eBike feature on Radio 4 You & Yours

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I did listen to it. A pity about the negativity of the one consumer at the end who tried one, found it too heavy and fell off. The rest was very positive though.

C

Cyclezee

Interesting feature, odd how I can't remember being a BBC reporter:confused:

D

Deleted member 4366

I thought that it was really daft to start off with a quirky £1600 Bionx kit. I'd be surprised if it didn't put off more people than encouraging them. Why didn't he start off on the Powabike, which is much more straight-forward to use and cheaper? I reckon as soon as the listeners heard £1600, they mentally switched off. Why didn't they mention that you can get adequate electric bikes from Tescos for £400? That might have made a few ears prick up. That was a total wasted opportunity by the dealer to encourage more people onto electric bikes, but I guess it doesn't bother him because his main business is non-electric bikes. How many electric bikes did he have to sell. Whats that? One? Hello! Do you think that might have something to do with why he sells 100 normal bikes for one electric? How and why did they choose him instead of a proper established electric bike shop?

Overall, I think the damage done in the first few minutes was an appalling piece of journalism.

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We've had quite a lot of free coverage over the last three years on TV, Radio and in newspapers, but I haven't seen any sign that any of it it results in increased sales. Each plug just amounts to no more than a curiosity item for the media concerned.

The real problem in the UK is that new car sales in 2013 are at a six year high of 2.26 millions. Though bicycle sales are normally close at around 2 millions, the cars are commonly used almost daily while few bikes are used more than occasionally and most of that 2 million not at all after a few initial rides.

In this issue as in so many others, the UK is much more closely aligned to the USA than to Europe.

D

Deleted member 4366

They did quite a nice bit on Country file, and the Gadget show is pretty good too. I'm sure these things improve sales, but not by much. most of the things I've seen on TV are totally unrepresentative of normal electric biking by normal people. Having said that, and probably not too much because of what's shown on the TV, ebike usage is steadily gaining momentum. It's happening slowly, so it's difficult to perceive, but you have to take yourself back in time. Three years ago, I never saw other electric bikes when I was out and about, but now there's often a couple (different ones each time) parked down the town centre, and I'm seeing more and more on the road. I use Ebay as a measure of those in circulation. 18 months ago there were about 7 pages of adverts (350 items). Now it hovers around 10 pages (536 today).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That ebay measure is very much in line with the estimated sales. At around 20,000 annually three years ago, the current estimate is 30,000, so a roughly similar 30% increase.

There's been a definite upmarket trend over the years. The sales surge of 2002 to 2005 was mainly of very low price budget SLA shoppers at around £400. The inflation over the decade to date from 2003 is 40%, but the bulk of the e-bikes sold today are far dearer than 40% more, £560.

The average now is probably double that, but the e-bikes are of course very much better too, so better value for money.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Three years ago, I never saw other electric bikes when I was out and about, but now there's often a couple (different ones each time) parked down the town centre, and I'm seeing more and more on the road.
People are hard up due to wage freezes, redundancy and real inflation running at around 5%. They can't afford cars, so turn to bikes. As soon as the economy picks up and people have more cash in their pockets again, they won't need to ride a bike because they will be able to afford another car.

Richard_M

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Ely, East Englia.
A pity about the negativity of the one consumer at the end who tried one, found it too heavy and fell off. The rest was very positive though.
Yes, that was rather unfortunate. Also the motorist who underestimated the speed of the eCyclist approaching in her mirror, opened her door on him and nearly had him off.

d8veh, I agree. Starting the journo off on a quirky, prohibitively expensive £1600 BionX was a poor option.

What I found interesting was the sweeping statement that bikes outside of the UK are routinely used as common transport whereas in the UK, the emphasis is on sport, competition and fitness.

I haven't got the bandwidth to listen again, but does anyone know the bike shop featured ?
That was a really duff choice.

I still think it was a decent feature and rather enjoyed it after my testing ride in the rain yesterday morning.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Yes, I did listen to it. A pity about the negativity of the one consumer at the end who tried one, found it too heavy and fell off. The rest was very positive though.
Quite so; one dozy bint and a Luddite to round it off.