E-bike builder/converter near Merseyside

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
Hi all

I was going to buy a new bike and e-bike kit and install it myself. However I am a bit uncertain whether I have the necessary skill despite having built my first push bike when I was 14 (some 40 years ago !).

So now I am looking for some help - does anyone know of any firms or individuals who are in this line of business near to Liverpool ?

Many thanks
Paul

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi Paul,
To be honest you might as well buy an OEM bike it will work out just as cheap. Plenty of good choices to go for.
Bosch drive from Halfords.
A few from Evans and some on offer.
Woosh for very good CS and good entry level bikes.
Wisper bikes, Juicy and the well regarded Oxygen hybrid.
Just a few to get started with.

Sutty86

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2017
Skipton
Paul if I can do it,you can too.

First you need to decide what you want the bike for , then which motor.

Some very knowledgeable guys on here....

I've just finished my bike and the satisfaction I got from building the bike and the battery had been immense.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Also what you learn along the way comes in handy should there be any problems later. If you've built bikes and/or you're handy with the spanners, you should have no problems. If you buy a complete kit it will be plug and play. If you buy components there can be connection issues but you'll get all the help you need here.
With a hub motor kit the biggest difficulty you're gonna face is dismantling the bottom bracket to fit the pas. How hard is that?

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
Thanks for all the encouraging replies - just what I needed. I've got the tools, am reasonably handy so I think it's time for some more reading and then give it a go. To be honest, building one for myself was an original attraction but I got a bit phased by all the technical stuff. I'm fairly confident it is not all beyond me so be prepared for a lot more questions !

D

Deleted member 4366

Everybody that ever fitted a kit had to do a first one. When I did mine, there wasn't really any help. It's not difficult. The hardest bit is choosing the kit.

Tony W

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 27, 2018
Derby
Thanks for all the encouraging replies - just what I needed. I've got the tools, am reasonably handy so I think it's time for some more reading and then give it a go. To be honest, building one for myself was an original attraction but I got a bit phased by all the technical stuff. I'm fairly confident it is not all beyond me so be prepared for a lot more questions !
I purchased a Bafang mid drive, it arrived mid afternoon and it was on the bike been ridden around the park by early evening. No real experience with bikes, first time removing bottom bracket and brake levers. Had to adjust the gears next day, gave it all a good tighten and tidied up the wires. That was 4 weeks ago and its now done 120 miles and I am planning to give it all a good check over but no signs of any problems. Watched a few you tube videos on installing whilst it was on route. It took me longer to get the mud guards and pannier on the bike than to install the motor.

Last edited: