E-bike Of The Year

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
flecc, TorAtle,

Allow me to jump in here please, before the discussion goes off the rails:) .

I don't know where this idea of low CoG being good comes from, but its wrong. A low CoG may be more convenient when you are standing next to the bike and manhandling it, or even when pushing it home after a hard days off road riding. But when riding a bike (or moped or motorcycle) a low CoG is the last thing you want - it actually makes the handling worse.

You might also like to discuss the choice of colours available.

Nick

:rolleyes: PS. I'm not voting for or against it, just trying to correct a technical point.
But my turn to correct a small point Nick, I didn't say a low CoG was good or bad, I just corrected the statement that the Optibike had the lowest CoG.

In fact there's no definitive absolute for CoG in bikes or motorcycles, the best point depending on a variety of geometrical relationships of the bike in question, plus it's intended purpose.

Colours don't come into it of course, I've just tried to make some serious points about the Optibike's deficiencies as a bicycle or as an e-bike. You'll notice I made no adverse comment about the Optibike choice other than remarking the illegality when TorAtle first posted, only questioning that bike when he subsequently started making adverse comments about other's choices of two of the best e-bikes on the market.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
But my turn to correct a small point Nick, I didn't say a low CoG was good or bad, I just corrected the statement that the Optibike had the lowest CoG.
Tony, you are correct. You only corrected the factual point about the Optibike's CoG.
I did think, though, that you could have gone further and pointed out that the implication loaded upon the false claim was also, in its own right, also false. Mind you, from Mussel's post, I see this is not universally accepted, so I'll let you off.

Can we agree on how difficult it is to be the voice of reason and factual correctness on the forum? (;) there doesn't seem to be a tongue in cheek smiley)

Nick

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
In fact there's no definitive absolute for CoG in bikes or motorcycles, the best point depending on a variety of geometrical relationships of the bike in question, plus it's intended purpose.
True. From my experience, the key factor on a road or race motorcycle is the amount of 'unsprung' weight (wheels, brakes, etc). Reduce that and you give yourself a good chance of improving handling. Given decent suspension, sprung weight seems less important. Probably irrelevant to e-bikes though.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
from Mussel's post, I see this is not universally accepted, so I'll let you off.
Ta! :D

Can we agree on how difficult it is to be the voice of reason and factual correctness on the forum? (;) there doesn't seem to be a tongue in cheek smiley)
Absolutely Nick, it's near to impossible. Slightly off that point, I know it would be much easier for me to pass on such comments as those on the Optibike's supposed superiority, but I'm always conscious of the many members and visitors who, when not knowing any better, might accept such statements as fact. Even though I might not convince the person I'm disagreeing with, at least I will have shown that the statements are questionable and shown why that is.

TorAtle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 19, 2008
I feel like we are debating if an M3 is better than a Golf. It's pretty pointless. The M3 will of course outperform the Golf, but the owner of the latter will argue that he doesn't need anything else since it's got 5 seats and does the job. Fine. You don't really need an M3 if all you do is commuting or running errands.

If there were alternatives to the Optibike I certainly would have considered them. I still think it's too expensive, but in a market that has not matured yet I'm glad there's at least one bike that fits me.

One more thing. If we want this ebike-thing to gain momentum with the younger crowd, we can't have the bikes looking like they do now. That's why I started out with a BionX kit - at least I could put it on a cool mountain bike!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I feel like we are debating if an M3 is better than a Golf. It's pretty pointless. The M3 will of course outperform the Golf, but the owner of the latter will argue that he doesn't need anything else since it's got 5 seats and does the job. Fine. You don't really need an M3 if all you do is commuting or running errands.
Quite true of course, though it doesn't fit the bicycle aspect of the electric assist bike situation which isn't a matter of fast motor performance, it's often a matter of preference for pure cycling which is physically quite different.

If there were alternatives to the Optibike I certainly would have considered them. I still think it's too expensive, but in a market that has not matured yet I'm glad there's at least one bike that fits me.
I agree there, it would be good to see it much more reasonably priced and since I think there should be choices for all tastes, I'd like to see it having more competition in its field.

One more thing. If we want this ebike-thing to gain momentum with the younger crowd, we can't have the bikes looking like they do now. That's why I started out with a BionX kit - at least I could put it on a cool mountain bike!
Agreed again. As sad as I think it is, youngsters in many countries choose bikes on the basis of fashion rather than what's best, in the USA it's often cruiser styled bikes but in the UK and parts of Europe the young go for mountain bike styling.

Why do i think that's sad? Well, in the UK 2 million bikes are sold every year but most are never seen on the road. The reason is that a high proportion are kids bikes that are cheap and very heavy full suspension mountain bikes. They take them out once to try them and perhaps once more to show their friends, but after finding just how difficult they are to pedal around, especially up hills, they get thrown in the back of the garage and are never ridden again. Eventually they rust and are thrown into a skip, then recycled back to China to make another batch of the same junk.

If only those kids had tried normal well designed bikes instead, they could still be riding them. This isn't guesswork by the way, I've lived in the middle of a large family estate in a hilly area for the whole of the period since before mountain bikes were invented and I regularly see what happens with neighbours kid's bikes.

The problem is that while cheap and nasty mountain bikes that look ok are available, there's little chance of kids trying a good light mountain bike, let alone a good conventional bike, so they are often put off cycling for life.

