Ebike of the Year 2011

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Fellow electric bicycle owners, would you please put forward your nominations for the prestigious Ebike of the Year Award 2011. Nominations close 08:00 hrs Wednesday 14/12/2011

I will then post a list of bikes for us to vote on.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Haibike

Really it should be the Bosch power unit for the way it's mainstream name generated the huge revival of interest in crank drives. But this is a vote for bikes, and it is the Haibike which was mostly responsible for inspiring the interest, and it's a superb design anyway.

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Well,
My criteria for Ebike 2011 would consider the battery. A number of posters have older bikes and are having difficulty in replacing their batteries because of their odd shapes.
Unless the battery casing is easily opened and re-celled, then I am sorry, but you will be dependant upon the manufacturer staying in business and also continuing to produce your battery.
Just how long should an e-bike last?
5 years, 10 years?
Likewise the control fittings. Are the throttle and switches easily obtainable. Unlike cars, manufacturers of e-bikes do not keep huge stocks of fittings.
Finally the electronics. To be successful, a bike has to sell. If it is overly complicated, it will be expensive and not really play its part in popularising e-bikes.
There were a number of early motorcycles that stood out because they were more sophisticated, but because of their cost, they did not stay the course.
Another poster has pointed out that often a married couole will decide to take up e-biking. This means that for them the cost is doubled.
Inevitably, it will be the Ford Poplar of the e-bike world that will succeed.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Peasant e-bike of the year Mike? :D

Joking aside, only eZee really fit some of that criteria, all models using the same battery fitment throughout the brand's life, with batteries always available and following the technological progress, NiMh, Li-ion, Li-poly, LiFePO4, all freely interchangeable.

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Peasant e-bike of the year Mike? :D

Joking aside, only eZee really fit some of that criteria, all models using the same battery fitment throughout the brand's life, with batteries always available and following the technological progress, NiMh, Li-ion, Li-poly, LiFePO4, all freely interchangeable.
If you think about it, this is what Mr.Average will want. He will not be an enthusiast, just want a cheap reliable bike. Where I live, there is a 5 mile bike path around Swansea Bay. Many people bring their bikes here by car, and then take a ride along the foreshore. It is much the same with campers and caravanners who use their bikes for local exploring. On a number of occasions this summer, I saw a pair of folding e-bikes outside caravans on camping sites. Their owners were older people who obviously just wanted a bit of assistance and would not have been at all interested in technical matters. You might say, convenience, not quality!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree Mike, but the mundane doesn't tend to inspire in the way necessary to win votes.

Most people have aspirations, and it's the targets of the aspirations which capture the imagination.

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
I agree that it should not be the most flashy expensive bike that should win bike of the year, for me it would be the bike that has done the most to improve the lot of the common man, that has innovated to provide affordable, effective bikes that will last. These are the bikes that do the most for the world of ebiking and get more people using electric bikes and using cars less, thereby changing things for the better

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ok all, so where are your nominations that have been asked for?!

D

Deleted member 4366

In the ready-made category, for me, it's still the Cyclamatic. It can be snagged for £360 or less and does it's job well. It can easily and cheaply be adapted to do over 30mph and climb the steepest hills. However not ideal for those with no spanners, but that's only a small minus compared with it;s huge pluses.
In the kit category, I vote the the BMSbattery Bafang BPM kit, that when installed in a decent full suspension bike makes a bike that'll beat anything that you can buy ready-made in nearly every criteria: Looks, range, power, speed, reliability, weight, stealth, comfort, cost. What more do you want?

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Haibike eq trekking.

Excellent all-rounder powered by Bosch.

Haibike eq trekking.

As with all center-drives, the additional weight of the electric drive positioned at the bottom bracket, the natural pivot point of the frame, allowing this 700c wheeled machine to 'see-saw' comfortably over rough ground. Inverting the motor gives good ground clearance, but still enjoying a very low center-of-gravity.

Hydraulic disc brakes, surprisingly easy to maintain with a little self tuition, and completely eliminating periodic rim replacement. The clever marriage of derailleur and geared hub provides a wide range of road gears, but still retaining the ability to drop to a lower gear at a stand-still.

Dependability on long rides assured by the absence of throttles, brake switches, pedelec sensors and their associated cables, all easily damaged if accidentally snagged. None of these are needed on pure pedelecs, just a single cable running to the handlebars for the control console.

Sensible rear carrier and hub dynamo running lights complete the picture. ( I would add an adjustable ahead stem )

As I write, I do not own an example of this carefully thought out machine. A recent thinning of the collection has left two empty boxes in the stable, one of which will almost certainly be occupied by a Haibike Trekking come early spring 2012.

All the best
Bob

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Tough call this trying to pick only one! Some of the opinions expressed already are excellent and I really can't decide yet which model I'd nominate.

Time was when I'd vacillate forever on polls like this. I used to be really indecisive......now, I'm not so sure.

Indalo

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
My nomination is the......

Tonaro Esprit......

powerful, and still has a throttle for when needed,
not horrendously priced,
decent range ,
Good after sales service
reasonable battery replacement cost
and I love her :)

Lynda :)

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Decision made!

Like Flecc, I think really the Bosch crank-drive system is the most exciting development of the last few months but it's not actually a bike so can't be nominated.

That said, as far as the UK is concerned, the Haibike has been the best advertised manifestation of the Bosch system and it seems like a fine bike although not one I want to own. I expect the Bosch system to become available on other bike types soon here in the UK and I'm sure I'll find a model more to my taste.

Crank drive, to me, is a far more elegant method of propulsion than the rather crude hub motors some popular ebikes utilise and I'm delighted that Bosch saw fit to develop such a system rather than a simple hub-drive, ergo Haibike gets my vote this year.

Indalo

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I agree with Flecc and the twin suspension Bosch powered Haibike surely must e bike of the year........ if it is anywhere near as nice as a Flyer X seies (only twin suser I have tried) It must be a stunner especially at the price, as near half that of the Flyer:)

also for consideration the Wisper 905SEL a great development of a tried and tested bike:D

Then the Kalkhoff S class Bosch powered Pro Connect BS10. comes up as a 2012 bike but available in Germany now, and as we are still just about in Europe......:p

I guess seeing that I am the only owner of on here...My DaaHub cant be counted:confused:

Last edited:

BrianSmithers

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2011
DA1
Well I'll give out a shout for my bike, the Kudos Tourer. Nicely priced for a bike that's made very well. Naturally, it isn't the only one like that on the market, but it has to be 'up there' with the promise of better than usual price for a replacement battery once the 2 year (also excellent) warranty has run out.

Father Christmas is apparently bringing some really bright lights for it in a few weeks time. Some thermal underwear might not go amiss either!

- Brian

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
M&S 25% of sale ends today...they do a nice line in thermals;)

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
The problem for people like me (arthritis)with the Bosch system is the lack of a throttle. I would not consider buying this bike.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
The problem for people like me (arthritis)with the Bosch system is the lack of a throttle. I would not consider buying this bike.
you need try one, I think you would be surprised

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Mike, I have to agree with Eddie as I think most people with hip, leg or lower back problems would find crank-drive bikes really easy on those parts of the body, especially on take-off if my Panasonic is anything to go by. If I switch on assistance before setting off, something I need to do less and less these days I'm pleased to say, next to no energy is required of my lower body and legs for a quick getaway.

Unlike some other ebikes, the assistance from the motor kicks in immediately any pressure is applied to a pedal; there isn't a half-turn or any time lag involved before feeling the benefit.

Regards,
Indalo

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
On my Tonaro, setting off, you keep your feet on the ground, twist the throttle in bottom gear and away you go. Pedal if and when you like.