E-cat: Fantastic new energy source.

cirrus18

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Cornwall. UK
E-CAT: FANTASTIC NEW ENERGY SOURCE.
If this all turns out to be true it looks like all the energy problems of the world are going to be solved overnight. Abundant free energy for very little cost.

I just don't know why we are not hearing about it more in the newspapers, especially with all the current talk about clean energy. It has being evaluated by many scientists and it seems to be working and not a hoax. They even say it's expected to be on the market this autumn. Fantastic?!!
Imagine this on your bike: "The maximum safe output from an E-Cat with a reactor vessel only 50cc in volume is 10 kilowatts." Of course I am only presuming that you could fit one to your bike.
10 kW would make you shift wouldn't it!!!!

E-Cat Cold fusion device independently validated producing 800% more energy than input

Initially met with skepticism due to claims that it works on cold fusion technology, the energy catalyzer has been validated producing 2.6 kilowatts from an input of 300 watts by Swedish technology magazine The technology, which was granted a patent in April, is expected to be on the market this fall.

Getting Ready for The Rossi Energy Catalyzer — A Low Energy Nuclear Reactor
Energy Catalyzer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

E-Cat News Coming Fast and Furious

http://www.e-catworld.com/

Nobel laureate touts E-Cat cold fusion. Index of /2011/06

Rossi's E-Cat (Energy Catalyzer) Press Conference in Greece set for June 23

Learn more: E-Cat Cold fusion device independently validated producing 800% more energy than input

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
I'll sit with the sceptics until it has been validated by snopes.com!

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I'm also coming down on the side of the skeptics, though would be happy for it to be real. One too many cold fusion (I know this particular 'Energy Catalyzer' doesn't claim to be such) scams have soured my willingness to take this kind of thing too seriously.

It is of course totally possible that they have stumbled onto something that the prevailing scientific wisdom can't explain satisfactorily. Time will tell I guess.

Energy Catalyzer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi I am sure it is Real BUT BUT it will disappear as a scam the inventors will be paid extraordinary sums off money to make it into a scam if the don't play ball they and there family's will be disposed off till the invention goes away MONEY talks

When you are talking about losing Billions off $$$$$$$$ per hour Anything goes

The only chance is we will find an inventor who will publish all there findings for FREE

Use to anybody to make the world a better place There names will go down in history

next to the most famous inventors

Frank

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
Well we'll all find out in October when his 1mw production facility in Greece comes online.

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
I took a quick look at this a few months ago.

E-CAT: FANTASTIC NEW ENERGY SOURCE.

Nobel laureate touts E-Cat cold fusion.
Unfortunately this turns out to be BD Josephson who as a graduate student in 1962 did Nobel Prize winning work making a superconducting tunneling device (an important bit of science hence the Nobel Prize in 1972.) However since the beginning of the 1970s his research interest seems to have been parapsychology and similar subjects which have not got him anywhere. Not a promising supporter!

Well we'll all find out in October when his 1MW production facility in Greece comes online.
Well said Willin'.

It appears the "secret catalyst" is being kept secret so that the idea can be commercially exploited. The 1 MW power station should certainly make money -- if it works! Look out for the excuses why it has not worked.

Also with most scientific breakthroughs of an experimental nature, details are published so that other scientists can repeat the work and verify the results. If nothing is published which can be replicated then there is no reason not think this is a scam. Even the famous cold fusion controversy of 1989 resulted in numerous replication attempts which failed.

The Wikipedia article on Cold Fusion sums up the scientific status of this new device as follows.

In January 2011 researchers from the University of Bologna, Andrea Rossi and Sergio Focardi, claimed to have successfully demonstrated commercially viable cold fusion. The apparatus, built by themselves, is called an Energy Catalyzer. In March 2011, two Swedish physicists evaluated the Energy Catalyzer, under the control of Rossi. As the target is immediate commercialization, the inventors say that details of the invention will not be published yet. The international patent application has been partially rejected because it seemed to "offend against the generally accepted laws of physics and established theories" and to overcome this problem the application should have contained either experimental evidence or a firm theoretical basis in current scientific theories.Due to this secrecy, the Swedish evaluators were not allowed to examine the inside of the reactor, and there is still uncertainty about the viability of the invention. Peer-reviewed journals have not published papers on this invention, leading Rossi to create his own online journal, Journal of Nuclear Physics.
I remain firmly among the doubters on this thread.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well we'll all find out in October when his 1mw production facility in Greece comes online.
I would have thought Greece had more than enough problems already without this scam afflicting it.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Doubter - but looking forward to seeing what happens with this.

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
Well I am firmly in the doubters' camp but I have been reading through the company's white paper to try to glean a bit more understanding. I am certainly awaiting October with some interest. This is worth a read.

Defkalion White Paper

but note this extract from page 7:
"Essentially, Defkalion will:
Sell rights to manufacture Hyperion products under license for a fixed price Receive a fixed price per product sold, as a royalty
Sell its transfer-of-knowledge regarding the production, technical, and after-sales support and maintenance for a fixed price
Supply the industrial secret in a plug-and-play black-box"

hmmmm....

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Wow, a whole milli watt? I could get more than that out of a potato!

(I know you meant mega watt but the engineer in me can't help but read that as a milli. Mega is M, milli is m)

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Ho-Hum, the usual snake oil for the credulous and the gullible.
If there was any truth in it, the laws of physics would be turned on their head and I'd be installing a small one, feeding the output into a bigger one and so on, until I had a power plant big enough to run a V12 Jag body but could run on a squeezed lemon.

I'll plant this one firmly along with the magnetic fuel conditioners and water descalers, thank you very much.

johnamon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 15, 2011
I won't be satisfied until I'm running a Mr Fusion ;-)

P.S. The foreign oil bit isn't a political statement, I just thought it added to the joke when I found it on google image search.....

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The patent that Andrea Rossi applied for is for a nickel mesh + hydrogen - it's simple old industrial chemistry, used commonly to produce of ammonia or sulfuric acid.
It's definitely not nuclear science.
Cold fusion is muon-catalysed. Muons are very heavy electrons, heavy enough to pull nuclei close together until fusion occurs.

peasjam

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Ho-Hum, the usual snake oil for the credulous and the gullible.
If there was any truth in it, the laws of physics would be turned on their head and I'd be installing a small one, feeding the output into a bigger one and so on, until I had a power plant big enough to run a V12 Jag body but could run on a squeezed lemon.

I'll plant this one firmly along with the magnetic fuel conditioners and water descalers, thank you very much.
While this may very well be rubbish, I believe the point is that the input energy is what is required to start and maintain the reaction. The output is the energy generated by the reaction itself.

So for example, experiments with nuclear fusion have involved firing high powered lasers at elements (I forget what exactly) suspended in a plazma to create a fusion reaction. There was a major breakthrough a few months ago when one of the research teams managed to generate more energy from the reaction that the laser consumed.

Matt.

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
This is utterly preposterous. It is so preposterous that it is difficult to know where to begin ridiculing it, but here are a few points

- a large amount of energy is required to create muons. Where exactly is this coming from?
- hydrogen atoms with a muon replacing an electron are admittedly much smaller than normal hydrogen atoms, but a nickel atom would still be shielded by 28 electrons. There is no way the nuclei could come close enough together to allow any sort of nuclear interaction.
- Any nuclear reaction involving nickel and hydrogen would generate gamma radiation. I would love to see an explanation on how this radiation is being shielded or how it could be turned into a useful electric current.

Crackpot Victorian inventors went in for perpetual motion machines. The modern equivalent seems to be cold fusion.