E-Bikes of Paris

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although I would also say that British vandals and thieves are much more angry, thuggish and ruthless than French ones..
From when I lived in Paris I think their French rogues, even the immigrant ones, seem to have a clearer sense of being "French" than our English equivalents who often have no sense of national loyalty to England or English custom and tradition.

Though where criminal ruthlessness is concerned, Marseille probably trumps anywhere.

On the point of consultation, I think we need a lot more of the French approach where they find it necessary, "that's where the power station is going, so shut up". In effect we do do that ultimately, but we waste many years going through sham consultation and inquiry procedures first.

In reality the French public are not as anti-progress as the English though, as witness the way citizens have often encouraged town and city authorities to compete to get a new airport, something that could never happen here. :rolleyes:

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
On the point of consultation, I think we need a lot more of the French approach where they find it necessary, "that's where the power station is going, so shut up".
That is helped along by the fact that what we would call the compulsory purchase order is paid at 125% of the agreed valuation.

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Maybe the answer is to give cheap bikes away free to anyone who wants one

Perhaps the concept needs some refinement in order to make the bike of no value to anyone apart from its user, but you get my drift?

Thoughts? Abuse?
Could it feasible to operate the bike scheme as park and ride? Instead of parking and taking a bus you could choose to pick up a fully charged Wisper e-bike?
This could provide a win-win situation for everyone. More drivers could experience how much freedom an e-bike gives compared to the bus (or their own car). If Wisper bikes had such a scheme in all large towns they could create lots of jobs for newly qualified e-bike technicians.:)
The bikes would be returned as drivers need to return for their car. If you drive an electric car you could have its batteries charged while out on the e-bike.
Traffic congestion & pollution could be reduced.
It would help the government meet various targets to reduce global warming.
The scale of economy would come into play making it feasible for Wisper to heavily reduce the cost of their bikes and batteries.:)
As the scheme reaches saturation bus lanes could be converted into e-bikes/bicycle only lanes.:D
Society becomes healthier and the government can save even more money.
Old Timer could get paid to make the promotional videos.;)

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Great idea, but I don't see it working in the UK, as I think once people are in their cars, it'd be impossible to get most out of them before their destination. Unless such a scheme was compulsory, and as people don't like anything that's enforced (especially if it's for their own good :D ), I cant see it being popular.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Instead of parking and taking a bus you could choose to pick up a fully charged Wisper e-bike?
This would be a nice idea but I think that cycling requires a positive wish to do so on the part of the traveller.

With a car and then bus , you wear what you like and can carry bags of shopping and so on. The bike requires special clothing (in the sense of warm and waterproof rather than Lycra!) and limits your carrying capacity.

Also, you need a certain confidence and chuztpah to cycle urban streets, maybe even a bit more in non-cyclists' eyes for an electric bike.

The kind of person who would park and cycle would likely carry a folding bike of his own.

There might be a case for hiring out non-assisted cycles for park and cycle' (though I doubt it) but electric bikes would just add more expense plus introduce charging problems on top.

In a better world, it's be a nice idea but in this one......:(