Last edited:

Burnsey

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2007
Hi Burnsey

1300 miles a great achievment I am approaching 1000 fast, I got some fat suspension so less bumpy on potholes.

thx

Bob
Hi Bob

How long have you owned the bike, your mileage sounds quite high. What kind of suspension have you got, my bones are nearly getting used to it now:)

Frank

C

Cyclezee

As I proposed earlier in this thread, voting will end tomorrow. I'm thinking 6 pm would be a reasonable hour, anyone like to second that proposal?

Following the close I shall tally up the votes and anounce the results tomorrow evening.

If you haven't already voted, don't delay, do it now;)

J:) hn

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I'd go for the Cytronex. The first successful application of the Tongxin motor to a mass-produced bike, with no reliability issues noted. Also the best-looking electric bike, and a bike which targets a new segment - fit cyclists who want a bit of help on hills.
Good plan - here's my vote!

PED-AL

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2008
Following the close I shall tally up the votes and anounce the results tomorrow evening.

J:) hn[/QUOTE

I was hoping to vote for the Agattu but after taking delivery of the one I bought for my wife for Christmas I will not be able to vote until I speak to 50 cycles when they re open in the new year.

The reason is based on the condition and quality of the bicycle we received.

Most of the problems are damage due to poor packing as there was absolutely no protection on the bicycle at all, it was simply in a large cardboard box with the handlebars turned through 90 degrees and the pedals taped to the carrier.

The result is that there are scratches and chafe marks at all the points that touch the inside of the box, i.e. the stem front has rubbed through the black paint, the stem top is scratched, the gear indicator lense is scratched, the handlebars are scratched, the carrier sides are scratched, the stand is scratched and the motor cover cracked.

There is also some poor paintwork on the frame.

A few pence worth of bubble wrap correctly positioned would have prevented most of this.

I am fairly sure that I have read a post from another Agattu buyer commenting on his surprise at the lack of protection when he received his bicycle.

I am fairly confident that there will not be a problem with 50 cycles resolving this for us but it really needs pointing out and backing up if other buyers have been disapionted by the same problems.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

I must say my Christmas presents were pretty damaged too, couriers are a nightmare this time of year from Amazon. I am sure 50cycles will sort it out for you.

If I can cast my vote of Kalkhoff Agattu XXL becuase it is life changing, I have done nealry six miles each day for 3 months now and if I carry on like this I will not need an xxl next time round. I have just spotted finance on the 50cycles blog and hopefullly i can fit a proconnect sport by August on 12 months 0% free.

This is the best night of my life I recommend anAgattu xxl bike after the pub its got me home safe.

thx

o and happy new year

Bob

C

Cyclezee

With less than eight hours until the polling closes it is time to get your votes in, so don't delay;)

From my reckoning, there have only been 22 individual votes so far from an electorate of 1,835:(

J:) hn

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
I am fairly confident that there will not be a problem with 50 cycles resolving this for us but it really needs pointing out and backing up if other buyers have been disapionted by the same problems.
Hi, oh heck, very sorry to hear that. Please get in touch and we'll do our best to sort it out for you.

Occasionally there is some rough handling in transit, but any damage is rare - as I'm sure many owners on here would attest - and we have sent bikes halfway around the world in those cartons with no problems. We like to keep packaging to a minimum and recycled/recycleable where possible.

Happy New Year all!

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
For me a toss up between the Agattu and the Cytronex as bike of the year...and I am going for the Cytronex. The Agattu was a bit of a disappointment in terms of reliability (new hub, new battery and having to tightening things up) and for me the way it rides. However the finish is superb and it feels solid and secure on the road and for those happy cruising to the shops it is great. I should add that the dealer back-up is first class.

The Cytronex fits the bill as a real bicycle but with assistance - incredibly light for an ebike so no need for suspension forks. Also the most reliable electric bike I have ever owned - important if you are relying on it to get you to work and back. Doesn't suit everyone but it gets my vote.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Cytronex fits the bill as a real bicycle but with assistance - incredibly light for an ebike so no need for suspension forks. Also the most reliable electric bike I have ever owned - important if you are relying on it to get you to work and back. Doesn't suit everyone but it gets my vote.
Despite it's narrow market, it's impressive that many who the Cytronex doesn't suit have nonetheless voted for it, recognising the quality of it's concept and design.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007

J:) hn[/QUOTE

I was hoping to vote for the Agattu but after taking delivery of the one I bought for my wife for Christmas I will not be able to vote until I speak to 50 cycles when they re open in the new year.

The reason is based on the condition and quality of the bicycle we received.

Most of the problems are damage due to poor packing as there was absolutely no protection on the bicycle at all, it was simply in a large cardboard box with the handlebars turned through 90 degrees and the pedals taped to the carrier.

The result is that there are scratches and chafe marks at all the points that touch the inside of the box, i.e. the stem front has rubbed through the black paint, the stem top is scratched, the gear indicator lense is scratched, the handlebars are scratched, the carrier sides are scratched, the stand is scratched and the motor cover cracked.

There is also some poor paintwork on the frame.

A few pence worth of bubble wrap correctly positioned would have prevented most of this.

I am fairly sure that I have read a post from another Agattu buyer commenting on his surprise at the lack of protection when he received his bicycle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

where abouts do i find the voteing page/link please ?