Electric bike 250w road legal with 120km battery on one charge

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Is this ELECTRIC BIKE 250W ROAD LEGAL WITH 120KM BATTERY ON ONE CHARGE | eBay possible?
I know batteries have improved & the vendor has applied the usual weight and conditions get out clause but I always thought 20 miles was 'pushing it'.
Hmmm ... When I was young and fit I used to have a road bike that often covered 100 miles a day. Come to think - it didn't even have an electric motor ... top speed was quite impressive too, especially downhill.
Tom (much slower these days but the electric grin is firmly in place).

;-)

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Well it is fitted with a 16ah battery which is larger than on most bikes so allowing for this the claim is within normal range for e bikes (most 8-9 AH bikes seem to claim 80-90 km). My experience is that in real world if you half the claimed figure that more like reality.

How good the bike is, is a completely different matter.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
From that battery and motor combination around 48 miles / 76 kilometers is practical for an averagely fit person whose consumption will typically be about 12 Wh per mile from that 576 Wh battery.

Unfit riders can use 20 Wh or more per mile, meaning a range of 22 to 28 miles.

120 km means a consumption of 7.7 Wh per mile, only possible on this type of hub-motor bike with a fitter than average rider putting in considerable assistance all the time.

Last edited:

yselmike

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2011
purmerend
On a good road,in the dry.no headwind,maybe the wind behind you.
I do the same 19km trip to work and back sometimes I have one light out
another time 4 out of five out.the wind is the killer.
thats riding on high and gear 8.
put it in eco its slow but I might get 100-120km on my 16ah battery.

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
I have the 500w version, and have got 40 miles out of the battery without flattening it (mostly on level 3 of the 5 setting assist, average speed 18mph)

The bike is generic chinese, but is quite good quality, and very similar to the Freego, Bearprint and lifecycle offerings. I think they represent good value for money

Nick

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
From that battery and motor combination around 48 miles / 76 kilometers is practical for an averagely fit person whose consumption will typically be about 12 Wh per mile from that 576 Wh battery.

Unfit riders can use 20 Wh or more per mile, meaning a range of 22 to 28 miles.

120 km means a consumption of 7.7 Wh per mile, only possible on this type of hub-motor bike with a fitter than average rider putting in considerable assistance all the time.
And a lot less in Richmond where they are selling them, its a bit hilly :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And a lot less in Richmond where they are selling them, its a bit hilly :D
Not really, it's hilly where I am in the North Downs!

In fact hills don't make a lot of difference if bikes are given their head downhill instead of braking, since that returns most of what is put in as kinetic energy. If a rider puts in a bit of extra effort uphill as most do, the end result is often no different.

The figures I gave are from the feedback of a cross section of members in various territories on their ranges and battery sizes, so actual rather than theoretical. 12 Wh per mile is a very common consumption zone among e-bikers.

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
The ad is slightly misleading though, and I have to confess to being partially responsible.

The seller, although a nice guy and successful businessman in other areas, does not really understand the market - e.g.

DUE TO THE SLIMLINE 36V/16AH PRO 4 PING BATTERY. (water bottle in picture not included)

It is neither a Ping, nor from the weight do I believe it to be lifepo4. It's not heavy enough.

I think it is in fact a Lithium Polymer. When I bought my bike, I examined the battery, and saw a Ping reference, but on closer inspection, and with the benefit of reading glasses, the Ping reference was, and I quote

"the quality insurance for this product is provided by PING AN INSURANCE COMPANY OF CHINA"

Unfortunately, I gave the vendor the impression that this was a potential selling point. He didn't similarly pick up on the fact that I also advised him that there was no such thing as a Life PRO battery - or if he did , he liked the ring for marketing purposes.

It doesn't however distract from the fact that these are good bikes at a good price, if you can live with the e-bay business model.

I've had mine 6 months, done over 1000 miles, with no real issues.

I would repeat that with support, a bike of this spec will cost around £1250 - £1600 depending on the supplier.

The battery is not bad, the build quality quite good, the UK supplier lacks resource to fix anything, although he seems honest.

"You pays your money, and you takes your choice"

Nick

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
You are totally right Flecc

So misleading to all new ebike beginners,but not to the professionals,depending on the contingence
i know for a fact and based on my experience you are looking at up to the 28mile mark.

Mountainsport.

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
Thanks for the links but £570 puts it out of my reach at the moment, 'though I've got another cyclone kit build coming up :)