EBMA files an anti dumping complaint on chinese e-bikes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Interestingly we have recently discovered that we can have bikes built in Portugal cheaper than in China, so the EBMA's Machiavellian plans may all be in vain!
current Portuguese price may go up if the Commision imposes anti dumping duty on some key components like frames and fully built motor wheels.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
current Portuguese price may go up if the Commision imposes anti dumping duty on some key components like frames and fully built motor wheels.
I agree, circumvention is the next battle, although this may be more tricky with many EBMA members buying components from China, and Bosch motor components being made in China. You are right though, they will certainly go for motor wheels as there is a definite move to limit motor choices to centre motor only.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
While I hate this protectionism and hope it will ultimately fail, as ever this cloud if it comes to pass has a silver lining.

One thing that has held back e-bike development is where the motor goes, front wheel, back wheel, crank unit, friction drive onto tyre, downtube, elsewhere with separate drive like the Swizzbee, crank generator feeding current to a wheel motor or any other crackpot idea someone dreams up.

It's meant development effort and finance has been fragmented in many different ways. Worse still is the confusion it causes potential customers which we see in here so often, I'm sure sometimes sufficiently offputting for the idea of purchase to be dropped.

At least if this does result in one method, the development gains resulting from parallel competition will result in a better, more consistent and reliable consumer product, better understood by the cycle trade and the general public.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
One thing that has held back e-bike development is where the motor goes, front wheel, back wheel, crank unit, friction drive onto tyre, downtube, elsewhere with separate drive like the Swizzbee or any other crackpot idea someone dreams up.
made worse by the likes of kickstarter.
Look around in the last 10 years: there are few and far in between genuine innovations. I challenge anyone to name 3. Small projects tend to be 80% marketing, 20% new ideas and some are downright stupid ideas.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
As you say Tony, every cloud does have a silver lining. We have looked at manufacturing in Portugal and there doesn't seem to be any benefit. What we are considering, even if we win the case, is to start making bikes here in Kent. This means they will be about £100 retail more expensive.

The upside is that we will be able to build bikes to order, much like the RM model. Customers will able to chose one of six colours in all our frames, then go on to specify their own bike. Choosing, colour, forks, seat post, saddle, battery size, torque sensor or cadence sensor, tyres etc. We will start next month building our folding bikes here and see where it goes from there. Maybe the silver lining is that we start building bikes again here in the UK?

Of course there is still Brexit to put a fly in the ointment!

All the best, David

Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Maybe the silver lining is that we start building bikes again here in the UK?
I believe there is scope for someone like d8veh to start an OEM assembly and fulfillment service that is brand neutral, leaving the brands to do R&D, marketing and support.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Maybe some mileage in that, our next three containers are on the water now in component form so the next batch of folders will be built in Kent. Let's see how it goes. It takes a lot of organising and we have taken on two new bike builder employees.

• Informative

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
As you say Tony, every cloud does have a silver lining. We have looked at manufacturing in Portugal and there doesn't seem to be any benefit. What we are considering, even if we win the case, is to start making bikes here in Kent. This means they will be about £100 retail more expensive.

The upside is that we will be able to build bikes to order, much like the RM model. Customers will able to chose one of six colours in all our frames, then go on to specify their own bike. Choosing, colour, forks, seat post, saddle, battery size, torque sensor or cadence sensor, tyres etc. We will start next month building our folding bikes here and see where it goes from there. Maybe the silver lining is that we start building bikes again here in the UK?

Of course there is still Brexit to put a fly in the ointment!

All the best, David
David.....Don't worry about Brexit, by the time it happens Boris will be in charge, hehe !!!!!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Did I read ADT proposal is 189%....????
KudosDave
I was told by one of my suppliers yesterday that anti-dumping registration is set on 20-July. It will cause a lot of disruption right in the middle of the hot season.
Basically, I can't place any new orders until the ADD is determined, there won't be any new arrivals between September to December.
One thing for certain, prices will go up very shortly as soon as the additional cost is known.
The EU needs money, anti-dumping duty goes straight to the EU coffers as 'own resource'. Draw your conclusion.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes
The EU needs money, anti-dumping duty goes straight to the EU coffers as 'own resource'. Draw your conclusion.
Really... you think the EU collects the duty? You don't think its collected by the nation states, in this country lets maybe call it something like HMRC? When you pay the duty you pay currently who do you pay it to?

