Help! Ebike on a budget

saul1234

Just Joined
Sep 3, 2021
Hey folks, I'm a student looking to convert my bike to an ebike for my first year of college. Have bought a battery (48v 12ah) but can't seem to find an affordable conversion kit. This is a real budget project so price is the most important thing. Any recommendations would be really appreciated. Thanks!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Don't be tempted by the cheap direct drive kits on ebay, mostly with high specified power. They don't work well except for driving too fast on the flat, and need a much more powerful battery (so they don't even end up cheap).

Do you really need electric? The bike will be even more of a target for thieves, and unless it is a very long or awkward journey or you have some heath issue it is probably unnecessary.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Yose Power is very cheap. I have one and it is great. But their kits are 36V.
They will run very nicely on 48v by changing the controller / display to a KT 36/48v unit.
Probably not a budget option as asked by the OP though!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Buy the motor and controller kit separately, look at the offerings at Topbikekit .com. For 48v opt for a 15 or 17a controller kit, as it will be left at a college theft or damage is likely so for a display opt for the discreet KT lcd4 and use tow good chains/locks to secure both wheel and the frame.