E-bikes and rain

Allan Macdonald

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Deal and Brittany
I am sure e-bikes are perfectly rain proof, or more accurately, I didn't give it a thought when we bought our Kudos bikes. But recently, there have been one or two threads involving pedelec breakdowns and the question " did it get wet" was asked.
So, is it safe to ride our bikes in the rain? Is there anything we need to do when we are out or when we get home? We generally put the bikes in the garage, connect the charger and huge padlock and chain, and go indoors.
We both got caught in a deluge last week, it started about 50m away from home, so we turned round and went back. I wiped down the controllers and batteries and stuck them in the garage as normal.
They still work.
Allan

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
I am sure e-bikes are perfectly rain proof, or more accurately, I didn't give it a thought when we bought our Kudos bikes. But recently, there have been one or two threads involving pedelec breakdowns and the question " did it get wet" was asked.
So, is it safe to ride our bikes in the rain? Is there anything we need to do when we are out or when we get home? We generally put the bikes in the garage, connect the charger and huge padlock and chain, and go indoors.
We both got caught in a deluge last week, it started about 50m away from home, so we turned round and went back. I wiped down the controllers and batteries and stuck them in the garage as normal.
They still work.
Allan
i have a woosh santana that cut out recently and someone wondered whether it got wet (it was just a loose connection, not wet). for what its worth, having opened the controller box i discovered that its surprisingly weatherproof - a box inside a box (the controller is a sealed box itself inside another box), i cant imagine rain being a problem

Reactions: Allan Macdonald
D

Deleted member 4366

In most cases they're OK; however, it's best to take sensible precautions. Riding the bike shouldn't be a problem, but if leaving it parked in the rain, cover the LCD/LED panel and throttle with plastic bags. Of course you have to keep yourself dry too, so a cape (poncho) covers you and the bike.

Bottle batteries are vulnerable too. I've taken one through floods, but if you commute in the rain, it would be best to put a shower cap over it or something similar.

Allan Macdonald

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Deal and Brittany
Thanks both, I was sure they would be waterproof, they are bikes after all and rain is part of cycling nowadays.
The batteries on the bikes are in different places. The Tempo has one behind the down tube, the Safari, in the rear carry rack. I guess some form of waterproof cover would be a good idea, I like the sound of a cape too, and that should keep the batteries dry.
I had a cape years ago (60's) when I used to ride to school, I have seen they are still available now, hope they come back in fashion, there was nothing to beat them to keep you dry
Allan

Reactions: RichB

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One e-bike of a very well known brand I once bought actually had the instruction in the manual, "Do not ride in the rain".

I'll spare their blushes by not naming it.

Allan Macdonald

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Deal and Brittany
It's interesting that they actually wrote that in the manual.
So, just to be on the safe side, I dug my manual out and read it!
In the first few pages, it tells you about wet weather riding and being careful of the brakes.
Further in the manual, it tells me not to wash the bicycle "direct with spraying water, to avoid water entering electrical components"
Further on, it says " Do not use the bike in a rainstorm or thunderstorm, nor use the bike in water"
Then, it tells me about maintaining the controller.." Pay more attention to protect from raining and soaking water which may damage the controller". Then it tells me if it does get wet and malfunctions, to turn it off till it dries out, then turn it on again.
It also tells me not to punch the battery!
I dont intend to go out in a rainstorm or thunderstorm, but if one starts when I am out, do they expect you will wait in a shelter till it stops?
Are light rain, drizzle and showers classed as a rainstorm?
So, just to be on the safe side, I shall get a cover ( hotel shower cap) for the battery controller and one for the handlebar controller and deploy them in the rain!
Allan

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That one seems to be covering all bases Allan! With my one that had that reference I remade the insulation on the vulnerable places and never suffered a problem with it after being caught out in heavy rain a few times.

I did suffer a problem with a folder that I laid on it's side in the boot of my car when it was still wet. Back home it was no longer working, since being on it's side enabled rain water droplets to run along a cable and into the controller. Thirty minutes in a small closed room with a fan heater on one kw setting and a dehumidifier running got it going again.

