DWG22 Motor noise

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
Hi
Recently insalled a DWG22 kit from Woosh. The motor was exceptionally noisy and harsh under load on any setting higher than level 1. Andy at woosh kindly sent out a replacement motor wheel after listening to recording of noise. Replacement motor was a little smoother and less noisy when initially installed but is now almost as noisy as the original after 100 miles. I would be very interested to hear any feedback from owners of this kit. I have only seen favorable comments on the forum and no mention of undue noise. Love the way it rides shame about the noise (Stuka/Qualcast),
I suppose it could be a faulty batch, I would be interested to hear if anyone has experienced the same problem.
Thanks
Steve

Attachments

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
Hi
Recently insalled a DWG22 kit from Woosh. The motor was exceptionally noisy and harsh under load on any setting higher than level 1. Andy at woosh kindly sent out a replacement motor wheel after listening to recording of noise. Replacement motor was a little smoother and less noisy when initially installed but is now almost as noisy as the original after 100 miles. I would be very interested to hear any feedback from owners of this kit. I have only seen favorable comments on the forum and no mention of undue noise. Love the way it rides shame about the noise (Stuka/Qualcast),
I suppose it could be a faulty batch, I would be interested to hear if anyone has experienced the same problem.
Thanks
Steve
I have a DWG22 kit fitted to a tandem and also to a solo machine. In both cases the motor is very quiet and smooth. As you would expect there is some motor noise, but it is of little consequence. You can hear when the motor is providing power, but it is quite a subtle whine and hardly noticeable when riding the bike.

BTW: Neat torque arm installation!

Reactions: Steve J H

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
I have a DWG22 kit fitted to a tandem and also to a solo machine. In both cases the motor is very quiet and smooth. As you would expect there is some motor noise, but it is of little consequence. You can hear when the motor is providing power, but it is quite a subtle whine and hardly noticeable when riding the bike.

BTW: Neat torque arm installation!
Hi Jodel
Thanks for the reply, I guess I have just been unlucky. I have other hub drive bikes and they sound as you describe, normal and acceptable. With this kit i have pedestrians looking to see where the milk float whine is coming from, makes for a tiring experience. Will probably end up changing the motor for something quieter.

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD

Hi Jodel
Thanks for the reply, I guess I have just been unlucky. I have other hub drive bikes and they sound as you describe, normal and acceptable. With this kit i have pedestrians looking to see where the milk float whine is coming from, makes for a tiring experience. Will probably end up changing the motor for something quieter.
Hi Jodel

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
Steve - try uploading your audio file to a site like 'Dropbox' and then posting a link here. I think I did something similar when trying to identify a clicking noise from my wheel (it was spoke noise).

Reactions: Steve J H

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
Steve - try uploading your audio file to a site like 'Dropbox' and then posting a link here. I think I did something similar when trying to identify a clicking noise from my wheel (it was spoke noise).
Thanks, will get on the case tomorrow. Would like to know what you think after listening and comparing with your own.

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
Steve - have a look at this thread. It has links to short recordings of my wheel.

If you ignore the wind noise, you can hear the motor running and it's pretty quiet.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Hmm, was going to buy this kit when the batteries are back in stock. Kind of worrying that 2 out of 2 may be duff...

Guessing you have not got to the bottom of this? If it is a bad batch, there may be a fair chance of me getting a dud as well. How long ago did you order the kit, I think the 48v batteries have been OOS for a while?

@Jodel, did you ever solve the ticking noise? I think my old motor had a tick, definitely sounded like something loose that moved position every rotation of the wheel. Worked fine though...just listened to your upload and that tick appears to be very loud - sounds like a spoke to me but I'm no expert and you checked the spokes, was it bearings, bent axle or something else?

As the 48v batteries are still not listed in stock then hopefully you will have an answer before I am able to order.

What is promising though is that Whoosh are responsive from a customer service perspective.

C

Last edited:

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
Bogmonster666 - the ticking noise turned out to be spoke noise. Surprising as all the spokes were tight and pretty uniform in tension - I checked them all with my tension meter. That said, that wheel was on the back of a tandem and subject to a lot more stress than a solo bike. Tandems are very hard on rear wheels. I broke two spokes at the J bend and decided to swap that wheel back to a solo bike. I have had no issues since. Plain gauge spokes are absolutely fine for solo bikes, but on a tandem I suspect the loading is too high given the state of our pock-marked road surfaces.

The original tandem DWG22C wheel I subsequently rebuilt with a heavy duty Ryde Sputnik rim, Sapim Strong spokes and laced it in a single cross pattern with all elbows out - it has been fine since. I used the 'Grin' bikes spoke length calculator and built the wheel as per their video guide using the single cross lacing / elbows out.

My first DWG22C wheel has now done 2.5 K miles on the tandem (around 160Kg all up weight) with no issues at all. I think Steve J H has been unfortunate as I've not heard of any other adverse feedback on this kit.

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
Hmm, was going to buy this kit when the batteries are back in stock. Kind of worrying that 2 out of 2 may be duff...

Guessing you have not got to the bottom of this? If it is a bad batch, there may be a fair chance of me getting a dud as well. How long ago did you order the kit, I think the 48v batteries have been OOS for a while?

