DYI "Swytch" kit?

Chris Maluszynski

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
I'm thinking I should put some parts laying around together to make my own "Swytch kit".

I'm thinking to use a 700 front motor wheel, a small 36V 4ah battery meant for garden tools, and maybe a 14A controller.
It should all fit in a small bag that could be carried in a front basket.

A few questions :

- The bike I'm initially thinking to make it for has a rear hub brake. I guess there aren't any sensors for this kind of brake?
-Should I then just put a brake sensor on the front rim brake?
-Is a pedal magnet the only way to go for pedal assist?
-what's the simplest kind of display to use? (I'm thinking my mom should be able to handle it. Or can it be done with just an on/off switch?

Any thoughts/ideas? Has anyone done somthing like this before? I would like it to be super simple to install, and possibly on different bikes as well.

Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You only need one brake sensor. you can get ones that go in the cable, so they would work with a hub or roller brake.

If you have or get a KT controller, you don't really need brake sensors because it's response is very quick.

Chris Maluszynski

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Great, the less gear the better. I want this to be the simplest setup possible.
So bare minimums are KT controller and PAS magnet + on/off switch?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No throttle, no brake cut out required.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Great, the less gear the better. I want this to be the simplest setup possible.
So bare minimums are KT controller and PAS magnet + on/off switch?
You need an LCD with a KT controller. LCD4 is the smallest. The LCD is the on/off switch, but you need it to do the settings and select power levels.

Chris Maluszynski

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Just found this. I guess this isn’t a KT controller? (what is actually a KT controller?). It says it’s for wheel size 26 so I suppose this isn’t usable for a 700 wheel?EF87A74A-51B9-4482-9B83-E6E9FA8042A1.jpeg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looks like a genuine Bafang 15a max controller, which will need a compatible display.

A KT controller is made /produced and sold by China electronics company Kuenteng, they have practically cornered the kit bike market by making available there electric components to all 3rd party vendors to sell.
The line up of controllers is excellent from 24v to 72v with varying current ratings, along with no fewer then 10 differing LCD displays and all the peripheral parts required. They are tbh unequalled on the market for a relative budget price of say £60 - £150 depending on what you need.