e-Bike Purchase

Andym

Just Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Hi,
Being new to this site and to the world of e-Bikes I thought I would ask for a consensus view on the best bike to purchase as I'm about to saddle up and join the e-biking revolution.
Main needs (from bike) are for commuting and personal trips where I don't want to arrive sweating like the proverbial porker and even though I consider myself to be pretty fit already (and weighing under 12 stone) it would be good to have a bike that (with motor off) gave you a pleasant ride ie again without having to fight against the extra weight of the bike + luggage that may be carried ?
Therefore range and battery capability are probably the most important factors for me.
I have been into Atmosphere Bikes in Bristol and test ridden the Wisper 905Se Sport and a Raleigh (crank driven motor). The guys there were very helpful and didn't "push" me into any specific model although I have a huge bias towards the 905City having read this forum and done some other research etc and this was certainly backed up by the test ride where the Wisper blew the Raleigh off the hill in terms of performance;ride/effort etc.
I noted the previous comments about the Wisper brakes and ease of removing battery but found the brakes excellent went hutling down Bristol steep hills (and there are plenty of them !!!) and the quick release catch on the seat post appeared to make battery removal a piece of cake. Wasn't too sure about the stability/comfort of the saddle but I guess this can always be changed.
Therefore do the members have any comments on Wisper purchase or are there other new models/brands that I should also consider before parting with the hard earned readies.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Welcome! :) You have done the right thing and tried a crank drive and hub system. I keep on getting accused of being partisan but until something better then a 905 comes along, with equally as good support (probably more unlikely) then I will keep on saying they are a very satisfying bike.

I currently have a city, previously a sport...missing the front suspension a bit, so a city S is probably the best of both worlds I guess.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I fully agree with Eddie that it's important to try both types. However, that can put the Panasonic unit bikes at a disadvantage since there are specific ways in which they have to be used to perform at their best and that needs learning. Once that's mastered they are excellent performers on hills in particular and can outclimb any legal hub motor bike on the steepest hills.

I can no longer get even the most powerful hub motor bike up a 1 in 4 (25%) hill for example, but can climb a 1 in 3.3 (30%) on a Panasonic unit bike.

Andym

Just Joined
Jun 23, 2010
hi guys, many thanks for your views. I have decided to "jump in" and purchase either Wisper 905 City S or 906 Alpino. I intend to do this through my local shop. Is there anything that I should check/ask for/insist upon before parting with the readies. I think Wisper's warranty seems very good and the fact one of their Directors regularly posts on this site shows they are committed to good service (in fact if you have any advice, David from Wisper, please let me know) so all in all feel that is a sound purchase decision ???
Rgds
Andy

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
hi guys, many thanks for your views. I have decided to "jump in" and purchase either Wisper 905 City S or 906 Alpino. I intend to do this through my local shop. Is there anything that I should check/ask for/insist upon before parting with the readies. I think Wisper's warranty seems very good and the fact one of their Directors regularly posts on this site shows they are committed to good service (in fact if you have any advice, David from Wisper, please let me know) so all in all feel that is a sound purchase decision ???
Rgds
Andy
Just give them both a good demo before making your mind up and report back plse.......... I have not tried a 906xc yet:(

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Rgds
Andy
Hi Andy

Thanks for choosing a Wisper, I hope you have masses of fun and great service from the bike.

Regarding your dilemma in choosing between the two bikes, as Eddie quite correctly says you should try both before you buy.

There are several important differences between the 905se City S and the 906Alpino, they are as follows;

906Alpino- medium/large frame and 28" wheels
905se City S - medium frame and 26" wheels

906- Alfine 8 hub gear box (IMO the best Shimano produce)
905- Shimano Mega Range 8 speed cassette with Alivio deraileure

906- Dapu (Japanese) light weight hi Efficiency front motor with LCD control panel, 6 assist levels and diagnostics facility
905- Bafang rear wheel drive system with LED control panel and 3 assistance levels

906- Ice White frame
905- Diamond Black frame

The 905 feels more powerful but the 906 has a better range, however we can offer a free upgrade on the 906 controller that will increase the power and lower the range if you prefer, I ride the 906xc Tourer without the upgrade and it suites be perfectly (I am 19 stone).

