EBMA files an anti dumping complaint on chinese e-bikes.

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Is there any way for customers (as opposed to manufacturers) to get involved in this? My concern would be the effect of anti-circumvention measures on the cost of spares for existing bikes.

D

Deleted member 4366

What I don't understand is why these guys are fighting against Chinese imports, when Bosch themselves have their stuff made in China.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Is there any way for customers (as opposed to manufacturers) to get involved in this? My concern would be the effect of anti-circumvention measures on the cost of spares for existing bikes.
Sorry but no, however please rest assured we are collectively doing all we can to avoid this round of protectionism.

All the best, David

Reactions: Emo Rider

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What I don't understand is why these guys are fighting against Chinese imports, when Bosch themselves have their stuff made in China.
I think they target Bafang and Shimano mid drives because the two companies have the technology to win market share.
I don't think they bother much about hub drive bikes.

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes but Shimano are the good guys from Japan not the bad guys from China:D

• :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yes but Shimano are the good guys from Japan not the bad guys from China:D
it is a pretty futile exercise from the EBMA - in a few years, Bosch may have to go back to making washing machines and fridges.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
it is a pretty futile exercise from the EBMA - in a few years, Bosch may have to go back to making washing machines and fridges.
They often don't even do that. A few years ago I saw a Bosch fridge in a store that seemed to have trim already peeling off it and looking shoddy. Investigating around the back revealed it was made in China.

• :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
They often don't even do that. A few years ago I saw a Bosch fridge in a store that seemed to have trim already peeling off it and looking shoddy. Investigating around the back revealed it was made in China.
even so, I am still a sucker to German made home appliances.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Miele if you can afford it. Their appliances are designed to last twenty years as opposed to the built-in obsolescence of other makes.
Others can last if treated well. I had a bottom of the range Indesit washing machine that lasted me 27 years, and even then I only replaced it because I couldn't be bothered to replace a pump hose which was still available, so decided to treat myself to a new one. During that 27 years I only replaced the door seal quite late in its life.

For the five years since it went I've been using a cheap Beko without any problems.

I've no idea how good Miele are, but have noted the several times a year that the Miele service van called on a neighbour to repair their washing machine. That doesn't give me confidence, though of course they may be misusing the machine.

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
Others can last if treated well. I had a bottom of the range Indesit washing machine that lasted me 27 years, and even then I only replaced it because I couldn't be bothered to replace a pump hose which was still available, so decided to treat myself to a new one. During that 27 years I only replaced the door seal quite late in its life.

For the five years since it went I've been using a cheap Beko without any problems.

I've no idea how good Miele are, but have noted the several times a year that the Miele service van called on a neighbour to repair their washing machine. That doesn't give me confidence, though of course they may be misusing the machine.
I have it on good authority that they were using this machine to launder concrete paving slabs. This had worked well for 24 years but then one hose developed a minor leak.....seriously.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have it on good authority that they were using this machine to launder concrete paving slabs. This had worked well for 24 years but then one hose developed a minor leak.....seriously.
Sarcasm? One's personal experience is as good as any other's whether it relates to Indesit or Miele.

Mine doesn't indicate the presence of built in obsolescence.

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
Sarcasm? One's personal experience is as good as any other's whether it relates to Indesit or Miele.

Mine doesn't indicate the presence of built in obsolescence.
Not sarcasm....self-deprecating humour.........why assume otherwise?

You're not likely to see the built-in obsolescence but the thickness of the s/s used in the drum is calculated to give a life of 7/8 years.
There is or was a website run by a pro repair man who gave a meticulous run-down on all manufacturers' machines including life expectancy and quality. No matter the multiplicity of brands there are not so many manufacturers it seems but I do remember that German manufacturers came first in quality terms and Miele led the pack.
Back in the fifties and early sixties the machines were made to last and the design of newer "front loading" machines with a horizontal load applied to the bearings was of an inferior design to the older "top-loading" design with regard to longevity.
Little did you realise when you replied that I would prove such a cornucopia of knowledge.....am I right? :rolleyes:

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No matter the multiplicity of brands there are not so many manufacturers it seems

Little did you realise when you replied that I would prove such a cornucopia of knowledge.....am I right? :rolleyes:
Indeed, but I was well aware of how few manufacturers there are from my former connections in the supply chain. The big Italian makers have long been into own brand manufacturing, and I'd be surprised if Turkey's Beko didn't do that too, given their low costs.

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
Steve Jobs on why he liked Miele washing machines:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/steve-jobs-on-choosing-a-washe-140953
Nothing about mechanical reliability though.
From the Miele website.

"Miele Quality
For more than 100 years it has been a proven adage that you can trust Miele and rely on our appliances. We are the only manufacturer in our branch of industry to test products such as our washing machines, tumble dryers, dishwashers and ovens to the equivalent of 20 years' use. Once a Miele, always a Miele: Miele customers around the world remain loyal to Miele and recommend Miele to others. Looking to the future, we promise not to entertain any compromises when it comes to the dependability and durability of our appliances.
https://www.miele.co.uk/domestic/good-reasons-for-choosing-miele-441.htm

• Informative

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I bought Meile washing mc and separate dryer 7 years ago, with a 10 year warranty offered by John Lewis at the time. They both still look brand new. I did manage to damage the door lock on the washer when my wife washed my phone recently, they came out and fixed it FOC! Fantastic service.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I had to change a part on a Miele dishwasher. Just a gasket developed a leak but I had to buy the whole plastic part (made in Poland) to replace it. I also had to change a drum assembly on my Samsung washing machine because one bearing was knackered...

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The EU have approved the anti-dumping measures, they come into force on the 20th December.

Link