Edit... just to be clear I was being sarcastic. I'd better post the correct information.

Of course its not collected by or even paid to the EU.

"The duties are paid by the importer in the EU and collected by the national customs authorities of the EU countries concerned."

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/tradehelp/antidumping

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Colin, you have not read EU financial reports.
Check the EU's 'own resource'.
Duty is collected by local governments on behalf of the EU and remitted to the EU after deduction of their reasonable administration cost (currently 20%).

Colin, you have not read EU financial reports.
Check the EU's 'own resource'.
Duty is collected by local governments on behalf of the EU and remitted to the EU after deduction of their reasonable administration cost (currently 20%).
So... as I've pointed out.

The EU needs money, anti-dumping duty goes straight to the EU coffers
your statement is wrong

and your suspicion that they are imposing the duty because they need the cash, is I suspect a little bit paranoid.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I was told by one of my suppliers yesterday that anti-dumping registration is set on 20-July. It will cause a lot of disruption right in the middle of the hot season.
Basically, I can't place any new orders until the ADD is determined, there won't be any new arrivals between September to December.
One thing for certain, prices will go up very shortly as soon as the additional cost is known.
Ironically it's a very busy time for Kudos e bike sales. Customers who know about the possible ADT are buying up our current stock to avoid the possible price increases post duty.
After ADT who knows?
The real hurt is the possibility of imposing the duty 3 months retrospective, that is cruel.
KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Of course its not collected by or even paid to the EU.
May be you should go to Specsavers.

Direct from the EU website:

http://ec.europa.eu/budget/mff/resources/index_en.cfm

Three types of own resources:

• Traditional own resources: consist mainly of customs duties on imports from outside the EU and sugar levies. EU Member States keep 20 % of the amounts as collection costs.
  • Own resources based on value added tax (VAT): a uniform rate of 0.3 % is levied on the harmonised VAT base of each Member States.
  • Own resources based on GNI: each Member State transfers a standard percentage of its GNI to the EU. Although designed simply to cover the balance of total expenditure not covered by the other own resources, this system has become the largest source of revenue of the EU budget.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The real hurt is the possibility of imposing the duty 3 months retrospective, that is cruel.
We will put our prices up by the amount of provisional ADD as soon as we are notified by Customs & Excise. That's supposed to be 20-July.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Be careful. Registration of e-bikes has already started, as of 1st May 2018. If they wish the EU can back date all charges to that date. Any bikes coming into Europe from China between 1st May and 20th July could well be liable for retrospective ADT.

Some European countries are already charging a 194% deposit. On all e-bikes as they arrive. Yes a deposit of £194,000 on a £100,000 container. Oh and this is charged on the 6% duty too!

This is very serious.

We are still fighting.

Although the European Ebike Importers Collective numbers are growing, we still need help from interested parties!

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh
May be you should go to Specsavers.

Direct from the EU website:

http://ec.europa.eu/budget/mff/resources/index_en.cfm

Three types of own resources:

• Traditional own resources: consist mainly of customs duties on imports from outside the EU and sugar levies. EU Member States keep 20 % of the amounts as collection costs.
  • Own resources based on value added tax (VAT): a uniform rate of 0.3 % is levied on the harmonised VAT base of each Member States.
  • Own resources based on GNI: each Member State transfers a standard percentage of its GNI to the EU. Although designed simply to cover the balance of total expenditure not covered by the other own resources, this system has become the largest source of revenue of the EU budget.
You said it went straight to the EU... no mention of the Nation States collecting from it, and benefiting from it. You made out the EU was doing it because it needed the cash. It was these points I was attempting to correct you on.