@Jodel, did you ever solve the ticking noise? I think my old motor had a tick, definitely sounded like something loose that moved position every rotation of the wheel. Worked fine though...just listened to your upload and that tick appears to be very loud - sounds like a spoke to me but I'm no expert and you checked the spokes, was it bearings, bent axle or something else?

As the 48v batteries are still not listed in stock then hopefully you will have an answer before I am able to order.

What is promising though is that Whoosh are responsive from a customer service perspective.

Hi
I have inserted a drop box link below, please let me know if it works OK.
Kit was ordered in April after looking at all other options. Rides great apart from the unaceptable noise, massive torque for a hub motor. Nice people at Woosh, Andy sent out a replacement motor when I informed him of the problem, unforunatly it is now almost as noisy as the original. I think all kits are bench tested , but not under load. It was nice to have a comparison from Jodel. It may be a faulty batch or just the way they are. Just trying to get as much info as possible before going back to Woosh. If unable to resolve the issue I will change the motor for something quieter.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi
Thanks
Steve
andy is on holiday until the end of the month.
I'll ask him about this when he gets back.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there is usually an explanation. When Andy gets back, I'll ask him to open up and take a look at the motor that has been returned.
There is only one issue that I know of: you must never use the motor where there is salty sea spray. The salt in the water will corrode more or less instantly all the ball bearings and anything made with iron like the rotor. This is true for all hub motors, not just the DWG22C.
You must never, ever ride your bike on sandy beaches.

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
there is usually an explanation. When Andy gets back, I'll ask him to open up and take a look at the motor that has been returned.
There is only one issue that I know of: you must never use the motor where there is salty sea spray. The salt in the water will corrode more or less instantly all the ball bearings and anything made with iron like the rotor. This is true for all hub motors, not just the DWG22C.

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
Bogmonster666 - the ticking noise turned out to be spoke noise. Surprising as all the spokes were tight and pretty uniform in tension - I checked them all with my tension meter. That said, that wheel was on the back of a tandem and subject to a lot more stress than a solo bike. Tandems are very hard on rear wheels. I broke two spokes at the J bend and decided to swap that wheel back to a solo bike. I have had no issues since. Plain gauge spokes are absolutely fine for solo bikes, but on a tandem I suspect the loading is too high given the state of our pock-marked road surfaces.

The original tandem DWG22C wheel I subsequently rebuilt with a heavy duty Ryde Sputnik rim, Sapim Strong spokes and laced it in a single cross pattern with all elbows out - it has been fine since. I used the 'Grin' bikes spoke length calculator and built the wheel as per their video guide using the single cross lacing / elbows out.

My first DWG22C wheel has now done 2.5 K miles on the tandem (around 160Kg all up weight) with no issues at all. I think Steve J H has been unfortunate as I've not heard of any other adverse feedback on this kit.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022

That is certainly promising. I was also interested in people reporting bent axles but given your use on a tandem then I think I have little to fear. I won't be off roading and hopping kerbs at speed and that kind of abuse and I'm not tandem weight on my tod...but the holes in the road are a little harder to avoid around here...
I'm still going to buy this kit I am sure. I'm sure there is a good explanation and just as important, after sales service. I won't be riding on any beaches or through the sea :). If the sea rises to the 900' elevation where I live then a knackered motor will be the least of my issues. Salted roads in the winter and cold temps may be a bigger issue for me though. They don't salt the roads around here much for better of for worse...

Reactions: Woosh and Jodel

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
Hi
I have inserted a drop box link below, please let me know if it works OK.
Kit was ordered in April after looking at all other options. Rides great apart from the unaceptable noise, very responsive massive torque for a hub motor. Nice people at Woosh, Andy sent out a replacement motor when I informed him of the problem, unforunatly it is now almost as noisy as the original. I think all kits are bench tested , but not under load. It was nice to have a comparison from Jodel. It may be a faulty batch or just the way they are. Just trying to get as much info as possible before going back to Woosh. If unable to resolve the issue I will change the motor for something quieter.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the noise comes from the friction of the 4 ballbearings around the motor's axle.
As the load increases, the friction increases so does the noise.
Without a load reference, I could not make any deduction from the sound track, whether your ballbearings are shot or not. When Andy comes back from holiday, I will ask him to open up the motor you sent back and check the state of the ball bearings and let you know what we find, if any of the bearings needs replacing.
Motors like the DWG22C need a new set of bearings after about 3,000-4,000 miles, not 100 miles. You can open the motor to take a look if you so wish, that does not affect your warranty.

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I had a listen to your audio file and the characteristics of the noise are very similar to my own two motors. What is more difficult to judge remotely is the volume level. I find my motors to be very quiet - not silent, but perfectly acceptable. The problem is that my definition of 'quiet' might be your deafening roar!

By way of illustration, I'd say the noise of the motor is at a similar level (or slightly louder) than the 'thrum' of a smooth tread road tyre and certainly less than that of a knobby tread mountain bike tyre when used on tarmac. I have Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on my bikes and they roll fairly smoothly and quietly.

Woosh - interesting to know about potential bearing replacement. I've got 2.5k miles on the tandem wheel and it has no untoward noises or any sign of play in the bearings. The bearings themselves look a lot more substantial than ordinary freehub bearings too. I'm very much a fair weather cyclist these days though, so my bikes are not subject to all weather use.