Ebike wheel wont stay on

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Still not safe without Torque arms fitted, one each side. The tabbed washers are just for hub location/orientation, similar to those that are fitted to hub gears like alfine.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The middle photo shows that your tab washer isn't even in the slot. I'd say that there's no chance of that wheel staying in.

Cam3roon2k41999

Pedelecer
May 1, 2020
Your all right I've just put my battery on and give it the littlest amount of throttle possible on level 2 and wheel just popped straight out lmao need a new bike

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
need a new bike
Some cheapo ridged bikes are steel frames, sneak a magnet into you local bike shop or ask a for a steel frame, HOWEVER as mentioned above two t-arms well secured would still be a must even if you do limit the speed.

Or as you mentioned get a geared hub motor, better of the mark acceleration and can be surprisingly quick at top speed. Personally my mate just purchased a 500w geared and I think he regrets it, way to fast at full pelt, I can't see why these kits come with 22a controllers and LCD's that aren't equipped with amp reduction. He will have to KTy it up for that function.

Reactions: harrys

Cam3roon2k41999

Pedelecer
May 1, 2020
I've been told to get something along the lines of a trek marlin 5 for my motor as the dropouts are bigger and stronger will my motor be fine with a trek marlin 5 with tourqe arms either side and a bit of locktits on the main nuts?

• :D
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Looks quite good that
Yer nice but 20-30 miles

I can recommend watching more of his content, he knows his stuff about ebikes and covers almost every topic, from battery building to watts, volts and amps. Last time I looked he was a bit sketchy on torque arms commented to that effect.

Cam3roon2k41999

Pedelecer
May 1, 2020
Just got myself a Apollo Gradient bike, only paid £20 for it lol so I installed my 3000w kit with 1 tourqe arm just waiting for my other tourqe arm to come had a easy ride earlier seems to be working fine apart from the cassette is jammed on the frame so can't pedal? Any ideas on how to stop it jamming

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Put a spacer washer in.

I just have to say that what you're doing is not OK. The engineering and you're apparent knowledge of it, is suspect. This is creating a danger to you and possibly others. The motor, even at a glance, is obviously illegal and the backlash to this kind of thing, that seems to be getting more common, could be more stringent regulation of e-bikes in general.
You could achieve similar speeds (still illegal but not as obvious) with a legal geared hub. It would be far more efficient so strain your battery less helping it to go further and have a longer life.
Not going to enter into a debate on this, just stating a position.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scorpio

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Just got myself a Apollo Gradient bike, only paid £20 for it lol so I installed my 3000w kit with 1 tourqe arm just waiting for my other tourqe arm to come had a easy ride earlier seems to be working fine apart from the cassette is jammed on the frame so can't pedal? Any ideas on how to stop it jamming
You need a washer that's 14mm inside diameter and 20mm outside. You'll probably need to grind down or file a standard 14mm washer because that size is non-standard.

Cam3roon2k41999

Pedelecer
May 1, 2020
I've put my motor on my apollo gradient and the outside of the dropout is jamming on the axle of the motor so I have installed my tourqe arm on that side and loosend the nut a little bit now it's not jamming will it be OK to ride or will my wheel fall off again

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Quite some years ago I was getting out of my car at my local supermarket. right in front of me I saw two ladies walking towards the store, there was a metal frame like an inverted U with a disabled parking sign across it, the lower edge was about 4 foot off the ground. One lady walked to the side of the sign while the other without thinking intended walking between the uprights. Needless to say she face planted the sign with a loud clang, initially I felt sorry for her until I heard her say to her friend “I did that last week as well “
Its strange how modern events can trigger old memories ;)

• :D
Reactions: PC2017

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've put my motor on my apollo gradient and the outside of the dropout is jamming on the axle of the motor so I have installed my tourqe arm on that side and loosend the nut a little bit now it's not jamming will it be OK to ride or will my wheel fall off again
The axle is meant to nbe jammed in the drop-outs! That's what you didn't have before and is why the wheel came out.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The hub axle has to be stationary held tightly in the jaws of the drop out, the TA is to stop the axle twisting under torque in the soft aluminium. If after tightening the axle nut against the TA the hub binds then you need to sort out the spacing with washers on the inside of the drop out to the cassette or freewheel gears, the washer has to be of a size that it doesn't foul the gears from rotating.