E-Bike for Daily Commute

JTT74

Just Joined
May 3, 2020
Hi, I have a 9 mile daily commute with a couple of hills etc. Don’t want to turn up to work all sweaty, so will get an E-bike.

I’m after a low maintenance e-bike with a belt drive preferred + hub gears. (I have a normal Cube Travel SL with belt drive and shimano alfine hub gear and like the maintenance free quietness).

Needs usual stuff for commute, integrated lights, hub gears are fine, bag rack, decent disc brakes and well built/able to handle the daily commute without breaking.

I’ve looked at the Raleigh Centros Grand Tour Crossbar and also the Giant Dailytour E+ 1, both look decent to me and roughly in same price range.

Budget 2-3k

Any others that you would recommend?

Thanks!

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I have a Raleigh Motus - similar to the Centros but not as good
From my experience my Motus - with the smaller battery - would eat that commute - and would probably do 2 days before needing a recharge.
So the Centros would deal with it easily
However - that is in today's weather - when it was cold I would think it might need charging every day just to prevent range anxiety. -but then you might not use it to commute in winter and on potentially rainy days???

So I would say the Raleigh would be a great choice - can't comment on the Giant as I didn't find on to test ride at the time

Reactions: Crazyj

Crazyj

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2020
Following with interest. I’m looking for a similar bike, both of those that you mention are on my radar. The Giant uses a different battery and motor to the ubiquitous Bosch that most other manufacturers tend to use. I’ve also looked at the Gazelle Grenoble C8 and Riese and Muller Swing models (I’m after a step through model). I like the Raleigh Centros and there appear to be some deals out there at the moment. I’m interested to know how the quality is with Raleigh these days, though, in general.

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
I too have a Raleigh Motus Grand Tour. With a 400w battery I have never fallen below 40 miles range in Tour mode, whatever the season. I don't think I have ever dropped be low 50 miles in fairness. I love my Raleigh so have no hesitation in recommending the Centros.

I have no experience of the Gates belt so cannot comment on that, and being a luddite, I prefer derailleur to hub gears. Please forgive me!

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Not many ebikes with belt drive and hub gears, but there are a few. I think there was another thread on the topic.

Nosweat

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2019
This thing is simply gorgeous (though at £3.5k a bit above your upper limit)):

Gates drive paired with Enviolo (previously known as Nuvinci) continuously variable transmission.

For just over £3k you could have this:

Gates plus hub gears. I'm sure there are others too with that combination besides that and the Raleigh, maybe Cube? But heard good things of the Raleigh.

I'm a massive fan of hub gears and loved the Enviolo on a test ride but couldn't justify the cost for a commuter that would be left outdoors. You might just want to max up the battery size if you have the option to as either hub or CVT and belt both introduce small additional inefficiencies that eat into range a little bit.

JTT74

Just Joined
May 3, 2020
The only thing with the Riese and Muller was no disc brakes, and I did want one ideally I could do some light off roading at weekends etc.

Been looking at this one. Seems a great combination/spec

Are Kalkhoff decent?

Kalkhoff Image 5.S EXCITE

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
how far is your commute?
do you have secure bike parking facility at work?

Crazyj

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2020
The only thing with the Riese and Muller was no disc brakes, and I did want one ideally I could do some light off roading at weekends etc.

Been looking at this one. Seems a great combination/spec

Are Kalkhoff decent?

Kalkhoff Image 5.S EXCITE
That does look good. Quite pricey? I suppose that's because it's loaded. I tried this yesterday at my local Giant dealer, it was brilliant. They do a crossbar version too. Hub gears (although not CVT), but belt drive and disc brakes. Daytime running lamps too...

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Are Kalkhoff decent?
Caveat Emptor
Exercise caution with the models with the Impulse motor....no matter how tempting the price may be