Electric bike advice please

JamieP

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2013
Hi :)

Me and a couple of friends are looking for a new hobby, we use to do a lot of green laning on enduro motorbikes but we have all grown up a bit, had kids and given up motorbikes.

We want something for recurational fun, I'd say 50/50 road and forest tracks.

First off we started looking at conversion kits for our mountain bikes, then I spotted the Haibike and they look great, but a lot of money, the RC29 is the one that has took our interest, I am planning to call them up Monday for some advice and book a test ride.

Are they really worth the mone? Any other better options out there or should I look towards maybe putting a kit on my bike?

Also I'm a big lad, 6ft4" and 18 stone so need something with a bit of power.

Thanks Jamie.

Last edited:

JamieP

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2013
This is the bike I use now, it's got hydraulic disk brakes and some of the kits don't seem to work with them brakes I've read, is there any kits that work with hydraulic brakes?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Jamie,

Haibikes are nice, but as you say, a lot of money.

I have the same Bosch motor on a trekking bike and I think you will find it a bit weedy for trail work.

Particularly true if you see it as coming down from your motorbike experience, rather than going up from your pedal bike experience.

Others on here are expert in conversions, but your bike looks eminently doable to me.

A 500W hub motor will slaughter the Bosch one on the Haibike.

It also gives you the option of a hand throttle, which might add to your mud plugging fun.

Last edited:

JamieP

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2013
I don't mind spending the money if they are really that good.

I have to admit I do like power and speed, I liked the sound of the Haibike as with I the Bosch motor I'd imagine it's very reliable.

Going to google "Trekking Bosch" now.

I could be tempted by a kit if they make more power though, are the kits easy to fit?

Anyone near beaconsfield that offers a fitting service?

thanks for the help.

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
The kit I am selling is easy to fit. 1-2 hours to fit tops.

A friend is going to High Wycombe on a course next week, could deliver it if interested.

Don't go for a 250w kit, you will be dissapointed.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I don't mind spending the money if they are really that good.

I have to admit I do like power and speed, I liked the sound of the Haibike as with I the Bosch motor I'd imagine it's very reliable.

Going to google "Trekking Bosch" now.

I could be tempted by a kit if they make more power though, are the kits easy to fit?

Anyone near beaconsfield that offers a fitting service?

thanks for the help.
Kit suppliers in Banbury and Milton Keynes.

Both post on here and have good reputations.

Welcome to Xipi

electric bikes and conversion kits - Home

JamieP

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2013
The kit I am selling is easy to fit. 1-2 hours to fit tops.

A friend is going to High Wycombe on a course next week, could deliver it if interested.

Don't go for a 250w kit, you will be dissapointed.
Thanks, I will have a read of your advert, I'm not going to jump into anything until live done some research though, I want to be sure I buy the right kit/bike.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Jamie P

I am in the workshop catcing up

so if you give me a call and pop on the M40 you will be hear in about 1 hour junction 11 M40

we have both 48 volt kit and 70 volt kits on demo bikes

coment from a customer

WOW!!!!

Very impressive, cant stop smiling, I think you may have just caused the death of the motocross/ enduro motorbike.

well done, I didnt think I would ride anything as exiting as a KTM 530 but you have proved me wrong, this is a whole new ball game, no sound, more ground, and poeple smile at you rather than waving their fists.

Thanks again

Lee

Frank

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Hi Jamie,

Firstly welcome to forum.

I don't know your location, but if you are within traveling distance of Milton Keynes, you are welcome to come along for some test rides.

JamieP

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2013
Thanks guys, I can't do anything today as I have family coming over.

If you have time I would love to hear what you have that you think will work for us.

Feel free email me any prices, pictures.

price490@btinternet.com

Jamie.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

If there's enough money in the budget, you can build a really nice bike - much better than a Haibike. The most expensive bike I built was about £1200 including the cost of the donor. Yours has a large triangle, so los of options for battery installation. You're only limited by your imagination when it comes to building a bike because there's so many different kits and motors. You have the choice of front, rear or middle motor, or any combination thereof. For off-road, I prefer two small motors to one big one. The traction is so good, it transforms your bike a Landrover that can go anywhere. Saneagle has a low-speed front motor and a high-speed rear one, which gives a nice blend of traction, climbing power and speed. What kit you choose depends on how fast you want to go, how much climbing power you need and how far you want to go balanced against weight, cost and complexity. The Haibike's OK as long as you want to pedal all the time - sometimes hard.

JamieP

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2013
Trouble is I've not really got a clue about building a bike.

I've got a real busy week this week , but the week after is not to bad so I plan to go view a few kits/bikes to make my mind up, have to say I love the look of the Haibike, but if the others perform better I may well be tempted.

I will report back, in the mean time if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

Jamie.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Jamie,

First off nice R35 :) I have not long sold mine.
Also feel free to give me a buzz tomorrow.

We are the largest Haibike dealer in the UK, we also have all the models in stock for you to try. Give me a call ill happily talk you through the range.

If you want to watch my video overview it's here- Haibike xDuro RC 29 2014 Electric Bike Overview | ebikeshop news

Or here for full spec and reviews - Haibike xDuro RC 29 2014

Regards
Martin

JamieP

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2013
I'm booked in with Martin to have a go on the haibike Saturday morning, I've been looking at what else is available in my £3000 budget, KTM ebikes any good? Or any other suggestions for ready to ride bikes?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'm booked in with Martin to have a go on the haibike Saturday morning, I've been looking at what else is available in my £3000 budget, KTM ebikes any good? Or any other suggestions for ready to ride bikes?
There aren't many high quality, proper mountain ebikes.

Riese and Muller make a wide range of bikes, including full sussers, but they are more aimed at the trekking (very light off-road) market.

All of which could be good news for Martin.

You need to watch him, by the way, he'd sell a Haibike to a bloke in a wheelchair given the chance.

E-Bikes | riese und müller

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012