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi Allan.I have had a Freego Eagle now for 4 years or more and covered some 20/25000 miles and not once have I had a problem with water ingress.If it looks like its going to rain (and I live in Exeter so its not if but when!!!!) I spray all the electrical bits with a bit off WD40 (tool station its cheaper!!) but be careful of the brakes!!!!!! and I also leave my bike out in the rain when down the cafe (sorry Pub !!!!)
and not a problem but make sure you wipe things down when you get home.I ride my bike in all weathers summer and winter and believe me I have been through some really really really bad weather and when home its in my shed and I try to leave the door open for airflow but really it should be ok.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Hi all.

The handlebar controller on my wife's Kalkoff ProConnect (2008 and now done over 10,000 miles) hasn't liked getting wet for about the last year. It ceases to work at all. No lights show on power or mode buttons when water gets into the switch. It's OK when it dries out, so we taken to making sure we've got a plastic bag to cover the switch at he first drop of rain, seems to work.

Mike

Allan Macdonald

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Deal and Brittany
Took the battery off today ( rear tyre puncture!) and noticed the whole battery carrier was loose and the battery wouldn't slot into the controller unit properly, which was also loose.
So, I took the top off the controller housing. Inside was a sealed silver alloy box housing the controller and lots of wires and connectors. The bolts holding the controller housing were loose, so I tightened 3 of them, the fourth had pulled through the bottom of the plastic housing. I need to modify these bolts and put washers under them, as they should have done at the factory!
Anyway, disappointed as I was with the quality of the carrier/ controller housing, it all looks pretty waterproof in there but I might just try and seal the plastic outer housing a bit better. I tightened up the bolts on the carrier too and the battery went back in fine.
Allan

D

Deleted member 4366

If you seal anything up, it's always a good idea not to seal all round. Leave a hole or unsealed bit at the bottom so that any water that does get in can get back out. I've seen a couple of drowned controllers where people tried to seal the compartment down by the bottom bracket.

Reactions: steve.c

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
No rain forecast for yesterday so off i set. Five miles out, it peed down and i am getting concerned that water will get into the throttle or brake lever sensors and cause a short. This morning i am looking on Ebay and other sites for a handlebar waterproof cover but found nothing. How easy it would be if there was such a thing that could be just clipped on!

Allan Macdonald

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Deal and Brittany
No rain forecast for yesterday so off i set. Five miles out, it peed down and i am getting concerned that water will get into the throttle or brake lever sensors and cause a short. This morning i am looking on Ebay and other sites for a handlebar waterproof cover but found nothing. How easy it would be if there was such a thing that could be just clipped on!
It would be easier if you could rely on everything being properly waterproofed, I mean, the UK is renowned for its changeable ( i.e. rainy) weather and manufacturers should ensure their goods are fit for where they are to be sold.
Saying that though, the controller on mine is at the highest point of the wiring so no water will be able to seep along the cables into it. It appears to be well sealed anyway and the cables enter at the bottom.
Allan

Reactions: GloveMakingMan
D

Deleted member 4366

As you're a glovemaking man, you should be able to come up with something, otherwise a few freezer bags and rubber bands should sort you out.

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
I cycle through all weathers and the other morning on my way to work (10 miles) it was torrential and this happens fairly often so before I set off I give everything on the handlebars a quike spray with WD40 (well the equivelant from Tool Station) and all the other electric bits and no problem?? but make sure that all the places where water can get into the control unit (frame etc ) are sealed with silicon so no water can run down the cables,Ive done this now for 4 years with no problem but make sure you get all the holes!! I also sealed the control units cover and then screwed it cloased I also coat all the electric bits with sprayed on wax also from Tool Station. Try it ??

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
As they say.... Rule number 9.

Same ride.

What I didn't know with the first photo, was that a trench had opened/collapsed across the rode. The front wheel went down to almost the brake disc. Shortly after this shot another cyclist came through and I advised him of a pot hole and to try the other side of the road. That was when we found out that it was an open trench! He fell off!