E-Bikeshop.co.uk

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it shouldn't be the case though. Buyers can always ask the shop to upgrade pedals if the freebies don't suit them. The manufacturers don't fit them because of marketing. Bikes without pedals look better on pictures and are like Venus without her hands. Make you wonder.

Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Both my bikes were free and came with pedals which I promptly scrapped for ergotech ones... :rolleyes:

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Tbh I think it's just the real greed of some dealers that want to fleece every penny they can out of the customer as a cheap pair of peddles would not cost them more than a couple of quid .

• Agree

Geome

Pedelecer
May 14, 2016
UK
I would advise any potential online purchasers to examine the seller's terms conditions some give you 365 days to return such as Chain Reaction some such as Ebikeshop leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
  • Informative

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
I haven't dealt with Martin, but...

- refusing to cover your travel costs to his shop or to discount a bike by an equivalent amount; and
- not providing pedals on an £x,000 bike

...aren't what I consider to be valid points to include in this thread.

The first is simply ridiculous to me and the second is standard practice with bikes (or the manufacturer provides the cheapest of cheap terrible plastic pedals which provide zero grip, are actually dangerous IMO and which I'd consider to be immediate throw away items anyway).

I don't think it's appropriate to single out Martin on these points, albeit some of the other points seem fair game.

Vasilis_Pap

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2015
Strange. I got metal pedals with both my trekking bikes from 2 different sellers. I wasn't charged for them and seem decent to me. Sure you can spend a fortune on pedals but I wasn't told: hay bike comes without pedals you need to pay for them!

StewC

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2016
Lancing, on the South Downs.
Did you really ask him for a discount to cover your time & expenses for driving to his shop?

I'm not defending the guy, I don't know him and have never dealt with him, but I can understand why he would be unwilling to pay you to come to his shop!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
No I didn't ask for a discount, just for travelling, but I wanted to know if there was any possibility of getting a discount before taking time travelling to see/test ride a bike I had already ridden, and I knew what I wanted.
I know some dealers will not offer any discounts until the buyer is waving cash under their noses, but these days they maybe missing out on business.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
I was also put off from arranging a test drive with Martin at ebikeshop.com, as I didn't like the fact that you had to purchase a bike from him to be able to purchase any accessories or have any bike serviced by him.
A shop usually sells accessories to whoever wants to buy them.

However, I know several bike shops that will only service bikes purchased from their shop. It's probably a good thing for their own customers (to get quicker services).

I live 45-60min drive from them, but Martin wasn't prepared to offer any discount or discuss price before test ride, so I cancelled test ride, and that's when he got stroppy as I cancelled appointment.
Well, you can't force the guy to give you a discount, nor to pay for your travel to his shop! You can always discuss, as you have, the possibility of a discount before turning up (if you expect one, and don't want to waste your time), but you can't get mad if he does not give one. Just shop elsewhere.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Regarding the pedals, lots of high end push bikes don't come with pedals too.

If an electric bike does not come with pedals (which is a lot more uncommon), then the reseller should at least notify the person at ordering time, and should include some cheap ones anyway (normal bike shop very often do).

If I was purchasing an expensive bike, and was told I had to add £20 more for the pedals, I would just walk away.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
If a bike has no pedals, is it fit for purpose?

I think this is the norm when you buy a high end bike and it's not just e-bikes.
This is true.

Its also not about weight, or profits. Its because when you buy a high end bike, chances are you're the sort of customer who wants specific pedals. Ie SPD, Time, a certain brand of flat pedal, or anything else. You won't want the generic choice of the person who specc'd the bike.

So on anything over £1k RRP pretty much with us and most brands, you don't get pedals. This is because in the past shops have filled up with loads of pedals that people didn't want or need. Which is a waste of money for the brands, kills aftermarket sales of pedals around the world.

So yes if you're buying a top end bike, you need to get pedals separately, because they are a very personal choice item. Think of it, not like fuel.... but more like the child seat for your family car. Its not included with the car, but you need one, and you want to choose it to fit your child.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Or you could think of it as;- You're not going to be able to ride your £3k purchase until you get some pedals, whenever that might be and however long that might take. So you're really up the creek without a paddle. :)

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
I don't know what the problem is here with the pedals? When I bought my bike I asked the shop to put some pedals on 'cause I was going to try the bike out on my way home. They were the cheapest pair (my guess £2.50 trade?) but I don't blame them at all. No charge for them. I'm happy. They knew I'd be replacing them at some point (I haven't yet, they seem ok to me).If your going to use your new bike as soon as you leave the shop, I'm sure any dealer would do the same?