EBC kit to 25yo MTB Commuter?

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
When I ride my unassisted MTB, I'm often "caught out" by the way the front digs in and the rear spins out. My e-bike, which is front motor, (2WD) seems much better behaved on slippery surfaces, even though it's on road tyres. It's like comparing a rear wheel drive car with a four wheel drive.

Of course, once you get to more extreme "off-roading" you want to be lifting the front wheel over obstacles, so you want the motor at the back...

Don't rule out front motor if you have reasons not to mess with the drive train (I wanted to retain a full chaincase). I have the battery over the front wheel, which improves traction.

A front motor fat bike could be fun for really soft surfaces as well. Might build one of those next.

EBC kits appear really good. Mine is just starting to show signs of age at 11,000 miles.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
thanks for that Alex, could you say a little more about the controller swap please - is this the ECB kit? And are we talking about LCD or ECU?, thanks

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
It was the controller that needed an upgrade. If you look in my profile you'll see the thread... Bought the upgrade from China. Link is also in the thread . I think the thread is two bikes one sluggish or something similar :)
Alex

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
Right - I need to make a decision, my loaner ebike goes back next weekend - all my options have a down side so the choice has really come down to listening to the advice from here, not my personal inclination

Plan is to buy a 250W rear cassette kit from YSBattery (a la Alex) and the matching 10.4Ah bottle battery from ebay China/Germany. Fitting is probably more of a job than front hub (my original choice) but once its done its probably saying put (if I am honest with myself here).

Thanks to everyone for getting me to this point, awesome community of folks on here :)

1 question - I assume this is a geared motor? (in fact are all 250W hub motors geared?). Other question - anything I really should know / budget for before going down this route?