Ebike to keep up with fast group

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
RobF has hit a very important point to consider.

A crank drive such as a BBS01 should allow a moderately fit person to hang with the faster groups, you can turn the speed limit up above 50 kph (can't remember the exact figure) so if your gearing is right keeping with the group should not be to difficult especially if fitted to a road bike or similar.
It depends upon how much help the op needs, a bit of assist or a lot?

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
Many thanks for your input guys. Plenty to think about. Looks like a higher budget and trusting a Kaulkhoff which I hope won't let me down.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
In case you haven't clocked this you can get Kalkhoff bikes from Germany and save a hell of a lot. 50cycles might also do their best to match these prices.

Reactions: soundwave

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
In case you haven't clocked this you can get Kalkhoff bikes from Germany and save a hell of a lot. 50cycles might also do their best to match these prices.

Interesting, I wasn't aware you could buy outside the agents in the UK. The only issue would be if there were any issues after delivery where to take.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Interesting, I wasn't aware you could buy outside the agents in the UK. The only issue would be if there were any issues after delivery where to take.
It's the dealers in Germany who would sell you one and cannot be prevented from doing that under EU law. The manufacturer won't sell to you direct at all, and their warranty is through the selling dealer, it's not an internationally transferrable one.

I doubt 50cycles would support a German bought bike in the UK, you'd need to return the bike to the German dealer.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
I'm in a similar position to the OP and am wondering if anyone has theft insurance fro an S pedelec?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the replies, I am currently cycling with a friendly group in Stroud, where the pace suits my fitness.

However, wanting to explore more of the beautiful countryside here, another group that exists would be great for this.
I have been warned they are quicker, and not so friendly at waiting for stragglers lol
A mountain bike if chosen, would need to have mudguards as there would be people behind me, and I am 5ft 10ins.
The range can be up to 40 miles, currently average 20 or so which is about the limit on the bike I use now.
Out curiosity, are these riders on drop bar race/audax bikes, touring bikes, or other?

Not trying to be negative with this, but I can't see any drop bar race bike crowd really wanting someone on basically an upright glorified shopping bike tagging along, especially an electrically powered one. You might just wing it with a hybrid style, but judging by the race clubs around here, I very much doubt that even a hybrid style e-bike would be welcome.

Reactions: oldtom
Out curiosity, are these riders on drop bar race/audax bikes, touring bikes, or other?

Not trying to be negative with this, but I can't see any drop bar race bike crowd really wanting someone on basically an upright glorified shopping bike tagging along, especially an electrically powered one. You might just wing it with a hybrid style, but judging by the race clubs around here, I very much doubt that even a hybrid style e-bike would be welcome.
I've ridden with road clubs all over the UK and one thing I can assure the OP of is that... eBikes are frowned upon, by most cycling clubs. Turning up on an illegal de restricted one is bound to cause them even more issues.

Attempting to ride with any club on an illegal eBike that won't be insurable would be a big no no. Most clubs encourage you to have public liability insurance and also require all riders to ride legally when on group rides, ie no jumping lights, riding on pavements etc etc. So I would suspect if you want to ride with any club you are going to need to keep it legal.

You could just ask them before you splash out on a bike that you can't legally use in public in the UK?

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
If the Roadies are anything like the ones in my neck of the woods, you'd be about "as welcome as a fart in a space suit" as Billy Connolly would say!

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I assume he’s checked it out and is welcome. If he’s a long time cyclist and is just too old to keep up anymore I can imagine he would not be shunned. After all a previous winner of the Tour of Britain in the fifties was interviewed when the Tour de France started here a couple of years ago, and he still went out with his local club on his pedelec in his mid seventies. According to BBC TV reports anyway. Although how often he did I wondered from looking at him because he looked an old mid seventies to me.

The point about club insurance for non legally compliant bikes is probably valid though.

Reactions: flecc and oldtom

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
The group is friendly, but fairly fit; average age is 50-60. But they have a range of 30 miles and over and the pace is quick particuarly on the flat.

Hills are not an issue with an electric bike, but the weight comes into play on the flat.
A light Ebike which is quick on the hills and of a durable build is not a cheap option hence I am looking carefullly.

Brian Robinson, is probably the guy you're talking about. He's from Huddersfield and regularly rides with the clubs round here. He has an eBike, its a mountain bike style and he is a big part of the cycling scene around here. We're hopefully going to get him on a new KTM because his current ebike is pretty old.

However if he turned up on an illegal eBike ... it would be a very different story, I'm sure.

he also rides with the groups who average 15mph. If he came out with the fast lads he'd be fine on the hills because even a very unfit rider on an eBike is better than a super fit person on a normal bike. But on the flat we skip along at 25-30mph so no one stands a chance on a legal eBike.

Reactions: oldtom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer

I assume he’s checked it out and is welcome. If he’s a long time cyclist and is just too old to keep up anymore I can imagine he would not be shunned. After all a previous winner of the Tour of Britain in the fifties was interviewed when the Tour de France started here a couple of years ago, and he still went out with his local club on his pedelec in his mid seventies. According to BBC TV reports anyway. Although how often he did I wondered from looking at him because he looked an old mid seventies to me.

The point about club insurance for non legally compliant bikes is probably valid though.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Right from the original post, I felt uncomfortable with the proposition that someone requiring an electrically assisted bike would wish to accompany a group of manually-propelled cyclists on lengthy trips - and be welcomed by the group.

Realistically, this isn't achievable on any legal EAPC if the group bears any resemblance to those in my area. The whole premise seems at odds with the ethos of EAPCs.

Tom

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hills are not an issue with an electric bike, but the weight comes into play on the flat.
A light Ebike which is quick on the hills and of a durable build is not a cheap option hence I am looking carefullly.
You can build yourself a lightweight bike like mine (16kgs), Giant Defy 5 (£300, 10.2kgs) + Woosh Karoo parts (about £500, 5.8kgs) or get a woosh Karoo for about the same money.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?karoo

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If he’s a long time cyclist and is just too old to keep up anymore I can imagine he would not be shunned. After all a previous winner of the Tour of Britain in the fifties was interviewed when the Tour de France started here a couple of years ago, and he still went out with his local club on his pedelec in his mid seventies.
Another club also made welcome an elderly rider on a powered recumbent trike, and an article about him was published, I think in Velovision. Even when he finally couldn't keep up when in his early 90s he was still able to join them at a favourite stop point.

They certainly aren't all hostile to e-bikes, I've had plenty of friendly interest from the clubs riding in the North Downs, and it's the most serious riders like the professionals who are the most friendly. The worst for "nose in the air" hostility are the weekend wannabees.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Even if made welcome, the OP will have a problem staying within the peloton.

They will be faster on the flat and downhills, but much slower up hill.

The wide speed range will present a safety hazard if they ride close.

It could be done by keeping clear of the group, but that rather defeats the object of riding with them.

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
John - have you looked at http://www.cytronex.com? They put a lightweight system on sports bikes. I think the motor wheel can be swapped out for an unpowered wheel fairly easily if you want to ride normally eg on a flat ride.

If you like the idea of the lightweight approach, but want to do it yourself, then Trex has done a very neat conversion.

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
John - have you looked at http://www.cytronex.com? They put a lightweight system on sports bikes. I think the motor wheel can be swapped out for an unpowered wheel fairly easily if you want to ride normally eg on a flat ride.

If you like the idea of the lightweight approach, but want to do it yourself, then Trex has done a very neat conversion.
Range is very limited due to 4 amp battery. But lightweight. Just wish a larger battery was supplied then a very serious consideration.