jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Dressed like that they'll catch their death, anyone got any Vics :p

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
:D That's a very good report looks like Bosch need to up their game and have an attitude adjustment ;) Panasonic is still the system to go for it seems...

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
:D That's a very good report looks like Bosch need to up their game and have an attitude adjustment ;) Panasonic is still the system to go for it seems...
Indeed......... and looking at new Kalkhoff/Panasonic bikes for 2011, they have some smashing bikes coming out. if they come to the UK is the BIG question though:rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And not just Bosch, Yamaha, Sunstar and Daum crank drive units also fall short in various ways with their similar units.

In fairness though, Panasonic have been on their second version for well over three years, altogether a decade of experience with this unit type.

Velospeed

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2009
West Berks
And not just Bosch, Yamaha, Sunstar and Daum crank drive units also fall short in various ways with their similar units.

In fairness though, Panasonic have been on their second version for well over three years, altogether a decade of experience with this unit type.
We've not been around for very long, and have not had the opportunity to try every system (though we have seen the Bosch close up) but we reckon the Daum system can more than give the Panasonic a run for its money. And we sell bikes using both, so if anyone wants to try them out and see what we mean please do come on over. We also need help with a big tin of custard creams we're bravely working our way through.:)

John

Velospeed

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Velospeed,

In the brochure for the Daum bikes it says:
"..... A two speed transmission, located in the waterproof housing, changes almost noiselessly as needed to compensate for lighter pedalling".

Is this just a mangled translation or does it really have a 2 speed automatic gearbox between the motor and the cranks.........? :)

Miles

Last edited:

Velospeed

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2009
West Berks
Velospeed,

In the brochure for the Daum bikes it says:
"..... A two speed transmission, located in the waterproof housing, changes almost noiselessly as needed to compensate for lighter pedalling".

Is this just a mangled translation or does it really have a 2 speed automatic gearbox between the motor and the cranks.........? :)

Miles
Hi Miles

Here's what the manual says: “The motor drive of your ergo_bike pedelec is equipped with a high-quality two-level transmission, that lowers (demultiplies) the rotational speed of the powerful motor (up to 3700 RPM) to the pedalling speed range. This ensures you an easy start in most situations"

Now, there is no detectable gear change that we can feel but there is full assistance available from the start. More details from daum themselves: "... a fixed reduction of the motor rpm to the pedal's rpm. Compared e.g. to the Panasonic motor the second stage is internal to keep away any dirt etc. from the internal pinion (-> more maintenance and service friendly)."

There you go, I hope that helps. We haven't had the opportunity to take the drive apart yet but I am looking forward to doing that when we next go to the factory.

John
Velospeed

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Blimey!...........I'm so excited! and I just can't hide it!:D

Can ya ride tandem:D careful!!! got to watch the heart rate:eek:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Just read the A to B review of the Daum Trekking H, it seems to get a reasonable write up but +30Kg for the all uip weight it's simply too heavy and IMHO too expensive.

Velospeed

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2009
West Berks
Just read the A to B review of the Daum Trekking H, it seems to get a reasonable write up but +30Kg for the all uip weight it's simply too heavy and IMHO too expensive.
It is a heavy bike, there's no way around that. But the specification says 26kg including the battery which is within the normal limits. A to B's 30.2 kg is way above that, so it looks like the bathroom scales will be needed here. I will report back on that.

When riding it you can feel that it is a substantial, quality bike. It is well balanced and seems to glide along in an unruffled manner. Probably rather like driving a Bentley, not that I've ever done that - or am ever likely to get the chance. And I wouldn't recommend hoiking any electric bike over stiles, etc, unless you're a powerlifter.

John
Velospeed

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Well if this is a Bentley........why is the 9 amp battery so big, A non starter in my opinion, just on the look of the thing and the weight. Have you ever tried a Swiss flyer? Now there is a class act.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
It needs more thought IMHO, the battery size is simply wrong for that location.