when unlocked. In that case contact 50cycles:

Last edited:

levelgaze

Aug 10, 2008
Ah, there should be a key as well as the lever, should there? I can see where it should go. That's a pity - I'll get onto the supplier.

On the plus side, at least it wasn't me being dumb...

Thanks for the help.

Jim

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Has anyone fitted one to a wisper, there doesn't look to be much room because of the carrier supports ?

Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unfortunately I have the front disk so no mounting points.
These wheel locks are normally put on the rear wheel, as on the Agattu photo above. They are rather heavy usually so adding to the front does markedly increase the front weight. Some have frame fitting kits, rather like two hardened "cuphooks" that go round the frame tubes, like this AXA lock fitting kit:

AXA kit at Fishers

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
Can it be done on a Mistral?

I am very keen to fit an Axa type wheel lock on my Synergie Mistral but at the moment I just cannot see how it can be done. There just doesn't seem to be the space.

Has anyone fitted anything like this and can anyone offer some advice please?

Thanks in advance

Rod

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It doesn't look like there is space on that bike Rod. It would normally be possible to fit it opposite the brake using the fitting kit I illustrated above, but it's likely the battery will not permit enough room for the head of the lock. It's a common problem with these locks on rear-of-seatpost battery bikes. Most eZee models suffer the same way, but in their case it's either the battery or the carrier that gets in the way.

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
Synergie lock problem

Thanks Flecc. I know you are right. I get really fed up with having to carry a ball and chain around with me and it would be great to be able to just turn a key and lock it.

Perhaps we ought to put more pressure on manufacurers to include some sort of anti theft system. Even if it were only a steering lock of some sort it would make if more difficult for someone to make off with the bike. I do think they have some responsibility towards providing a secure machine.

Best regards

Rod