Ebikes and exercise goals ? Really ?

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
The Mail Online has an article on a German Study of 2,000 Cyclists that suggests that Ebikes won`t help you hit exercise goals . It goes on to claim that Ebikers were 50% less likely to hit weekly exercise targets than normal cyclists . These so called Experts found that Ebikes were 63% more likely to suffer an accident in a year . They do admit that Ebikes could benefit people who might not normally cycle like the obese or elderly .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Mail Online has an article on a German Study of 2,000 Cyclists that suggests that Ebikes won`t help you hit exercise goals . It goes on to claim that Ebikers were 50% less likely to hit weekly exercise targets than normal cyclists . These so called Experts found that Ebikes were 63% more likely to suffer an accident in a year . They do admit that Ebikes could benefit people who might not normally cycle like the obese or elderly .
Their key word is cyclists I think, since this very much lines up with my experience. As a keen cyclist riding up to 5000 miles a year I was very fit, though age at almost 70 was beginning to take its toll.

Adopting an e-bike to help with that actually made things worse, since having the "lazy" option of the assistance speeded up the loss of cycling fitness. So much so that three years later I upgraded to more powerful e-bikes, which again accelerated loss of cycling fitness. Of course being in a hilly area didn't help.

With hindsight it would have been better if I'd resisted the temptation to buy an e-bike when I did and stayed unassisted for as long as possible.

Reactions: flash

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I guess it all very much depends on the ebike and how it's used? I've programmed my bike to expressly avoid my ever getting any exercise whatsoever, and that's the way my old damaged knees prefer. I slow jog for actual exercise. However despite my best efforts, my legs have become stronger over the past couple of legal pedelecing years...

Reactions: RichLarry

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Without further details how can you know how meaningful the apparent statistics actually are.

For instance how many of the 'Ebikers' refered to would be going out on a standard cycle if they did not have an ebike ?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Well , yes. When I moved to Wales, around 20 years ago, my cycling just about stopped. Never been a strong cyclist and the hills round here were a killer. So getting an e-bike actually increased my cycling - vastly. Having a legal front hub means there are hills where I have to work hard, but I don't avoid them. I get up hills I would think twice about walking up.
So fitness has increased.
I'm less likely to have an accident than most of the roadies I see around here 'cos I wear a bright yellow jacket and don't have my spine parrallel to the road.

RichLarry

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
I sold my car 6 weeks ago and went back to e-biking. Have covered 1600 miles. Have lost 3/4 stone in weight, now 14 stone exactly. You can get fit on an E-Bike, and you can lose weight - especially if it stops you pulling into the garage on the way home and buying that pork pie. I try riding at 17 - 18 mph on the flats and that takes a good effort on a 30kg bike with me on it. It's all about where you start from and your mindset when on the bike

RichLarry

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
Without further details how can you know how meaningful the apparent statistics actually are.

For instance how many of the 'Ebikers' refered to would be going out on a standard cycle if they did not have an ebike ?

I am only guessing but I would say not many !

RichLarry

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
Why is it just about exercise goals - what they should have said is thank you to those 2000 cyclists who are not polluting the planet by reducing car usage.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why indeed.

Maybe the authors of the 'survey' are anti-eBike ?
I dont think so, cycling levels are very high in Germany, far higher than here. I believe they are referring to those who already cycled and switched to an e-bike, which as I showed in my post above can ruin cycling fitness.

I see the main benefit of e-bikes is in tempting those who don't cycle to take it up.

• Agree
Reactions: trevor brooker

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I started to read this article then saw the words Mail Online and immediately thought 'here comes a load of cr*p' and moved on to something more exciting like watching the grass grow.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimod and esuark

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do you know that for fact ?
The answer is in my sentence that you quoted, "I believe---".

And the justification for that belief is also in my post, Germany has a very much higher rate of cycling than we have here in Britain, being Europe's number 2 cycling nation. That also carries over into e-biking, Germans buy some half million pedelecs a year, about ten times our sales with just 24% larger population.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
So not a fact then, just a 'belief' (or opinion, albeit a well informed one)?

Hey, there's me rising to the bait on an article by that trash newspaper - sorry!

Reactions: flecc

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
Their key word is cyclists I think, since this very much lines up with my experience. As a keen cyclist riding up to 5000 miles a year I was very fit, though age at almost 70 was beginning to take its toll.

Adopting an e-bike to help with that actually made things worse, since having the "lazy" option of the assistance speeded up the loss of cycling fitness. So much so that three years later I upgraded to more powerful e-bikes, which again accelerated loss of cycling fitness. Of course being in a hilly area didn't help.

With hindsight it would have been better if I'd resisted the temptation to buy an e-bike when I did and stayed unassisted for as long as possible.
Totally agree. And with the best will in the world and many attempts to return my fitness to pre-ebike days by returning to human power I have failed every time. The lure of the Ebike soon calls me back.

Reactions: flecc

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Horses for courses as they say - I went to an ebike because in the latter years when on my unassisted bike I was working my heart too hard (the cardiologists view, not mine but demonstrated unequivocally by my recent experiences of kicking my heart out of rhythm 6 times in the past 4 years after hard 120K rides, leading to the need for medical intervention).

So the ebike came to the rescue - but the point is this - prior to the ebike I cycled mainly for exercise with the secondary benefit of enjoying the journeys. Now the pendulum has tipped the other was in that the primary goal of cycling is to enjoy the journey first - I'm still keeping fit but not as athletically fit as before which for me is the correct thing to be doing.

So yes, with an ebike I don't hit the same exercise goals as before which is just as well as I'd probably be dead from heart failure.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Horses for courses as they say - I went to an ebike because in the latter years when on my unassisted bike I was working my heart too hard (the cardiologists view, not mine but demonstrated unequivocally by my recent experiences of kicking my heart out of rhythm 6 times in the past 4 years after hard 120K rides, leading to the need for medical intervention).

So the ebike came to the rescue - but the point is this - prior to the ebike I cycled mainly for exercise with the secondary benefit of enjoying the journeys. Now the pendulum has tipped the other was in that the primary goal of cycling is to enjoy the journey first - I'm still keeping fit but not as athletically fit as before which for me is the correct thing to be doing.

So yes, with an ebike I don't hit the same exercise goals as before which is just as well as I'd probably be dead from heart failure.
Very much my heart situation, though mine now in my late eighties is much further on, to the point where I now cannot cycle at all without triggering the same heart problem, even with e-assistance. My exercise now has to be limited to walking, and that now only in favourable circumstances, only on the flat or very shallow inclines with stops to rest, preferably seated.

Even with that care I still suffer the odd attack, one bad one three weeks ago in September while out walking.

Reactions: Bikes4two

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
I live in a hilly area. My village is @ 450'amsl. I'm past 60 and using any excuse to NOT use my unassisted bike!
The Ebike changed all that. In the beginning (about 3 months of riding), I noticed I wasn't working up too much of a sweat.
So I invested in a heart monitor and an App from Decathlon Coach.
I punched in all the required parameters and then cycled with the App showing a band from blue to red advertising my effort. Green in the middle meant I was working efficiently and gaining fitness. Blue meant I was cruising/sightseeing! Red meant my heart was overdoing it. It has transformed my regime towards Ebike cycling since.
I now purposely cruise above the 15mph cut off limit for assistance which means it is me and me alone propelling 23Kg, which certainly boosts my aerobic performance.
Best think I ever did: Ebike and monitor/App.
Z