EBMA files an anti dumping complaint on chinese e-bikes.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
But,but,but,
The EU is a totally democratic organisation, all you need to do is complain to your MEP.
That's brilliant news, I'm off the see Richard Ashworth later today.....

Or not.....

The South East England Conservative MEP Richard Ashworth has been suspended from the party after supporting a vote in Strasbourg saying not enough progress had been made in the Brexit negotiations.

:rolleyes:

Ho hum!

David

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Corruption has no bounds for the Euro crooks, they will pass any law as long as it in favour of lining their pockets.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The battle has been lost... http://www.idealeurope.pl/ the Chinese will open factories where ever they need to get around tariffs.

Honest question... did you not see this coming?

The EU have been charging this on normal bikes for years.

Its meant that all the big bike brands, Trek etc have assembly factories in the EU. They bring frames & parts in from the far east and build them here.

I'm sure the same will happen with eBikes won't it? You'll just have to build the bikes in Europe won't you?

• Agree
Reactions: Kudoscycles

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Kits could be affected if the anti dumping tariff covers components only such as motors, batteries and frames etc as expected.

It’s not the end of the world, we have built our bikes in Germany before now, they just were not as good as the Chinese models. We are all busy making contingency plans. It’s all a bit of a nuisance!

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Good point, I wonder if we could get away with importing the electric bikes at 6% and separating the batteries on the commercial invoice to pay 2.7%? Has anyone tried this?

It does bring the consequences of double taxation into sharp relief though. I wonder how many people realise they are paying VAT on Duty, tax on tax! With VAT at 20% and Duty at 6% that means people buying an ebike are paying an additional 27.2% in tax on the retail price? That equates to £384.69 on a 705Torque with 575Wh battery, if only we made the same as the Government does on our bikes!
Why are you surprised at this? You've been doing the same every time you fill up your car. Firstly fuel tax is put onto fuel then vat is applied to the lot.

I bought my wife a ring in South Africa this year. Like a mug I declared it to customs. They applied vat to the whole price including the SA sales tax. Not impressed.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Quote of the decade there.
But that is what protectionism does to your industry, it stagnates and loses its cutting edge.
That's not really fair....us importers from China have continually updated our e-bikes,without much increase in prices,despite the dramatic fall in the value of the pound v US dollar.
Look at the difference in weight and technology over 5 years.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Quote of the decade there.
But that is what protectionism does to your industry, it stagnates and loses its cutting edge.
I agree Mike, losing China will certainly damage the industry. The European manufacturers simply don’t like the competition. The Chinese built and expanded the market now the European manufacturers want it for themselves.

Here is one remainer rapidly turning into a leaver!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
That's not really fair....us importers from China have continually updated our e-bikes,without much increase in prices,despite the dramatic fall in the value of the pound v US dollar.
Look at the difference in weight and technology over 5 years.
KudosDave
I think that’s the point Mike is making?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/brands/gain-road/

European. Made by blokes and women in Spain. And it isn't even expensive! Their "living" minimum wage is about the same as your UK one. Why can't you make bikes like that in the UK?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

European. Made by blokes and women in Spain. And it isn't even expensive! Their "living" minimum wage is about the same as your UK one. Why can't you make bikes like that in the UK?
We like our 'knowledge economy' - we prefer keeping our fingers away from workshop grease and shop keeping, buying and selling to producing.

• :D
Reactions: mike killay

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com

Except the 'Spanish' e-bikes are often fully manufactured and assembled in Shanghai....I have a pile of EN 15194 certificates that are from a very well known Spanish e-bike supplier that are from SFS Shanghai.
We cannot assemble a bike for 50 dollars like they do in China and the U.K consumer demands product as cheap as possible,sadly 'made in the U.K.' has no price cache.
I have some of the Kudos bikes made in Tianjin,the manufacturer is an expert at making frames and seats,I was shown around the factory and there are piles of frames on pallets with well known Austrian and German ID labels,some even have labels in German!!!!
This manufacturer produces some wonderful product,the quality of their welding and the heat treatment facilities are expertly controlled. They make some beautiful sports bikes,with high end spec (D2 electronic gearing) but the anti dumping duty makes it uneconomic to import to the UK.....maybe post Brexit if the anti dumping duty is eliminated it may be attractive to import to the UK?
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I agree Mike, losing China will certainly damage the industry. The European manufacturers simply don’t like the competition. The Chinese built and expanded the market now the European manufacturers want it for themselves.

Here is one remainer rapidly turning into a leaver!
David......
Don't swop sides just because you think that our government will delete anti dumping duties post Brexit.
May could easily continue with the anti-dumping duties,explaining that she is protecting our vulnerable industries. She would pocket the duty rather than give it to the EU,very tempting to a government short of money !!!
KudosDave