E-Bike Seating Positions

Tubaman

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2009
Hello all,

I`ve been running an E-Bike for some 6 months or so - converted my existing mountain bike using the AlienOcean 36V 250 Watt kit (I have nothing but praise to say for the kit - quality/powerfull motor, decent battery, controller works well).

Recently, I`ve started to get pins & needles in my hands when riding (11 mile trip to work each way each day). I strongly suspect my handlebar is too low & I`m putting too much weight/force on my hands & lower arms. seating position seems to be about right.

Is it worth simply lifting the handlebars higher or do you know of anyone that supplies a more upright handlebar system (similar to the ones the Dutch seem to like) that would not look too stupid on a mountain bike ?

I appreciate a high seat/low handlebar maybe better for aerodynamics.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Certainly, I think raising the bars slightly, if you can, will help. I also found that changing the grips for something with a bit more give and vibration absorbtion made a lot of difference when I had the exact problem you're describing. There's also the possibility of wearing a decent pair of padded gloves to even the weight distribution and provide some impact protection.

I can't bear to ride without gloves, as in the past have skinned my palms in a couple of crashes.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I bought some fingerless padded cycling gloves and cycling shorts at the weekend (Decathlon) and it really makes a hell of a difference.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
I'm another enthusiast for fingerless padded gloves. Bought originally for protection as I got gravel rash on my hands when I fell off, but I find they do help with comfort.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Before making big changes try to angle the saddle back a bit (ie lift the nose up), that can reduce the weight on your wrists and may be all that's needed.

Tubaman

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2009
Thanks Flecc & all - the Raleigh High Rise bars look like something I would be interested in if problem not solved by adjusting heights of bar/seat etc.

drgcb

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Another bar to consider is the On-One Mary:

On-One

Gives a decent amount of rise but the slight backwards sweep puts the hands and wrists into a more anatomic position, which may relieve some of the strain. It doesn't look too bizarre on my hybrid (in the black finish rather than chrome). The extra length did require the rear brake cable to be replaced, however.