Efficient Battery Charging

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Hi guys and gals, now we have our bikes sorted thanks to your helpful posts, I'd like to ask about how you guys charge your batteries, during use in good weather and storage in bad weather.

Before you all yell at me, I HAVE searched the forum first - "battery charging" gave me 449 posts!!!:eek: I have also read a lot about the subject on t'internet and Juicy provide a useful online video about battery care that I have looked at.

We will be using the bikes rarely in Winter due to ice/cold/wet/winds (it IS Lancashire), and for leisure in fair weather at other times. They both have lithium li-ion cells.

From what I have read I am thinking of charging the batteries to full charge every 2 months when not in use, then taking them off charge.
When in use we would ride them then charge them fully every time regardless of how far we have ridden and keep them on the chargers until we next ride, so that they are on full capacity when we next set off.

The bikes are stored in a garage. Both batteries cut off automatically when they get to full charge.

Does that sound right or do others do it differently? We want to take good care of the batteries so any suggestions would be appreciated.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
If the batteries are to be left for a time, and two months is a fair time, it’s generally agreed that they should be at about two thirds charge. Then charge them up before you use them, and leave at about two thirds charge again. If they are to be left for an extended period that is.

Batteries should be charged every trip but not if it’s a very short one of a couple of miles or so. If in a garage they don’t like getting very cold. I leave mine indoors at a cool room temperature.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As John says, and make sure you do charge every couple of months while they are out of use. If left beyond three months many batteries can become useless due to slow self-discharge taking cells down into the failure region.

If you find it's not easy to leave it at two-thirds charge at intermediate charge stages, don't worry, a full charge is much better than it running down to very low while standing.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I left the Phyllium battery of my Tonaro for about 5 months.
When I put it on charge, it was still full.
Thinking that it had lost capacity, I took it for a ride, but it was OK
?????
Perhaps newer batteries are performing better, although this one is 4 years old.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
I've read about charging to 2/3 but how can I tell if the battery is at 2/3 charge? The garage can get down to about 10dgC but we would prefer to charge them insitu, which would be on the bikes, in the garage - is that too cold?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
No it’s freezing that can damage them. But it’s not recommended to charge at too cold a temperature either. The best way is to ride the bike with a fully charged battery for about a quarter or third of its range and then store it.

Best to get some idea of its normal range where you are using it anyway, since you can’t rely on the battery lights. Is a manual available online for your bikes? It should tell you if initial battery conditioning is recommended or not.

Reactions: JuicyBike

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
No it’s freezing that can damage them. But it’s not recommended to charge at too cold a temperature either. The best way is to ride the bike with a fully charged battery for about a quarter or third of its range and then store it.

Best to get some idea of its normal range where you are using it anyway, since you can’t rely on the battery lights. Is a manual available online for your bikes? It should tell you if initial battery conditioning is recommended or not.
Yes for the Juicy Classic but not that I'm aware for the Vita Uno 26 (Kudos Cobra dressed up). There is no initial conditioning for the Juicy.
Thanks for your explanations, I am a bit happier about how to look after the batteries now.

Andy_H

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
The garage can get down to about 10dgC
Your lucky, my garage can get below freezing point (but it is detached from my little bungalow), I intend to store the battery indoors when not in use, which is all the time at the moment as its raining every day :(

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
LLass: You could always take a look at our own electric bike battery care advice. From what you've already said my only concern would be charging your batteries in the garage at low temperature. You should really bring them indoors and allow to warm up to room temperature before charging, when it's near to freezing outside. Mind you, your garage sounds quite warm at minimum 10 degrees C. That's almost balmy by Buxton standards!

Reactions: flash

Peter Ball

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2015
Hi guys and gals, now we have our bikes sorted thanks to your helpful posts, I'd like to ask about how you guys charge your batteries, during use in good weather and storage in bad weather.

Before you all yell at me, I HAVE searched the forum first - "battery charging" gave me 449 posts!!!:eek: I have also read a lot about the subject on t'internet and Juicy provide a useful online video about battery care that I have looked at.

We will be using the bikes rarely in Winter due to ice/cold/wet/winds (it IS Lancashire), and for leisure in fair weather at other times. They both have lithium li-ion cells.