That is about all the advice I can offer, apart from buy from a Wisper Full Service dealer and make sure you take the bike back for a spoke adjust and safety check after the bike has settled in, say about 200 miles. Also when you buy the bike please remember to register it on line for our full 2 year warranty and anti theft service.

Please let me know how you get on?

Best regards

David :)

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Hi Andy

Thanks for choosing a Wisper, I hope you have masses of fun and great service from the bike.

Regarding your dilemma in choosing between the two bikes, as Eddie quite correctly says you should try both before you buy.

There are several important differences between the 905se City S and the 906Alpino, they are as follows;

906Alpino- medium/large frame and 28" wheels
905se City S - medium frame and 26" wheels

906- Alfine 8 hub gear box (IMO the best Shimano produce)
905- Shimano Mega Range 8 speed cassette with Alivio deraileure

906- Dapu (Japanese) light weight hi Efficiency front motor with LCD control panel, 6 assist levels and diagnostics facility
905- Bafang rear wheel drive system with LED control panel and 3 assistance levels

906- Ice White frame
905- Diamond Black frame

The 905 feels more powerful but the 906 has a better range, however we can offer a free upgrade on the 906 controller that will increase the power and lower the range if you prefer, I ride the 906xc Tourer without the upgrade and it suites be perfectly (I am 19 stone).

That is about all the advice I can offer, apart from buy from a Wisper Full Service dealer and make sure you take the bike back for a spoke adjust and safety check after the bike has settled in, say about 200 miles. Also when you buy the bike please remember to register it on line for our full 2 year warranty and anti theft service.

Please let me know how you get on?

Best regards

David :)
David,

What is an anti theft service ? A bouncer with every bike ?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
David,

What is an anti theft service ? A bouncer with every bike ?
No, not quite Bigbee, but good idea!

We took a leaf out of 50 Cycles' book, I remember being massively impressed when I read that they had recovered a Kalkhoff from a thief who tried to order a new charger, they took the guys address and bike frame number. Realising the frame number corresponded with a stolen bike, instead of delivering the charger popped around to the "new owner's" house, collected the bike and re-united it with it's rightful owner! Brilliant!!:D

So....

We keep a register of all bike frames and battery numbers, partly for warranty issues but also for security. These details are on record with the name address of the owner and supplier of the bike.

We have a policy of not supplying chargers to anyone without both frame and battery numbers.

If a Wisper customer has their Wisper bike stolen we ask them to contact us immediately, we will put a mark on their individual details saying the bike has been stolen. If we get a request for a charger for a bike with a number that matches the battery, frame or both we inform the supplier of the original bike, the bike owner and the dealer who has requested the supply of the new charger. The owner will then be able to contact the authorities and or their insurance company to let them know where the bike is.

Not our idea, but a great way of recovering stolen electric bikes as what good is the bike without the correct charger?

This will be fully explained an implemented on our new web site, coming soon.

All the best

David

Andym

Just Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Hi David & all,
Many thanks for all your responses. I am definitely leaning towards the 906.
Regards your comments re changing the 906 controller. What is the approx reduction in range experienced. For info/ref I am 5'9" and just under 12 stone so hopefully this offsets the slightly heavier frame of the 906 (vs 905).
Don't suppose there's any chance of the 906 being made available in black ?
Many thanks
Andy

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Andy

It would reduce the range by about 5%. But I think at your weight the longer range 14A controller would be perfect. Try both!

Sorry the Alpino os only available in White.

All the best

David

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Andy have you tried the 906 xc? carbon frame in black. same size frame/wheel size as 905.

I am 5.10 and find the 905 a good fit......Did you find the 906 alpino more comfortable?

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Alastair!

Welcome to the forum, it's a great place to keep in touch with customer's and sort out any problems they may be experiencing!

All the best

David