Electric bicycle range reaching the 100 mile mark?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A to B magazine was dismissive of Giant's claims on the earlier version of this bike with those twin 10 Ah batteries, they got under 45 miles. Since it's had it's motor power increased and the regenerative charging feature removed since then, 100 miles would be highly unlikely even with the most favourable circumstances. It certainly wouldn't be anywhere near possible for Mr or Mrs Average.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
I think there might be a whole thread in here somewhere.
1) Take a recumbent optimised for speed
2) Add a properly aerodynamic fairing
3) Use just enough electric power assist
4) Bolt on high capacity Li-Poly batteries
Somewhere in there just might be a 100miles at 20mph electric assist bicycle. The big question is how much weight can you manage and can you make the recumbent friendly enough that it would make a daily vehicle.

And then of course there's the cost. Bents are not cheap even before you start adding electrics and fairings.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
what might be a realistic expectation from the 2011 Kalkhoff with an 18 Amp hour battery do you think?
Kalkhoff are quoting 140 km / 87 miles in normal assist mode (1:1) with a total weight of 110kg. In eco mode, you'd be well into 100 mile territory.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
So reasonable range e bike touring/camping touring is now a possibility with one battery (always feasible with 2 anyway)

For the majority I dont think most need the range? Unless you get an "S" model Panasonic, it will allow you to forget about economy mode and ride full power all the time I guess.....

so on a camping holiday, a well loaded bike could probably tour between overnight stops on full power...that would be nice I think

Last edited:

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
More like 6.5 hours for my average speed. Discomfort starts to creep in 2-3 hours for me. I can't imagine 6.5 hours being very pleasant at all!

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I do 20 miles a day and 10Ahs is not enough. Looking forward to having a bigger battery one day so I don't have to charge at work. Boy does the stop start of traffic kill the battery.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
what might be a realistic expectation from the 2011 Kalkhoff with an 18 Amp hour battery do you think?
Based on my experience with a Kalkhoff Agattu and the 10 Ah battery, with the 18 Ah battery I'd expect 60 miles with ease and up to 90 miles in moderate terrain if cycling for economy.

The figures I got with the 10 Ah battery were 30/35 miles with ease and about 50 miles for economy by using standard power mode and occasionally switching off the power when the going was easy. The alternative economy method of using the Eco power setting all the time gave 46 miles for A to B magazine.

Both ways would give about 83 to 90 miles tops with the 18 Ah battery, but a powerful rider can do better. A friend of member Fecn managed 62 miles with a little left in the 10 Ah Agattu battery on a southern counties run, so he might get about 112 to 120 miles.

These reflect the automatically very high efficiency of the Panasonic system, way ahead of that of the system used by Giant in their current hub motor models. Like most e-bikes, they are very much more dependent on rider skill to get high mileage ranges.

All these are for the standard gearing, gearing up for higher assist speeds as many do hits the range, often quite severely with much higher assist speeds. An Agattu or Pro Connect ridden for maximum performance with a 16 tooth rear sprocket and power assist to about 20 mph gives as little as 18 miles from the 10 Ah battery for some members, so in that extreme circumstance, the 18 Ah battery might only equate to about 32 miles.

Dan hits the nail on the head though, who wants to ride distances like 100 miles at less than 14 mph average?

Last edited:

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
The touring possibilities also appeal to me.

There is also the likelihood that the battery will last longer due to being less stressed.

I've seldom run my battery flat and always stop charging when 5 lights first show.

Seems to work as my battery range doesn't seem to have dropped at all in 15 months.

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
I too like the idea of a decent touring range, 100+ miles sounds good to me!

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
I am getting 4 miles per Ah (always pedalling on high power setting-250v motor), so my 10ah battery could carry me 40miles but i think 35 miles is more realistic.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Exactly the same Sanyo derived motor and twin 26 volt lithium battery option for the claimed 100 miles range though. What was said earlier still applies. The panel shaped batteries are hidden behind the Giant custom panniers, which were also available for the earlier model.

Scatty

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2009
Of course but how many electric bike suppliers can say that there mileage is accurate :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Of course but how many electric bike suppliers can say that there mileage is accurate :D
True to a reducing extent, but A to B's a little over 40 miles is a very long way from 100 miles. :rolleyes:

After earlier years of widespread exaggeration, many e-bike companies do now publish quite reasonable and attainable low/high figures for the range extremes. Giant were one of the better companies for this at one time but their standards seem to have slipped somewhat.

At the root of the problem is the hybrid nature of e-bikes of course, the way the human element is able to grossly distort outcomes, plus the unduly large influence that the terrain has on a very low powered vehicle. These enable a company to distort at will.