ebike light circuitry question

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I bought a couple of cheap front bike lights off AliExpress a couple of years back but have never fitted them (plenty of clip-on USB rechargeables already to hand), but out of curiosity I thought I'd power them up and was suprised to see that the higher the applied voltage the less total current was drawn from the supply (see attached).

Rather than break open one of the lights to see what's inside, I wonder if anyone out there knows what circuitry is inside and why the load current drops as applied voltage increase?

NB - I won't be using these lights on a bike as the beam pattern is scattered without any discerable cut-off and are therefore likely to dazzle other road users).

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Rather than break open one of the lights to see what's inside, I wonder if anyone out there knows what circuitry is inside and why the load current drops as applied voltage increase?
Switched mode conveter behaving normally.

As the input voltage rises, less current needs to be drawn to supply the same output current\power to the lights.

In all the examples above your lights are consuming around 5W.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Of course - silly me!

Power = current x voltage (P=I x V) so if Power is constant (as in the light's LEDs) then if the voltage rises then the current has to fall.

So obvs - where was my head this evening :cool: Thanks @StuartsProjects