Ebike still legal if I run 36V motor at 48V and limit speed to 15mph?

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
I bet someone will hack one before long. Any measure that gets put in the way will be defeated by hackers eventually.
I don't doubt. But as long as you've got some sort of "certificate of conformity" to wave at the judge, you can get away with anything!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I think there is a degree of confusion here.
It is not the responsibility of the manufacturers of LCDs to lock their LCD.
It's not the responsibility of the kit vendor to prevent his customers breaking the law.
It's not in the EN15194 test specifications that the LCD could not be altered by customers.
When the kit is delivered, it complies with all the norms.
When someone is caught speeding, the bike no longer complies.
So whose fault is it to render the bike non-compliant?

Would you say, it's the LCD manufacturers', or the kit vendor's?
has anyone been done for speeding on a ebike, never. tho bruno in aus got a 50 dollar fine for racing the cars lol.
has anyone had the bike seized for speeding on any ebike never.
has anyone been convicted for killing anyone on a ebike de restricted never.
has any kid had there hover board or escooter ect taken as not road legal never.
do the police enforce this so called law, no
do customs check these kits for uk road use,no

so whats the fkn point got more holes in it than Swiss cheese we are policed by consent we are convicted buy the crown/cps and must be in the public's interest for a conviction.

so be a good little sheep or brake the so called rules it is your choice at the end of the day and you are responsible for your own actions.

DSC_0109_01.JPGDSC_0112.JPG

that broke my ass that did lol. :confused:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I've made this point before. I agree, the law strictly speaking says almost all e-bikes on the market are basically illegal, as it's possible to set them up to go faster than 25 kph. However, the law relating to e-bikes is a total mess, made up by people who don't seem to live in the real world and certainly can't keep up with rapidly changing technology.
there is no real need to change the law as it is.
The person who is caught speeding is the one rightly punished.
If you start looking for someone else to blame, then cars manufacturers for example would have to fit automatic speed control and even if they do that, can still be sued their pants off by greedy lawyers.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
has anyone been done for speeding on a ebike, never. tho bruno in aus got a 50 dollar fine for racing the cars lol.
has anyone had the bike seized for speeding on any ebike never.
has anyone been convicted for killing anyone on a ebike de restricted never.
has any kid had there hover board or escooter ect taken as not road legal never.
do the police enforce this so called law, no
do customs check these kits for uk road use,no

so whats the fkn point got more holes in it than Swiss cheese we are policed by consent we are convicted buy the crown/cps and must be in the public's interest for a conviction.

so be a good little sheep or brake the so called rules it is your choice at the end of the day and you are responsible for your own actions.

View attachment 36484View attachment 36485

that broke my ass that did lol. :confused:
It's those sort of injuries that the EU is trying to protect you from SW! See, none of us can be trusted at anything over 15.5mph!!

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I don't doubt. But as long as you've got some sort of "certificate of conformity" to wave at the judge, you can get away with anything!

And in many cases, that "certificate of conformity" along with sticky labels will be photocopied from some other random piece of kit and stamped on what we buy by some poor guy in a Chinese sweat shop.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't think so.
If you derestrict the bike, you are at fault.
It's nobody else's.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Ouch, hope you are ok!

People have been fined and had their scooters etc confiscated.

Almost 100 people were caught illegally riding electric scooters in London this week as the Metropolitan Police staged its first operation targeting the machines.

The majority of riders received a warning but 10 were fined and had their scooters seized due to aggravating factors such as speeding or breaking red lights.

pmsl ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
As a retailer @Whoosh, does it not concern you that due to the ambiguities we've discussed, some Trading Standards numpty could walk into your shop and declare your bikes illegal simply because it's possible for the end user to adjust the speed restriction. (Highly unlikely I know).

Genuine question BTW!

you keep your warranty with martin @ebike shop even tho bosch says they do not support this and near every ebike dealer will say the same.

go work that one out lol.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
go work that one out lol
He probably makes enough of a margin on the bike and the dongle that he can afford the risk.

Just don't get your firmware updated, whatever you do or you'll be back to snail pace!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Gavin said:
As a retailer @Whoosh, does it not concern you that due to the ambiguities we've discussed, some Trading Standards numpty could walk into your shop and declare your bikes illegal simply because it's possible for the end user to adjust the speed restriction. (Highly unlikely I know).

Genuine question BTW!
I know you deleted this question but it's a good one.
No, I am not concerned about the ambiguity we discussed.
I've said there are proposals to tamperproof the bike's settings and I welcome that. I like to stop derestriction but I also respect people's choices they make for themselves.
As far ad trading Standards are concerned, I have to obey the law like everybody else.

Reactions: flecc and Gavin

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
I know you deleted this question but it's a good one.
No, I am not concerned about the ambiguity we discussed.
I've said there are proposals to tamperproof the bike's settings and I welcome that. I like to stop derestriction but I also respect people's choices they make for themselves.
As far ad trading Standards are concerned, I have to obey the law like everybody else.
Yes, I deleted because (with hindsight) I felt I'd put you in an unfair position as a retailer.

Thanks for answering though- a very interesting insight.

Reactions: flecc and Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
He probably makes enough of a margin on the bike and the dongle that he can afford the risk.

Just don't get your firmware updated, whatever you do or you'll be back to snail pace!
he sends the motors back same as any other dealer all he is interested in is the money why i drove him of this forum long ago ;)

how can this be fair to any other bike dealer?

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
he sends the motors back same as any other dealer all he is interested in is the money why i drove him of this forum long ago ;)

how can this be fair to any other bike dealer?
I wonder if he'd still honour the warranty if Bosch refused to repair the damage because they knew the bike had a dongle in it...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I wonder if he'd still honour the warranty if Bosch refused to repair the damage because they knew the bike had a dongle in it...
This product is only available to customers who purchase their bike direct from us. We do not supply this product to those who have bought their bikes from others. You add it to the basket along with the bike and it will arrive fitted.

you can not buy a dongle on its own only a complete bike no matter what motor you have but ebike shop is the only shop that offers a dongle for the tq motor and will honer the warranty.

bosch ect know they fit dongles as on there web site stating this fact yet one rule for them and another for the rest of the dealers.

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Pumping up to 900w through a 250w motor is not strictly wise and even less so at 1200w. As the inclusion of a motor of no more than 250 Watts (maximum continuous rated power) are to be considered as bicycles and known as EAPCs. Also you may be asked as the builder of said bike with 7a x 36v = 250w why you are using 25a x 48v = 1200w. 4.8 times the rated power?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: vfr400 and Nealh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If you are a law abiding citizen, you will be pleased to know and need to remember that on flat roads, your motor produces about 200W to help you ride at 15mph.
You are not breaking any law regardless the number of Watts on your motor label as long as you don't derestrict your bike.
Even with a fair amount of headwind, your motor does not need to exceed 250W to maintain 15mph.
On hills, you are allowed to exceed the 250W limit momentarily, you must still respect 15mph speed limit.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

vulcanears

Pedelecer
May 23, 2018
Pumping up to 900w through a 250w motor is not strictly legal and even less so at 1200w. As the inclusion of a motor of no more than 250 Watts (maximum continuous rated power) are to be considered as bicycles and known as EAPCs. Also you may be asked as the builder of said bike with 7a x 36v = 250w why you are using 25a x 48v = 1200w. 4.8 times the rated power?
Noone said anything about 1200W or 25A.
I want 5A*48V continuous and 15A*48V peak. So my question is whether or not that would be considered legal, because I'm not increasing the continuous power output.