From what I have read I am thinking of charging the batteries to full charge every 2 months when not in use, then taking them off charge.
When in use we would ride them then charge them fully every time regardless of how far we have ridden and keep them on the chargers until we next ride, so that they are on full capacity when we next set off.

The bikes are stored in a garage. Both batteries cut off automatically when they get to full charge.

Does that sound right or do others do it differently? We want to take good care of the batteries so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Peter Ball

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2015
We invested £90 on a Tacx Antares bike trainer and front fork support. It's absolutely brilliant, it means we can use the bikes and help keep ourselves fit at the same time. The duchess and I do, on average, 30 miles a week on each bike during the winter months.
Best £90 I've invested in a long while, a little bit noisy in use but it's in the garage anyhow so no problem.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
LLass: You could always take a look at our own electric bike battery care advice. From what you've already said my only concern would be charging your batteries in the garage at low temperature. You should really bring them indoors and allow to warm up to room temperature before charging, when it's near to freezing outside. Mind you, your garage sounds quite warm at minimum 10 degrees C. That's almost balmy by Buxton standards!
The garage is brick built and is attached to the house so it doesn't get too cold, but I take your point about bringing the batteries in for Winter, maybe into one of the spare bedrooms. In a really cold snap it can get down below 10 degrees as we are at 750ft.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
We invested £90 on a Tacx Antares bike trainer and front fork support. It's absolutely brilliant, it means we can use the bikes and help keep ourselves fit at the same time. The duchess and I do, on average, 30 miles a week on each bike during the winter months.
Best £90 I've invested in a long while, a little bit noisy in use but it's in the garage anyhow so no problem.
Hi Peter. Looks like your posting is off thread. You might want to cut and paste it into a new thread so it won't be missed.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
We favour the 80/20 rule....it's not necessary to maintain at 2/3 rds....it's ok to fully charge if you are often using the bikes. But if you intend to store for some time,say more than 1 month....then charge fully and ride the bike for 20 mins,just to take the top off. ...then do same after 3 months.
It is important not to let the battery fully discharge but a good battery will self discharge maximum 2% per month so to flatten it completely will take some time,unless of course you flatten it and don't recharge.
Temperature wise,it is hard to get it too cold or too hot in the UK,unless you plan to visit Siberia or the Sahara.
KudosDave

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
We favour the 80/20 rule....it's not necessary to maintain at 2/3 rds....it's ok to fully charge if you are often using the bikes. But if you intend to store for some time,say more than 1 month....then charge fully and ride the bike for 20 mins,just to take the top off. ...then do same after 3 months.
It is important not to let the battery fully discharge but a good battery will self discharge maximum 2% per month so to flatten it completely will take some time,unless of course you flatten it and don't recharge.
Temperature wise,it is hard to get it too cold or too hot in the UK,unless you plan to visit Siberia or the Sahara.
KudosDave
Thanks Dave. Like Juicy's comments above, I especially value your opinion as one of our bikes is yours.

Peter Ball

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2015
Yes for the Juicy Classic but not that I'm aware for the Vita Uno 26 (Kudos Cobra dressed up). There is no initial conditioning for the Juicy.
Thanks for your explanations, I am a bit happier about how to look after the batteries now.
Hi Lancslass,
I was thinking more of charging batteries during the winter months

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Hi Lancslass,
I was thinking more of charging batteries during the winter months
I'm sorry Peter, I can see how your post ties in now. You effectively keep fit in Winter by employing the exercise unit that you have bought . I misunderstood.
What would be really good is if those roller units charged the battery as you are pedalling. Perhaps we should go on Dragons Den with the idea!

Peter Ball

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2015
I'm sorry Peter, I can see how your post ties in now. You effectively keep fit in Winter by employing the exercise unit that you have bought . I misunderstood.
What would be really good is if those roller units charged the battery as you are pedalling. Perhaps we should go on Dragons Den with the idea!
What a great idea if were possible, have to get the old grey matter working. Only problem is, you're a Lancslass and I'm a Yorkylad we'd never agree on the rose emblem to use.