Eeze /Lion Battery / Charger

mcadavies

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2007
Bradford-on-avon. Wilts
I have been riding my Eeze Sprint 7 once or twice a week for nearly 5 years.
I fitted my third battery about 18 months ago.
Now the charger is showing the 'green' charged light but it is obviously has not charged the battery - after 48 hours the cycle battery light is still orange.
Anyone to share experiences - have I reached the end of the cahrger life? What should I replace it with? Where from?
Anyone living near BA15 from whom I could borrow a charger to prove that the batery is still OK?
Michael

C

Cyclezee

Hi Michael,

eZee batteries when properly maintained are lasting well over 2 years these days. I have one that is 3 years old and still performing well.

It might well be the charger that is at fault. Unfortunately, you are a hundred miles away from Milton Keynes, but if you are prepared to make the trip, I could charge your battery with my charger and at the same time try to charge one of my batteries with your charger to eliminate what is at fault. If you require a new charger, I have them in stock.

Regards,

Regards,

mcadavies

Dec 14, 2007
Bradford-on-avon. Wilts
Hi John,
Thanks for the offer - I am coming to Brackley at the end of the month so might make it to MK!
What price are you quoting for a new eZee Sprint 7 Li-ion charger?
I have seen £100 quoted but also there seem to be others at 1/3 of this - what do you recomend?
best wishes
Michael

C

Cyclezee

Hi Michael,

We normally charge £95 for the 4Ah smart charger, but we are having an end of year sale, £100 off kits and 10% off spare parts and accessories, that would make a charger £85.50 including delivery within the UK.
N.B. These offers are are for payments by bank transfer, cheque or cash, but not PayPal due to the costs involved.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
If the charger says it's charging when it isn't and the battery fuses/connections are fine then charger is at fault.

I wouldn't mind paying close to a £100 for a charger if it were guaranteed to last a reasonable amount of time i.e. the lifetime of the battery. However, since failing chargers are common (I'm on the 5th one in 18 months!) I'd go for the cheaper options.

If you've had the same charger for 5 years that is quite impressive.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The HP chargers that eZee and Wisper have used have a good record of long term reliability. There was one brief point late in 2007 when a small batch failed due to a faulty zener diode, the chargers having to be replaced under warranty.

Mine are five and a half years old and still working perfectly.

mcadavies

Dec 14, 2007
Bradford-on-avon. Wilts
Eeze Sprint 7 Battery - a saga!

Eeze Sprint 7 Batteries
I have almost come to the end of my tether with this bicycle.

Originally purchased in Feb 2007 from 50Cycles.
Used intermittently – mainly 12 miles return trip twice per week (in dry warm weather!)

After 7 months Battery 1 severely deteriorated - I applied to the small claims court and was awarded £255 in Dec 2008 since it failed to achieve it’s advertised performance..
Purchased new battery (2) in Jan 2009.
Mr Ching supplied a new battery (3) in Sep 2010 at discounted price.
I think that lasted about 1 year since Mr Ching again kindly supplied a discounted (new design) battery (4) in Nov 2011. (Suspecting the charger I purchased a new charger but have not had to use it since the original one still functions.)

In April I went for a short ride, knowing that the battery (4) was not fully charged. It cut out. There after it refused to charge.
Mr Ching wanted me to ship Batteries 3 & 4 back to him in China, at his cost, for a technical investigation but TNT would only ship them as ‘hazardous’ material.

Mr Ching suggested that there was an internal fuse that might have blown. I broke the seals and opened the newer Battery 4 – no obvious replaceable fuse.

I opened Battery 3 (previous design) – that has an internal fuse that had blown – purchased a replacement fuse from a motor bike dealer.
That on a couple of short rides Battery 3 seems to charge and function correctly.
Lesson learnt – some batteries have an internal fuse that can be replaced.

I am not going to buy another battery or electric bike – too expensive to run!

I have a spare charger if anyone needs one – open to offers!

Michael

C

Cyclezee

Hi Michael,

A little bit of history.
The original Lithium Ion batteries supplied with eZee bikes in 2007 were manufactured by Phylion were only covered by a 6 month warranty and quite frankly the majority were a disaster.

The next generation were much improved and had a 1 year warranty.

The current range of Lithium Polymer eZee batteries that we supply have a 2 year warranty, use Samsung cells, and are arguably the best on the market and have much longer life expectancy.

Did you contact the UK supplier about the problems and what was their response?

I can appreciate your disappointment, but if there is anything that I can do to help please let me know.

I have sent you a PM.

Last edited by a moderator: