Ebikes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fortunately I not one of the confined yet until the virus gets me , I can still get out and enjoy driving and delivering. Also I e-pushbike to work and use it to deliver groceries to my wife as a she is the full time carer for her soon to be 95 y/o gran and now her 70 y/o mum who is now confined having broken some bones in her lower back.
Not to mention my other e -pushbike use for livestock transportation within 2km of my house.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
I didn't know Bobajob could shriek in German!! Maybe he got it off some old Hitler films...?

WOW!!
it you that’s showing yourself up I think the rest here realise who’s the childish idiot and that’s you!!
One certain bull **** you’ve come out with us that you served in the navy, you did not serve I’m convinced as no military man would behave in such a childish and ridiculous manner as yourself.
you are without a doubt a keyboard bully, a bully that if standing in front of the person you’re trying to bully would refrain I’m convinced, as usually they are spineless aswell.
I asked for nothing from you, you are a pathetic little tick are you not?
Now why don’t you grow up and get on with your make believe life!

• Dislike
Reactions: ebiker99

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Fortunately I not one of the confined yet until the virus gets me , I can still get out and enjoy driving and delivering. Also I e-pushbike to work and use it to deliver groceries to my wife as a she is the full time carer for her soon to be 95 y/o gran and now her 70 y/o mum who is now confined having broken some bones in her lower back.
Not to mention my other e -pushbike use for livestock transportation within 2km of my house.
I take my hat off to you sir. You both have a difficult time. You keep apart from your wife seeing see is caring?
that must be difficult ?
One question I might have this wrong you have an ebike to transport livestock?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I didn't type the sentence very well Bob, I should have said I use the bike to visit and check the livestock.
My live stock are honey bees Bob.
I have seven colonies, my transport locally is 95 - 99% my bike and a Carryfreedom flat base trailer. The hives are static ones, the bike combo is used to carry the various bits of equipment to and from the apiaries to allow colonies to expand/contract during the year as well as transporting the heavy honey supers later in the year. Also carrying my paraphernalia I needed on each visit usually every seven days once the weather turns better from now on.
Latest Govt/Defra advice is that colony husbandry must be kept up and they mustn't be left unchecked which is one thing beeks won't do. Honeybees suffer from disease and pests which are notifiable so are so defined as livestock.

Some days I get out on my bike 3 or 4 times a day as it is my main transport mode and all but the leisure ride I have a valid reason to be out.

I e- pushbike once or twice a week with bike and trailer to deliver the groceries she asks for to the door step and at the same time check out the bees there as well. I usually stay all day to help out and for a nice roast lunch but curtailed that for now as I come into contact with the public to much during my work.
Like a lot of peeps my cars mot runs out soon and no way of getting it serviced or Mot'd so will refrain from using it although govt/DVLA have said we can use them if they are generally road worthy for an initial six month period until they can be tested, the issue is will the insurance bod's play ball in the event of a claim.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
I didn't type the sentence very well Bob, I should have said I use the bike to visit and check the livestock.
I have seven colonies, my transport locally is 95 - 99% my bike and a Carryfreedom flat base trailer. The hives are static ones, the bike combo is used to carry the various bits of equipment to and from the apiaries to allow colonies to expand/contract during the year as well as transporting the heavy honey supers later in the year. Also carrying my paraphernalia I needed on each visit usually every seven days once the weather turns better from now on.
Latest Govt/Defra advice is that colony husbandry must be kept up and they mustn't be left unchecked which is one thing beeks won't do. Honeybees suffer from disease and pests which are notifiable so are so defined as livestock.

Some days I get out on my bike 3 or 4 times a day as it is my main transport mode and all but the leisure ride I have a valid reason to be out.

I e- pushbike once or twice a week with bike and trailer to deliver the groceries she asks for to the door step and at the same time check out the bees there as well. I usually stay all day to help out and for a nice roast lunch but curtailed that for now as I come into contact with the public to much during my work.
Like a lot of peeps my cars mot runs out soon and no way of getting it serviced or Mot'd so will refrain from using it although govt/DVLA have said we can use them if they are generally road worthy for an initial six month period until they can be tested, the issue is will the insurance bod's play ball in the event of a claim.
neil
Don’t worry about the sentence I’ve been accused of that also lol but won’t go into that here.
I did wonder though and had visions of possible calf’s or pigs transported via a trailer.
my wife’s cousin is also maintaining his bees but from about 12miles away on his bee plot.
With all this lockdown our honey will have dried up seeing we’re not allowed to pick it up.
You’ll certainly be fitter by the end of this catastrophe.
Im doing about 30miles a day on average but am wondering is that permissible? it’s my fitness (alongside other routines I do at home) so I presume until a time limit is placed on exercise outdoors then I will be allowed to continue.
I know one thing my wife is getting all the jobs done that I’d neglected/put off for years and even inventing more for the list.

luckilyenough we can remain at home the only elderly relative left is my MIL who taken care of by my BIL.
Good on you neil. Stay safe

Last edited:

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
If your MOT is due on or after Monday 30th March 2020 then the expiry will be automatically extended by 6 months. This means that your car will have a valid MOT & there is nothing for the insurance company to quibble over.

The MOT on one of my cars was due to expire on 4th April so I took it in for an MOT last week on the day the DVLA announced the 6 month extension. I suppose that as it is still due to expire after 30th March 2020 as it now expires 4th April 2021 it should automatically be extended to October 2021.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and ebiker99

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
15th April mine expires, my garage is closed.

Started raking out my rear house wall westerly facing today, the mortar is soft and porous, picked up a borrowed 6' x 4' 18 ft scaffold tower on Thursday and can keep hold of it for as long as I need it. A long with my other jobs and duties I won't have much free time if the weather stays dry. The tower will esp come in handy for when I tackle the concrete gutters, once I have prepped them repointed the joints I'm going to fibre glass in them.

Any time spent outdoors is better then being cooped up on my free days.
Also sitting in the living/front room is my Roadrat frame that needs building up all I'm missing is the hub motor from TBK, spokes have arrived to rebuild the Alfine in to a 700c rim, new cranks, spider and rings have turned up as well as has a new fork and Mike handle bars.

Last edited:

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
If your MOT is due on or after Monday 30th March 2020 then the expiry will be automatically extended by 6 months. This means that your car will have a valid MOT & there is nothing for the insurance company to quibble over.

The MOT on one of my cars was due to expire on 4th April so I took it in for an MOT last week on the day the DVLA announced the 6 month extension. I suppose that as it is still due to expire after 30th March 2020 as it now expires 4th April 2021 it should automatically be extended to October 2021.

Unfortunately your current MOT will expire on April 4th 2021. The current extension of 6 months, which hopefully can be withdrawn if the virus is under control, ends September 30th 2020. If MOT expires August 30th 2020 , and this extension is still operating, you only have a 1 month extension. If you manage to find a garage open and willing to carry out an MOT during this extension it is not valid for 18 months but the usual 12 months. Cheers.

Last edited:

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall

neil

Couple of questions I forgot to ask was how much honey would you expect from 7 colonies.
do you feed them during the winter?
Overall time it takes to keep them healthy and thriving?

bob

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Unfortunately your current MOT will expire on April 4th 2021. The current extension of 6 months, which hopefully can be withdrawn if the virus is under control, ends September 30th 2020. If MOT expires August 30th 2020 , and this extension is still operating, you only have a 1 month extension. If you manage to find a garage open and willing to carry out an MOT during this extension it is not valid for 18 months but the usual 12 months. Cheers.
It might be sensible to have a sunset clause but that isn't what it says on the page I linked to. The extension is for 6 months from the date your MOT is due if it's due after 30th March 2020 not just extended to 30th September 2020. It specifically gives the example that if your MOT expires on 3rd April 2020 then it is automatically extended to 3rd October 2020 (beyond the 30th September 2020 end date you claimed.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
neil

Couple of questions I forgot to ask was how much honey would you expect from 7 colonies.
do you feed them during the winter?
Overall time it takes to keep them healthy and thriving?

bob
Hard to say depends so much on the weather as no two years are the same, as they are static they vary from year to year. Not all are honey production colonies as they may be swarms or splits made to prevent swarming.
I can only generalise as for me I don't need to make a living out of them 40lbs - 100lbs is usaually the harvest I can expect or 300 - 500lbs p.a.
Some beeks move their colonies to different crops and can get about 250lbs a colony, like Lavender, Borage, Phacelia, OSR, Heather.

