ebike insurance for conversions

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

well they do take the pi$$ as well what do ppl expect i have a bucket and a windows export system :D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
  • Hi @guerney - the bit that I posted about above was to do with the 3rd party insurance cover that comes with membership of cycling UK.
  • Pedal Cover is personal insurance against theft etc and as you point out, it doesn't cover conversions
  • It'll be interested to see if you do get confirmation/details of the 3rd party insurance cover

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes, like that. That could be an expensive repair bill and it looked entirely like the cyclists fault. Wonder if he had 3rd party insurance...
Broken/fractured hip? Slashed face? That modern cars crumple so easily is reassuring - whatever his injuries were, they would have been far worse, if it were not for the bacofoil body panel.

interested to see if you do get confirmation/details of the 3rd party insurance cover
Is it worth chasing details of Cycling UK's 3rd party cover? Omitting such important information from their website suggests murk further down the line - why not make all policy documents available? Why only FAQ and Guidance Notes? And incomplete notes at that. I'm going to look elsewhere.

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Is it worth chasing details of Cycling UK's 3rd party cover? Omitting such important information from their website suggests murk further down the line - why not make all policy documents available? Why only FAQ and Guidance Notes? And incomplete notes at that. I'm going to look elsewhere.
I don't ever plan to ride a bicycle on the roads, but I do meet a few people (often with dogs) when riding off-road and on tow paths. Maybe I should "take one for the team" and look into this.

As I don't ride anywhere as a destination and leave my bike while I go off elsewhere, theft isn't really a consideration either. My bikes are generally inside the house, or a place where noise from a break in would wake me up. And as my better half would tell you, I'm seldom in a good mood when woken unexpectedly... ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
" A spokesperson from Laka confirmed it is possible to insure an electric bike conversion “so long as it complies with the Government’s definition of an EAPC [electrically assisted pedal cycle]”.

Dave George, CEO of
Bikmo, also said his firm would cover a converted bike so long as it “still meets the requirements of an EPAC”.

This means electric bike conversion kits that feature a throttle would not be covered (and, in any case, these would be illegal to use on roads in the UK without registration and appropriate insurance).
"

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
That's a useful article. I have 3rd party insurance with cycling UK and I didn't check coverage but it certainly isn't a listed exception. Always difficult with insurance companies and I may contact the insurance company directly. My guess is that the cycling UK cover erd does cover converted bikes....but don't want to find out the hard way ....

I have little interest in theft and accidental damage insurance for my usage. There has been a lot of talk about registration and insurance recently. Not keen on compulsory insurance as I think it will impede cycling take-up, at the same time, anybody riding regularly might be well advised to have 3rd party insurance for their own good, as well as the 3rd party.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I have 3rd party insurance with cycling UK and I didn't check coverage but it certainly isn't a listed exception. Always difficult with insurance companies and I may contact the insurance company directly. .........
I'm in Cycling UK too - please let us know your findings if you do make that enquiry.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have 3rd party insurance with cycling UK and I didn't check coverage but it certainly isn't a listed exception.
Do you mean converted bicycles aren't listed as an exception in the policy documents Cycling UK has emailed/posted to you?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Knowing cylcle uk and how they work, it is highly likely a conversion will void any insurance claim.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Do you mean converted bicycles aren't listed as an exception in the policy documents Cycling UK has emailed/posted to you?
Cycling UK don't issue policy documents - the insurance is part of the benefits of being a member.

Maybe @Nealh has good reason to be pessimistic about CUK' s insurers which is why it'll be interesting to see the response to @Bogmonster666 's enquiry to the insurance company.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think they cover bonefide OEM EAPC's but when it comes to any diy or pro conversions , the bike is then out of it's optimum design criteria.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
We use Cycling UK and ironically have just paid next year's cover at what might be seen as an expensive £33 each but the cover is good IMO in this "compo manic" part of the UK.
Has Cycling UK sent you policy documents detailing exactly what they cover, their terms and conditions etc?

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Yes we have policy documents which state the level of third party cover and legal protection we have with them. The offer of optional cycle (theft) insurance was declined as we already have it elsewhere.

We took out this cover from strong advice given to us at the time of the Stormont “moped” fiasco which grounded ebikes in this festering part of the UK because of what was seen at the time that ebikes were illegal and those using them were liable to prosecution. In the end some were prosecuted and bikes confiscated but when the buffoons on the Hill came to their senses encouraged by me and several other belligerent and indignant ebikers our bikes were finally accepted as bicycles and not mopeds or motorcycles.
Trust me it was very nasty at times and a lot of apparently knowledgeable and allegedly “powerful” people ended up looking a tad silly. Enough said.

The folder still on my PC relating to this seemingly endless war has a property size of 515306 KB.

However the issue of insurance cover remained and we and several others felt that third party insurance would soon become necessary and legally required so we went ahead at the time and have stuck with it due to the alternatives not being attractive. We have car insurance so why not ebike insurance to cover us in the event of an accident / incident.
For as long as we cycle we will retain this level of cover.

At the time of this war it could have been seen by forum members as overreacting but we accepted that as this is a difficult place in which to live if you are not on your toes. I still believe it will become compulsory at some point so we are OK with £33 annually should it become law.

I have been around a bit in 73 years on 2, 4 and 18 wheels but the things I now see on the roads and footpaths make my eyes water.

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
From the ETA website:

"Beware ebikes that are sold with speed limiters you can alter yourself. The fact you can restrict your e-bike to 15.5mph does not make it legal for use on British roads if the motor is rated above 250W. Apart from anything else, you will not be able to insure this type of bike as a bicycle."

On my Bafang 250W BBS01B kit, the speed limit can be set at the controller using the programming cable, or it can be programmed to be set by the display. Programming of the controller could be assumed to have been done by the seller or manufacturer, there is no way to prove otherwise. When the speed limit is set at the controller, I think it's legal, when the speed limit can be easily be changed at the display, it's not? If the above quote is correct, are all KT kits where the speed limit can be changed by the display illegal? I suspect it's a insurer's requirement they can use to wriggle out of payouts.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the fact that you can change the power settings means it is not road legal any insurance will be a waste of money.

look at it like a car with a 2l motor if i fit dual turbos to it or change the hole engine for a 5000bhp one it would still be insured until they take a look at it and then ur fooked.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
the fact that you can change the power settings means it is not road legal any insurance will be a waste of money.
On the BBS01B, the user can only change the power limit is by hacking, and there's no way that anyone can prove that the seller didn't set the controller's power limit using Bafang software.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you are not hacking anything not that it matters but it is not a option on bosch ect controllers only 3rd party dongles can do that atm.

but i can remove the dongle there is no way to lock that controller same if i ripped mine out and used a phase runner then all these legal marks and stickers on my bike means nothing does it lol.

all insurance is a scam and if they can find a way not to pay out then they will find it :)