E-Brompton - First Ride/Tweaks

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I like your design with the luggage block, very nicely executed too ! :) (patent it, quick ;) )

Oh, and those Moulton small-wheel bikes are great. I rode a more recent model that looked just like that, and loved it:

VERY expensive though. ++Dan

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
It looks like it would snap in half given a big enough shock/jolt!

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
It's a space-frame, you have to see it in 3D to understand how rigid it actually is. :)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yep the space frames are expensive though they do a basic one at about £950. I saw one in a shop on Friday that was £7K :eek:

If I do get one I will get an F frame Mk3.

Regards

Jerry

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
The Moulton space frame is engineered art :)
The top-end price point means it will remain a looked-after classic for a long time, with strong residuals and a select group of owners...I wish I could afford one though !

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
A final update after nearly two years and approaching 2500 miles.

The Brompton has since been updated to use Kojak tires, the three speed hub dispensed with and the Brompton two speed option used instead. Hub gears are preferable but I really only need two speeds (one to start and one once up to crusing speed) and it saves weight (about 1kg overall) which is important for carrying.

Anyway a couple of pics showing how it is running today, minus the Kojaks that are now fitted.

The battery has over over 400 charge cycles and holds charge and is as balanced as the day I first used it.

Apart from a lose soldered wire and some problems with the internal Tongxin motor clutch spring making a strange noise, both of which occured and were fixed in the first six months, the setup has been reliable and has never let me down.

Its sure going to be interesting to see Brompton's E version of this wonderfull little folder.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

thingaby

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2008
Thanks for putting these photos up. I've enjoyed this thread from start to this seeming finish. Sadly, my phantasy about one day copying your efforts has been ended by my Brompton getting stolen. I can't see Brompton's own effort improving on you.
atb steve