E-Bikes on trains

Stapley13

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2017
Whitfield
Are electric bikes allowed on trains?

I cannot find anything specific on google. Motorbikes and mopeds are not allowed and there are some bike bans during commuter rush hour.

There does not seem to be anything specific on electric bikes though.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
See this excellent A to B page about bikes on trains restrictions.

Generally e-bikes are treated as normal bikes, but check each train company entry for details, they often have rules about folding bikes. The following is what A to B say about Electric Bikes:

Electrically-assisted bikes are a fascinating grey area. Our view is that they are very definitely allowed on the trains, because in the eyes of the law, they are bicycles, and they are not specifically banned on a national basis (they are not mentioned in the Conditions of Carriage at all). But train operators can instigate local bans, and a guard who has taken a dislike to your machine may rule that it counts as a motorcycle, moped or motor scooter, and ask you to leave the train. If in doubt, be discrete, and take the battery off, thus deactivating the machine.

Last edited:

Stapley13

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2017
Whitfield
See this excellent A to B page about bikes on trains restrictions.

Generally e-bikes are treated as normal bikes, but check each train company entry for details, they often have rules about folding bikes. The following is what A to B say about Electric Bikes:

Electrically-assisted bikes are a fascinating grey area. Our view is that they are very definitely allowed on the trains, because in the eyes of the law, they are bicycles, and they are not specifically banned on a national basis (they are not mentioned in the Conditions of Carriage at all). But train operators can instigate local bans, and a guard who has taken a dislike to your machine may rule that it counts as a motorcycle, moped or motor scooter, and ask you to leave the train. If in doubt, be discrete, and take the battery off, thus deactivating the machine.
.[/QU

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The cheap French bus companies differentiate, but from what I understand it is a weight issue, not a battery issue.

Bikes (all kinds) are free on TER and cost 10€ on other trains. Bikes in bike bags are free because considered as hand luggage.

I would always remove the battery and carry it with me if you aren't travelling with the bike next to your seat.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks but it does not give a definitive answer from the rail companies.
Because none have made any ruling on e-bikes, so no definitive answer can be given by anyone.

As A to B say, legally they are just bicycles so should be accepted, only the rare stroppy guard making their own law being a possible problem. But they cannot be forecast of course.

• :D
Reactions: grldtnr

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I have taken my old Oxygen Emate City with a large battery behind the seat post on many a train with no issues at all including a busy commuter train out of Waterloo which was so busy there was no chance of the Guard checking.

There are rules about what times you are allowed to travel with a non folding bike at busy times but you need to check as they sometimes don't seem to make a lot of sense.

For example you might be allowed to put a bike on a train at a one station that is further away from London and not allowed to put a bike on the same train at the next stop down the line.

I checked with the information desk at Waterloo and was quite surprised that they said I could put my bike on the train I wanted to as it seemed pretty close to evening peak travel and the train I put it on was crammed.

The timetables in my area that used to be South West Trains were colour coordinated to show for any given station the cut off time for travelling with a non folding bike.

If you have not bought your bike yet and use the train a lot I would consider getting a folding one. The Whoosh Zephyr B looks quite good if you like a bike with bigger wheels but gets round the rule by still being able to fold.