No feed during winter I leave them with 15 - 25lbs of stores after Autumn and wait for the Ivy to flower which can bring in another 10 -15lbs or more by early Dec if mild. occasionally I top up any shortfall with sugar syrup in early October to supplement them. During the year a colony will collect approx. 250 - 300lbs of nectar just for survival and the feeding of the brood reared.

40 - 80k of bees at any one time will be present in the hive, most excess nectar is collected mid late June to early August. Each day hundreds thousands of summer bees die/expire as there short life span is only 6 weeks from Feb to Aug , the queen in full flow will lay up 1000 - 2000 eggs a day and a new bee emerges from it's cell after 21 days. Then after Aug winter bees are raised to bring the colony through the dark & cold months.

My routine is a seven day inspection routine though it can be six to nine depending on weather, initially when colonies are still building up about 10mins . Later on end of May/June onwards for a thorough going thru 20 - 30mins once a colony is about 4' - 6' tall. Main work is to inspect the colony for space to expand, swarm checking, disease checking and stores quantity. The main husbandry year has already began and it will continue till early late Oct or early Nov with various tasks of disease/pest treatment, store checking.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Hard to say depends so much on the weather as no two years are the same, as they are static they vary from year to year. Not all are honey production colonies as they may be swarms or splits made to prevent swarming.
I can only generalise as for me I don't need to make a living out of them 40lbs - 100lbs is usaually the harvest I can expect or 300 - 500lbs p.a.
Some beeks move their colonies to different crops and can get about 250lbs a colony, like Lavender, Borage, Phacelia, OSR, Heather.

No feed during winter I leave them with 15 - 25lbs of stores after Autumn and wait for the Ivy to flower which can bring in another 10 -15lbs or more by early Dec if mild. occasionally I top up any shortfall with sugar syrup in early October to supplement them. During the year a colony will collect approx. 250 - 300lbs of nectar just for survival and the feeding of the brood reared.

40 - 80k of bees at any one time will be present in the hive, most excess nectar is collected mid late June to early August. Each day hundreds thousands of summer bees die/expire as there short life span is only 6 weeks from Feb to Aug , the queen in full flow will lay up 1000 - 2000 eggs a day and a new bee emerges from it's cell after 21 days. Then after Aug winter bees are raised to bring the colony through the dark & cold months.

My routine is a seven day inspection routine though it can be six to nine depending on weather, initially when colonies are still building up about 10mins . Later on end of May/June onwards for a thorough going thru 20 - 30mins once a colony is about 4' - 6' tall. Main work is to inspect the colony for space to expand, swarm checking, disease checking and stores quantity. The main husbandry year has already began and it will continue till early late Oct or early Nov with various tasks of disease/pest treatment, store checking.
Thanks for that neil
Certainly educated me on the amount you can produce etc., etc.
is it expensive to start up as I’m thinking now of just one colony (problems there?) as my neighbour is very self sufficient aswell so when I’m away he would look after them etc. , if he has a company then the husbandry could be shared.
Bob

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks for that neil
Certainly educated me on the amount you can produce etc., etc.
is it expensive to start up as I’m thinking now of just one colony (problems there?) as my neighbour is very self sufficient aswell so when I’m away he would look after them etc. , if he has a company then the husbandry could be shared.
Bob
I have PM'd you to save going off track to much on the thread.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
I really can’t see any reason for this type of ridicule , we’re not children - or are we?
Why not just pack it in and be sensible - or if that’s not possible Quit the Thread - or THE FORUM?

Jim