EddieO R.I. P.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Very sad news today that Eddie O'Callaghan (EddieO on this forum until he spoke his mind once too often) died last night.

He had been in poor health for a long time, although still motorhoming and e-biking, but became seriously ill with secondary cancer early this year and went into hospital a week or so back. It was very quick once he was diagnosed - probably better for him, but very tough on his family.

I'll miss his knowledge and humour, as well as his sharp tongue on occasion - he was one of the good guys.

R.I.P. Eddie, and my deepest sympathy to your wife and family.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Very sad news today that Eddie O'Callaghan (EddieO on this forum until he spoke his mind once too often) died last night.

He had been in poor health for a long time, although still motorhoming and e-biking, but became seriously ill with secondary cancer early this year and went into hospital a week or so back. It was very quick once he was diagnosed - probably better for him, but very tough on his family.

I'll miss his knowledge and humour, as well as his sharp tongue on occasion - he was one of the good guys.

R.I.P. Eddie, and my deepest sympathy to your wife and family.
That is sad,I was often on the wrong end of his sometimes forceful character but what he said was sensible,albeit not always easy to achieve.
Many of the mods,especially on the MTB series were a direct result of his comments.
My sympathies to his family.
Dave

Reactions: LeighPing

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
My sympathies also, sad indeed

I was usually on the sidelines of any discussions but certainly he made folk think and was a force for change (as per Dave)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for bringing the sad news Hugh, I'd been in private contact with Eddie many times, occasionally posting on his behalf, but not very recently.

I've missed his presence and ascerbic comments in this forum, but in my opinion he always enriched it.

My sympathy to his wife and family.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Respect, he was his own legend.

HelenJ

Administrator
Staff member
May 19, 2011
Thanks for the post Hugh, very sorry to hear that. Our condolences to his family.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Really sorry to hear this news. He added to the range of characters who frequent this forum.

I've liked Hugh's post. Not because I'm pleased at the news, more that I liked EddieO's presence on here.

PS. Forgot to mention the thing I liked most about Eddie. He had there rare ability to move on and not harbour a grudge. We occasionally had heated disagreement, but he would not carry that forward. When the next topic came along, he'd be friendly as if nothing had happened. That's a rare quality and Eddie seemed to have plenty of it.

Last edited:

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
So saddened to hear this. I really missed Eddie on this forum, he could be a rascal, but was always informative and helpful and I really enjoyed reading his posts .

I'd hoped that one day he'd return to the forum

My sincere sympathies to his lovely family who he often posted pictures of on his motor home travels.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Eddieo was one of the reasons why I continued to look in on this forum for years after my first visit, before actually taking membership. Later, I got to know him reasonably well off-site purely by email contact as we had quite a bit in common.

In my mind, Eddie's contributions were in the main useful, certainly from the perspective of someone who doesn't enjoy the best of health yet still wants to cycle as much as possible without resort to the moped-type machines I see some people using. There were three or four regular contributors besides Flecc who stirred my interest back in 2008/9 and Eddieo was one.

Eddie was more than just a contributor, he was a character and could be capricious, some incurring his wrath by singing the praises of ebikes outside of Eddie's sphere of appreciation, if I can put it like that. At other times, he could be inquiring and enthusiastic about comments and descriptions of bikes he hadn't seen or hadn't ridden. Sometimes he was humorous in his put-downs of some members' over-hyped reviews of bikes that were....well, just not very good at all. On other occasions, he was downright scathing but most forumites on the internet understand that a thick skin and a sense of humour is required if you want to get involved in opinionated discussion.

I'm very sad though unsurprised to hear of Eddie's passing and I shall miss his sometimes ascerbic wit. My heartfelt condolences go out to his wife and family.

RIP Eddieo

Tom

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
just had a look at " ascerbic "means a lot of things
must have been a great wit,
RIP

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Hugh,

I spoke to Eddie only a couple of weeks ago and although I knew he was not at all well, the news has shocked and deeply saddened me.

I knew Eddie well, he was a great supporter and mentor, it was Eddie who introduced us to our German supplier.

He was a kind and generous man with a wicked sense of humour that was sometimes misunderstood. Eddie's wit and somewhat agressive banter were what drew me to the forum, his barbed comments were often made 'tongue in cheek' and would have me laughing out loud. It was sad he was never allowed back, the Pedelecs community lost someone very special.

Eddie was a devoted family man and will be badly missed by all who knew him.

My deepest sympathy go to his wife and family.

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I have this morning spoken to Eddie's wife and have passed on your messages of sympathy.

I have been asked to say a few words about Eddie at his funeral. I would like to use some of the posts from the forum to demonstrate the high regard and affection in which Eddie was held.

If anyone would rather I did not use your posts please let me know in a PM.

Many thanks, David

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
That's sad. I've missed his contributions. Good on you David - hope it goes okay.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I have this morning spoken to Eddie's wife and have passed on your messages of sympathy.

I have been asked to say a few words about Eddie at his funeral. I would like to use some of the posts from the forum to demonstrate the high regard and affection in which Eddie was held.

If anyone would rather I did not use your posts please let me know in a PM.

Many thanks, David
That's good David - I know you knew Eddie for a long time and you'll do him proud.

Reactions: flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
If it wasn't for Eddiie I would have bought into BH, his wisdom saved me.

Thank you Eddie.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Like most interesting people Eddie was often controversial but always interesting. You could never accuse him of being boring. The forum was not the same without him.

RIP Eddie

Reactions: Wisper Bikes