E-Bikeshop.co.uk

Or you could think of it as;- You're not going to be able to ride your £3k purchase until you get some pedals, whenever that might be and however long that might take. So you're really up the creek without a paddle. :)
yes, but that would be the same as ... I'm not able to put my child in my family car until I sort out a child seat.

You're in store, most shops will give a set of pedals with the bike for free, or do them at cost price. Its just that the brands can't provide them, because we don't know what you want!

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
Any high end bike owner knows the score. If you go on holiday and hire a bike, you take your pedals on the trip with you.

Its just the way the bike industry works once you're spending more than about 1k. Some people like flat pedals, some want clips, some like certain brands. But in practice its always part of the negotiation with the store.

• Informative

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
It does make you wonder what else there not going to include in the purchase price on some of these high end bikes .

My Cube was not cheap,but it came with decent peddles at no extra cost .

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Any high end bike owner knows the score. If you go on holiday and hire a bike, you take your pedals on the trip with you.
I wonder if these high end owners also take there toilet seat with them as well when they go on holiday.:rolleyes:

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Pedals that came with my Haibike have never been fitted and never will be. Bike was fitted with SPD's as soon as I got it. I now have a pair of pedals to dispose of, so they cost the manufacturer to buy them, me to have them in the price of the bike and the environment for unnecessary waste disposal.
Back on topic I do find limiting spare parts to people who bought the bike from you to be a very strange business model, servicing fair enough but parts is just weird.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
If pedals are not standard because of personal choice how come they come with a saddle? How much more more personal is that?

Last edited:
saddles are a standard... anyone can fit on a saddle. It might not be comfy but you can fit it.

Pedals are not standard, if you give out SPDs, you need to give out cleats and then also shoes. On cheaper bikes brands give out flat pedals. But you try giving flat pedals with a decent road or MTB, its worthless.

So on a high end bike, do you give Shimano, or Time, or Look, or Speedplay pedals? They all use different systems to engage with shoes. So do you also give out cleats, and shoes?

The system has evolved for a good reason. It might not seem logical, but it does work.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I had a struggle fitting a Brooks saddle and I'm not the only one. Not all are easy for anyone.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I am happy with the ones that came with my bikes. It could be that OnBike just fitted them for me but none of my current bikes could be thought of as low spec machines.

As usual, go to a good reputable dealer who sell good kit and there is less chance of dissatisfaction.

StewC

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2016
Lancing, on the South Downs.
My Trek Powerfly came with Pedals and a saddle, but I changed them both within first week of ownership.
If a shop is going to supply a bike without pedals, they should make the customer aware at point of sale. This would then avoid confusion, frustration & an unhappy customer.

• Agree

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
Tell me which pedals you'd buy in by the thousand to sell on a £3000 full suspension eMTB, just as an example
Shimano Saint - quality pedal, strong, reliable, make most people running flats happy, etc. I imagine you could pick those up for peanuts if you were buying in their thousands and I imagine the majority of buyers would appreciate it.

Just because the bike industry works that way as I noted above, doesn't mean I agree with it - I think a £3k bike should come with a decent quality pair of flats which the buyer can swap out if they so wish.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I think this has gone off topic a bit, I'm sure the original question was about
e-bikeshop?
I think that it came down to comparing the terms and conditions of a one man band, to that of a world wide company with infinite resources available to it.
As much as I hate Martin's business strategy, comparing the two isn't exactly reasonable or fair. It's equally unfair to judge without knowing what the issue is in the first place.

I would advise any potential online purchasers to examine the seller's terms conditions some give you 365 days to return such as Chain Reaction some such as Ebikeshop leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited: